Spyder Garage

Default paddle shift conversion

I have a 2014 RT with conventional clutch and gears and because of progressive neurological damage to my left foot I can foresee the day when I wont be able to shift gears properly. I have spent around $5000 farkling my RT, no safety chrome, just stuff like lights etc to make me more visible to the cagers and myself to see better at night and I dont want to repeat the process on a new bike since I have done all the work myself. A heel and toe shifter is one solution, my question is has anyone ever put a paddle shifter on a conventionally clutched Spyder and is it even possible?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

To my knowledge, Major undertaking & new tranismission. Better off trading in & getting new bike with the set up you need. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OR POSSIBLY

I know someone here has way more knowledge about this than I do, so hopefully they will chime in........An AIR-SHIFTER might be a possibility .....price-wise I think it would be very competitive........jmho......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

or you could work up the old suicide shifter of yore.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

if your interested,i had one on my wing. it worked great, give the people a call

https://www.pingelonline.com/content...r-installs.asp
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Just my 2 cents

For what it's worth, I agree with the suggestion of someone else that you should just trade up for an SE model. Then you know it's been done right.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you be able to operate a heel-toe shift lever?
    I had one on my last "leaner", due to diabetic neuropathy...
    I could no longer raise my toes with enough force, to upshift.
    The "heel-toe", turned it all into stepping down on the pedals for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    I have a 2014 RT with conventional clutch and gears and because of progressive neurological damage to my left foot I can foresee the day when I wont be able to shift gears properly. I have spent around $5000 farkling my RT, no safety chrome, just stuff like lights etc to make me more visible to the cagers and myself to see better at night and I dont want to repeat the process on a new bike since I have done all the work myself. A heel and toe shifter is one solution, my question is has anyone ever put a paddle shifter on a conventionally clutched Spyder and is it even possible?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    O
    In the UK there is a.company called Kliktronic who make a gear changer for all motorcycles I used one on my BMW K100RT before I brought my Spyder SE5 and now my SE6 Do a search on Google to get more details
    http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

hope this helpd
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

https://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat...c-shifters.asp
    Found an electric shifter for Can-Am Spyder Rs so maybe Pingle can help you out for RT

Spyder Garage

Default shifter conversion

Wow!! what a great bunch of guys! Some really helpful suggestions with right to the point URL's, all of which I plan to look up. I have already thought of a heel and toe shifter tried to contact the gentleman on this board that makes/sells them ,but I never got a response. The candle is not burning my fingers yet, I can still shift fairly well, have to make sure the gears are really in synch and shifting from reverse into 1st with a cold tranny, I have to hold the clutch with the right hand and reach down with the left to pull up the lever. I am lifting weights trying to strengthen whatever muscles are still enervated that dorsiflex my L foot and toes.
    Last week I spent 10 hours in the saddle and never missed a shift.
    Thanks
    Andy

PS Bob Denman, I liked your Mighty Thor persona the best
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

This is on the Ping site:
    https://www.pingelonline.com/electric-shifter-kits/77401-universal-electric-speed-shifter-kit-7-8-handlebars-one-to-four-coil.asp
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    Wow!! I have already thought of a heel and toe shifter tried to contact the gentleman on this board that makes/sells them ,but I never got a response.
    PS Bob Denman, I liked your Mighty Thor persona the best
    Thor's cool... but this one is more in line with the Holiday...
    I know that Inspector Gadget had heel/toe shifters; I don't know if anyone else offers them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ELECTRIC SHIFTER

THEY OFFER ELECTRIC SHIFT, RAN ONE ON A 67 CHEVY II, IT WORKED OFF THE RPM'S. GUYS HAVE RUN THEM ON DRAG BIKES ALSO. YOU WILL HAVE TO WELD A BRACKET ON THE SHIFT ARM THAT SHIFTS THE TRANS. YOU ALSO HAVE TO PUT A KILL TIMER ON IT. THIS WILL BE A EASY JOB AND NOT A BUNCH OF MONEY. LOOK AROUND YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP IN YOUR AREA. FIND SOMEONE THAT DRAG RACES MOTORCYCLES, THEY WILL KNOW HOW TO HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK IF I CAN HELP YOU IN ANY WAY CALL ME. I WON'T BE ABLE TO DO THE WORK BUT I CAN GET YOU GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. MY NAME IS JERRY CALL ME 512-913-9015

Spyder Garage

I don't see the need for the kill switch here for the shift.Unless I miss understood and you ARE racing. If you just want he;p with changing gears,something to move the shift lever would work and you would work the clutch and throttle just as if you were shifting with your foot. The air shifters mentioned here will move the lever for you and should be fairly simple to install. However having said all that unless you are too heavily invested in what you have,either emotionally or financially,I would just trade for an SE and ride off into the sunset a happy rider.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've got a heel toe shifter I took off my 08 GS, you can have, not sure if I still have all the parts , but I'd be happy to send you what I have. Just send me your address.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the RT now with the paddle shift and noticed on mine that the foot shift arms are not there..Why would they be right..

But did notice it had the shift axle and I would think one could be converted to a paddle shift.

Have you called BRP and asked if it would be possible??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    I've got a heel toe shifter I took off my 08 GS, you can have, not sure if I still have all the parts , but I'd be happy to send you what I have. Just send me your address.
    Thanks for the offer, but I have already installed a heel&toe shifter which seems to be working OK for the time being, however if my foot drop gets worse I will have to look at some of the other options listed on this thread. I looked at the Pingle website, but they dont offer one for the 2014 RT and they advise that their universal shifter is not plug and play and is a rather complicated install process and I have no idea how the ignition interrupt would fit into the Can bus system. If the foot drop gets worse I will contact Pingle. I will be gone for the next two weeks by cage and after that , weather permitting I will get in some riding and see how itgoes.
    thanks for all the helpful hints and your generous offer.
    Andy
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446