Spyder Garage

Default How do you get an SE5 into neutral?

Bought a 2010 RS-S (it was a deal I could not pass up), and it's great, but it's an SE5 and I'm only used to the manual shift so far.

The bike did not come with an owner's manual and I haven't looked it up online yet (I apologize, I do plan on getting it and actually reading it) but if someone could tell me how to shift it into neutral, I would appreciate it.

So far I noticed it will shift into neutral if I turn off the engine OR if I shift into reverse and then bump it up 1 notch. I'm wondering if you can shift it into neutral without doing either of those things (I just don't want to put premature wear on the tranny or starter etc by going through the extra steps if they are not needed).

Thanks!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With your foot on the brake, 1 tap of the downshift should be neutral. If 1 tap doesn't work, try 2 in rapid succession.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

The tap must be very short, like 1/2 sec.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're in first gear with your foot on the brake; just tap the downshift paddle with your index finger, and you should pop right into neutral...
    If you're in reverse (with the brakes applied); an upshift will probably find you in first... Just downshift once, and you're back to "Home Base".

Manuals are available online from BRP's website...

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi and congrats on your 2010 Spyder.

Other than knowing how to get into neutral you should have a user manual as there are other things you should know.

You can download all Spyder user manuals from here:

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If in REVERSE the trans must go into FIRST GEAR before it will shift into NEUTRAL ( following the steps as above ).......this is the way BRP made it to work........Mike
    Really!!!!! I have driven a bunch of different Spyders, 2 of my own and some of my friends. None of them have ever had to be shifted into first before neutral from reverse.

It is a long press short press issue. When in reverse and short press of the gear floppy paddle shifts to neutral. A long press does a double shift into first. When in first a short press shifts to neutral and a long press does nothing because it is waiting for you the push the reverse button and do a double shift to reverse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHIFTING

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Really!!!!! I have driven a bunch of different Spyders, 2 of my own and some of my friends. None of them have ever had to be shifted into first before neutral from reverse.

It is a long press short press issue. When in reverse and short press of the gear floppy paddle shifts to neutral. A long press does a double shift into first. When in first a short press shifts to neutral and a long press does nothing because it is waiting for you the push the reverse button and do a double shift to reverse.
    .....Thanks, I love learning new things .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default video

I forgot I made and posted a video a while back demonstrating this. Here is the link again.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that I just lack the manual dexterity required, to have the bike consistently shift directly into neutral; from reverse...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks you all. I'll try the short tap from first. Tried regular taps before, doesn't do anything. From reverse I have no problem shifting into neutral. Thanks for the links, I'll download the manual
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that I just lack the manual dexterity required, to have the bike consistently shift directly into neutral; from reverse...

it might be due to my hands not matching
    Attached Images Attached Images

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Bought a 2010 RS-S (it was a deal I could not pass up), and it's great, but it's an SE5 and I'm only used to the manual shift so far.

The bike did not come with an owner's manual and I haven't looked it up online yet (I apologize, I do plan on getting it and actually reading it) but if someone could tell me how to shift it into neutral, I would appreciate it.

So far I noticed it will shift into neutral if I turn off the engine OR if I shift into reverse and then bump it up 1 notch. I'm wondering if you can shift it into neutral without doing either of those things (I just don't want to put premature wear on the tranny or starter etc by going through the extra steps if they are not needed).

Thanks!
    You can get a owner's manual on Can am wed site.