Thread: Hand Brake

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Does the hand brake replace the brake pedal or work with It. I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I realize the hand brake kit is expensive but in an emergency it may be life saver. Getting from Highway pegs to brake pedal takes a lot more time than a hand squeeze.
    Thanks RWC

Spyder Garage

The hand brake works with the foot brake,so you can use either or both at same time.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

the hand brake linkage (hydraulic operated) actually attaches to the foot brake linkage leaving both operational

I, too, want one
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HAND BRAKE

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    Does the hand brake replace the brake pedal or work with It. I would like to have my cake and eat it too. I realize the hand brake kit is expensive but in an emergency it may be life saver. Getting from Highway pegs to brake pedal takes a lot more time than a hand squeeze.
    Thanks RWC
    If you are asking " does adding the HAND BRAKE increase braking ability "......I would say NO, because nothing in the system has been increased to physically improve the braking ability ( like rotor surface etc. ) ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Thought about it and even with limited right foot movement got very used to the foot brake. The cost finally cinched it. But there are those who don't get used to not having a hand brake...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had one on my 2009 GS..I really used it at first,then found myself getting away from using it..It was due to the lever travel being too long for my smaller hands..I think they have an adjustable lever now..You may look into that...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    Thanks RWC
    That hand squeeze is not the same as an independent front wheel brake on a two wheeler. You have to put as much pressure on that lever as you do to push the foot brake and your hand and wrist must be strong enough to do that. My wife had one on her RT but we had to move it to the left side because she just didn't have enough hand and arm power to handle it on the right side.

If you get used to the Spyder foot braking system there is no need to worry about hand levers.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

I did not expect it to increase braking power but feel that it would provide faster response time in emergency. I have large strong hand so do not feel that reach or pressure would be a problem

Thanks for your responses I have the answer in that it does not replace pedal but works with it.
    RWC

Spyder Garage

Most have discussed that the hand brake (ISCI) requires a good strong hand to apply it for full effect.

You do not have additional braking with the handbrake. The foot brake activates all three wheels at once. The hand brake is just an extension of the system.

A choice to be made if you have the use of both your right foot and right hand for stopping.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Highway pegs

A while back I had a 750 Virago. I put engine guards (crash bars) with highway pegs on it. One day I was cruising with with my feet up on the highway pegs when a car darted out of a driveway. I found the front brake easy enough but that split second it took to "find" the foot brake almost ended in tragedy. As soon as I got home I took the highway pegs off and threw them in the trash. No more highway pegs for me!

Spyder Garage

I got the hand brake after I got my foot pegs. Didn't like riding in traffic with my foot no where near the brake. I have had it for 4 years and I rarley use the foot brake. Sometimes at a red light I will put my foot on the brake to rest my hand but that's about it.

Spyder Garage

Default Hand brake

After riding two wheels for 40 plus years I could not get used to not having hand brake.also having bad knees it is much faster to grab the hand brake.Even with arthritis in my hands I have no problem stopping the Spyder with the hand brake.ISCI installed brake at Spyderfest.Great guys,great product.

Spyder Garage

Default The hand brake....

...activates the foot brake. I have a very bad and not easily controlled right foot but, I have a huge right hand. That brake kit is the only reason I ride anything. I can no longer handle a 2-wheeler with confidence but, never afraid with my RT-S with the hand brake kit. That being said...even with my right foot such as it is, while I can't get to the brake as fast as I can with my hand, once I get there, I can apply more stopping power with my foot than with my hand. Not by a lot mind you....but the difference is noticeable. I am most glad to have it during the deer rut and birthing seasons when the local venison herds seem to loose their minds and dart out on the road willy-nilly. I ride with the hand brake covered.

Good Luck,

Mike
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!