Spyder Garage

Default 12v replacing gauge

Folks, I'm thinking that I will replace my gauges on my 2014 rt-s with a dual usb and also a 12v cig plug. Question -- is the gauge power be sufficient to power a typical Garmin gps directly using the cig plug or do I need to run power down to the battery? The other would be to charge my galaxy note4.

Spyder Garage

dual usb can be powered from the existing wiring, cig lighter needs to be powered from the battery.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

If you're just going to power a GPS from the cig lighter plug, then the gauge power should be enough.

If you're wanting to plug in something that draws more current (like heated gear), you need to run it to the battery.

Just wondering, where did you get your usb/cig lighter jacks? I've been looking for a source that fits the gauge openings myself, but all of the ones that I've found so far are too small to mount in the existing panel hole.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    dual usb can be powered from the existing wiring, cig lighter needs to be powered from the battery.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    Check out JO'S Machine Shop on the home page. Everything you need! :-)
    Jack & Carol Jo Stewart
    2015 Spyder RT-S SPECIAL
    TBR Slip On Exhaust
    Corbin Heated Lemonster seat with back rest
    Semi Hard Luggage
    BahaRon Swaybar
    JT's Dash Mount
    TricLED Front Fenders
    XenonDepot LED Headlights

More to follow! Lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlg View Post
    Folks, I'm thinking that I will replace my gauges on my 2014 rt-s with a dual usb and also a 12v cig plug. Question -- is the gauge power be sufficient to power a typical Garmin gps directly using the cig plug or do I need to run power down to the battery? The other would be to charge my galaxy note4.

We have a lot in common I have a 2014 RT LTD and I have USB on one side and 12 v on the other and I also charge my Note 4. I haven't had any problems. That is about all I know since I had the dealer to hook it up for me, but got everything from JT Shop on the home page as well. He has the spacer you need. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

I haven't bought the parts yet. Just working up the Christmas list now... I saw jt's shop here and that is probably what I'm going to get. Want to get his dash mount bar also to make a nice package....

Spyder Garage

FYI, for those (like me) with a 2015 RT, beware;

The 2015 has different gauges, I'm working on sorting out the difference. At this time the bezel screw holes will not line up on a 2015 RT.

Also, I couldn't find them on the home page anymore. Are they no longer a sponsorer? Found them at gnipsel dot com.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    FYI, for those (like me) with a 2015 RT, beware;

The 2015 has different gauges, I'm working on sorting out the difference. At this time the bezel screw holes will not line up on a 2015 RT.

Also, I couldn't find them on the home page anymore. Are they no longer a sponsorer? Found them at gnipsel dot com.

-Fratz

just so you found them reading the home page for them looks like software problems. Hope they stay around. Good FARKLES

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights