Thread: Compressor shot

Spyder Garage

Default Compressor shot

I took Charlotte to the dealer (High Country Power Sports in Salt Lake City) for some work and I asked them to calibrate the auto suspension along with all the other stuff.In the process of trying to do that they discovered that the compressor was shot. I remember at some point reading about someone else here with a limited with a bad compressor who found and aftermarket one for far less money. I can't find that thread. Does anyone remember that thread and who it was. I have a Zephyr warranty but not sure if it will cover the compressor. Anybody have any ideas.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

As you weigh your options going forward, you might want to consider a stiffer rear spring. My experience with a 2012 RTS led me down a path of installing stiffer rear spring so I didn't need the air suspension. After the spring change, I ran the bag at the lowest setting.

Here is the thread on the spring change: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-%28shock%29

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Here is the after market compressor. Way better than the POS stock compressor and fits right in. Just have to solder on the BRP connector.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Bob

That is the information I was looking for. I am going to call my warranty company this morning but if they wont cover it I'll be going this way.

Jerry thank you for the spring idea. I did not know there was that option and may very well do that as well.

I can pump up the shock thru the Schrader valve bur\t since the Limited came with this I would like to keep everything working if I can.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

FYI if you feel like tinkering.....

Most of the failures of the stock pump are due to the motor brushes wearing out. They can be replaced.
    There was a post here about a year ago of a guy that did it and as I recall it had picture or a video.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Getting common...

have seen a lot and once on the way back from SITR I stopped to see if I could help one of BRP's ambassador parker on the side of the road with his wife. Come to find he had to stop every number of miles and pull out a tire pump (compresso) and give the suspension a boost. Said they have been working on it for some time and it was not the first one to go bad...I think finless has the solution if your out of warranty...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Chupaca that experience would also seem to indicate that he has an airbag leak as well. Mine holds air just fine it just wont pump up only by hand.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 RT LTD (9k on it) that we got in July '14.

Last month on a long trip back home, the rear shock would not any air. Noticed it when we would hit a bump and we could hear and feel something scraping. I could put air in via the valve under the seat and you could see the back end raise up but with the two of on it, the air quickly left the shock empty again. Wife got to ride the rest of the way home with another Spyder pilot. With just me on the Spyder the rear shock would stay pumped up bit longer but after a hour or so it would be empty again.

During all of this, trying to use the switch to harden/soften the suspension would result in an error stating to use the manual air.

So when we got back home, took her to the shop and the tech came back with the news that the compressor needed to be replaced. Of course everytime I have needed anything that came from BRP results in a 10 business day delivery from Canada.

Anyway the compressor was replaced under warranty and all is well now. Although I'm not sure why a broken compressor would make the shock lose its air. Maybe someone here can edumakate me on it.

--Allen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by machead View Post
    I have a '14 RT LTD (9k on it) that we got in July '14.

Last month on a long trip back home, the rear shock would not any air. Noticed it when we would hit a bump and we could hear and feel something scraping. I could put air in via the valve under the seat and you could see the back end raise up but with the two of on it, the air quickly left the shock empty again. Wife got to ride the rest of the way home with another Spyder pilot. With just me on the Spyder the rear shock would stay pumped up bit longer but after a hour or so it would be empty again.

During all of this, trying to use the switch to harden/soften the suspension would result in an error stating to use the manual air.

So when we got back home, took her to the shop and the tech came back with the news that the compressor needed to be replaced. Of course everytime I have needed anything that came from BRP results in a 10 business day delivery from Canada.

Anyway the compressor was replaced under warranty and all is well now. Although I'm not sure why a broken compressor would make the shock lose its air. Maybe someone here can edumakate me on it.

--Allen
    Allen,

You may have it backwards. There maybe an airbag leak causing the pump to run all the time. Eventually, the pump, not designed to run but so many hours, fails. That is how you end up with a bad compressor + deflated air bag for the rear suspension.

Just a guess.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

But if the bag leaks the air will go to the atmosphere and the compressor will continue to run or run more often then it should.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Spring Stiffeners

We have had issues with the compressor working harder than I thought it should. We added two rear spring stiffeners and it has helped to stop the pump from working so hard. Well worth the $50 for a 1/2 set in my opinion.

Here is a link:
    http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!products/cdk6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Allen,

You may have it backwards. There maybe an airbag leak causing the pump to run all the time. Eventually, the pump, not designed to run but so many hours, fails. That is how you end up with a bad compressor + deflated air bag for the rear suspension.

Just a guess.

Jerry
    +100, I think some people that are seeing a compressor fail many times has a leak and thus the compressor wears out fast!
    I think some dealers find a bad compressor, replace it, but does not check for leaks.

As PMK said, you should not leak air just sitting there with the Spyder off as the compressor has a check valve. A way to test if you have a leak is to park the Spyder and check the pressure with the valve under the seat. Wait about 8 hrs and see what it reads again. If it dropped significantly, you have a leak and that will wear out the compressor.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I got hold of Zurich,the people who issued my extended warranty and since the compressor in NOT on the list of exempted systems they will repair it. I will have to pay a $50.00 deductible. I just have to get it to the dealer and he will call Zurich for the authorization and off we go. I will make sure they check the bag for leaks.

If it goes out again I think I will bypass the warranty and use the VIAIR compressor that Bob found. Thanks for the info Bob.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and thank you for your help.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Compressor check valve

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I got hold of Zurich,the people who issued my extended warranty and since the compressor in NOT on the list of exempted systems they will repair it. I will have to pay a $50.00 deductible. I just have to get it to the dealer and he will call Zurich for the authorization and off we go. I will make sure they check the bag for leaks.

If it goes out again I think I will bypass the warranty and use the VIAIR compressor that Bob found. Thanks for the info Bob.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and thank you for your help.
    I just went through this whole ordeal this summer, too. In the case of the OEM compressor, the check valve is a separate part that screws onto the outlet fitting. A new one won't come with the new compressor. In my case, the system wasn't holding air so I requested a new one just because. So, if you want a new one to go along with your new compressor you'll have to ask for it. About 30 bucks.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Timely!

We have run across quite a few bad shock/compressors lately. Bob, you are my hero! Great find!!! Finless rules!! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system