Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heated grips

Spyder Garage

Default heated grips

I just replaced the right hand switch housing on my wifes 2013 STS with one that has cruise control on it and it works great . Now im in the hunt for the heated grip switch I have did a few google searches but all I come up with is complete grip sets So does anyone know the correct name of the switch and a part number ? .. Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    I just replaced the right hand switch housing on my wifes 2013 STS with one that has cruise control on it and it works great . Now im in the hunt for the heated grip switch I have did a few google searches but all I come up with is complete grip sets So does anyone know the correct name of the switch and a part number ? .. Thank you
    Just adding the switch will not give you heated grips. Just thought I would mention that.

The switch is a Carling style. A quick guess it should be a SPDT (on-off-on).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

She has heated grips from the factory they just didn't put the switch in it .. it seem can am puts the same wiring harness on every bike but if you don't have a limited you don't get it unless you add a part here and there .. I just added the right switch housing off a rt and now she has cruise control and I put fog lights in too , that required the light housings and switch as all wiring is there

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grip Switch

I was at the dealer today asking the same question. Was told you can't buy the OEM switch independent of the heated grip package.

Internet reseach shows:
    You can buy the Carling switches at http://www.banggood.com/Carling-Wate...-p-972368.html. SPST On-Off switches with labels

SPDT On-Off-On switches with no label
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-MAR...+rocker+switch

Carling Style Switches
    http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Rocker-...+rocker+switch

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STS and mine came with Electronic Cruise Control, I can't imagine why your wife's would not have already had cruise set up??? Not sure about the heated grips.
    The Ltd models have the heated grips as standard equipment.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Limited is the only model with cruise, heated grips and fog lights .hers is sts & Not A Limited. I have some switches but not 2 position I really didnt want to use one but if I have too then so be it . I will run by my dealer Tuesday when they open up and see what I can . I was hoping to that someone here might have a part number then I could order it on line or at least do a cross reference.

Spyder Garage

The easiest fix would be to replace the left handle switches as you did with the right side. This will allow you to access the OEM wiring harness. Not the cheapest but will fix your problem.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I was at the dealer today asking the same question. Was told you can't buy the OEM switch independent of the heated grip package.

Internet reseach shows:
    You can buy the Carling switches at http://www.banggood.com/Carling-Wate...-p-972368.html. SPST On-Off switches with labels

SPDT On-Off-On switches with no label
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-MAR...+rocker+switch

Carling Style Switches
    http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Rocker-...+rocker+switch

Why would a company sell a product and then not sell replacement parts ? That makes no sense what happens if a part brakes ? You mean we have to buy a whole new bike ? I don't think so.

Spyder Garage

Limited is the only model with cruise, heated grips and fog lights...
    The STS did come with cruise.

Heated grips are more than just a switch. The grips themselves are different.
    Last edited by nhoj; 11-22-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

She has heated grips from the factory they just didn't put the switch in it .. it seem can am puts the same wiring harness on every bike but if you don't have a limited you don't get it unless you add a part here and there .. I just added the right switch housing off a rt and now she has cruise control and I put fog lights in too , that required the light housings and switch as all wiring is there
    If your STS came from the factory with heated grips it was a mistake. What makes you think it did? To add heated grips you need the switch and the grip heaters. That is what you get in the kit in the catalog. Yes the wiring is there, but you need more than that.

710002354 Switch, Heat Grip $42.99 CAD
    709400929 Throttle Heating Grip. ST-LTD $314.99 CAD
    709400625 Heating Handle Grip. ST-LTD $164.99 CAD

Those are Canadian prices so the US price should be about 20% less.

That is the US price and it's a whole lot cheaper than buying the parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If your STS came from the factory with heated grips it was a mistake. What makes you think it did? To add heated grips you need the switch and the grip heaters. That is what you get in the kit in the catalog. Yes the wiring is there, but you need more than that.

710002354 Switch, Heat Grip $42.99 CAD
    709400929 Throttle Heating Grip. ST-LTD $314.99 CAD
    709400625 Heating Handle Grip. ST-LTD $164.99 CAD

Those are Canadian prices so the US price should be about 20% less.

That is the US price and it's a whole lot cheaper than buying the parts.

OMG !! this may sound harsh but you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ! You need to do some research before you speak. With that said I really need you to keep up with me here ... in 2013 - 2015. Can am put some items on the bikes ( heated grips for instance ) but not the switches that way they could use what they had in the wear house and not spend extra money for each model they had and Can Am used the same wiring harness on all there bikes ( well the ones I have ) and they put the extra switches and do-dads on the Limited's but did not on the lower end bikes ( ie cruise, heated grip switches, radio and speakers etc ) Now for the cruise I just needed the right hand switch housing from a RT ( I did it and it WORKS AWESOME ) the heated grips ARE ON THE BIKES FROM THE FACTORY and the wiring too I just need the switch ( I have one coming ) the Radio has ALL the wiring I just need the radio unit ( I'm in the hunt for that ) There is a few other things I have done to my wife's 2013 but I think your head would explode if I told you about them ... SO now you are armed with just a little knowledge please go forth the and learn... SO WHAT I AM SAYING IS IF YOU HAVE A 2013 STS ( NOT A LIMITED ) ALL YOU NEED IS TIME A FEW SWITCHES AND YOU TOO CAN HAVE IT ALL . (( 2015 back ) DISCLAMER before anyone starts ordering parts tear into your bike and check that you have the do-dads that you want to activate.) I hope this clears up some confusion .... By the way I don't play well with others

Spyder Garage

OMG !! this may sound harsh but you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ! You need to do some research before you speak. With that said I really need you to keep up with me here ... in 2013 - 2015. Can am put some items on the bikes ( heated grips for instance ) but not the switches that way they could use what they had in the wear house and not spend extra money for each model they had and Can Am used the same wiring harness on all there bikes ( well the ones I have ) and they put the extra switches and do-dads on the Limited's but did not on the lower end bikes ( ie cruise, heated grip switches, radio and speakers etc ) Now for the cruise I just needed the right hand switch housing from a RT ( I did it and it WORKS AWESOME ) the heated grips ARE ON THE BIKES FROM THE FACTORY and the wiring too I just need the switch ( I have one coming ) the Radio has ALL the wiring I just need the radio unit ( I'm in the hunt for that ) There is a few other things I have done to my wife's 2013 but I think your head would explode if I told you about them ... SO now you are armed with just a little knowledge please go forth the and learn... SO WHAT I AM SAYING IS IF YOU HAVE A 2013 STS ( NOT A LIMITED ) ALL YOU NEED IS TIME A FEW SWITCHES AND YOU TOO CAN HAVE IT ALL . (( 2015 back ) DISCLAMER before anyone starts ordering parts tear into your bike and check that you have the do-dads that you want to activate.) I hope this clears up some confusion .... By the way I don't play well with others
    The only one confused here is you. You also need to listen to your own advice and do the research before you type. The online catalog is very clear. The ST and STS do not come with grip assemblies with heaters in them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stop being an @$$

Hey dude, no reason to talk to people like that on here. If you have it figured out, go buy your parts and move on. You are wrong about one thing, and right about one thing. The STS DOES NOT have heated grips stock. You have to buy the grips with the heater in them in order to actually get the heat. You ARE correct that they all came with the wiring harness so all you have to do is plug and play. Either way, most people on this site know what they are talking about. So instead writing a diatribe, just say thank you if you think you're right and go about your business.

Spyder Garage

I now see why I haven't been on here in a while

OK in 2013 most sts's had heated grips the manufacture did not put the switch nor did they put the 15 amp fuse in to make them work as it was NOT A LIMITED but THEY ARE THERE now when my switch comes in I will take some pictures if you like and post them ... but they are there ! If only you guys would tear into your bikes and look you might be so surprised and shocked on just what goodies you have and never knew it ..

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=billybovine;1064053]The only one confused here is you. You also need to listen to your own advice and do the research before you type. The online catalog is very clear. The ST and STS do not come with grip assemblies with heaters in them.[/QUOT

do you know me ? do you know what I did before I retired ? do you have any idea what I do now in my free time ? Have you taken all the plastic off my bike and did any maintenance on it ?... the answer to all those questions is just 2 letters ... NO you do not ... you see being retired after 20 of working on cars then 25 years on all makes of bikes with all the collage and certifications like HD, KAW, Honda and Yamaha just to name a few.. so yes sir I don't think I know a damn thing or two. But you might be right I have heated grips from the factory after all

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh Geez

[QUOTE=james199;1064133]
    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The only one confused here is you. You also need to listen to your own advice and do the research before you type. The online catalog is very clear. The ST and STS do not come with grip assemblies with heaters in them.[/QUOT

do you know me ? do you know what I did before I retired ? do you have any idea what I do now in my free time ? Have you taken all the plastic off my bike and did any maintenance on it ?... the answer to all those questions is just 2 letters ... NO you do not ... you see being retired after 20 of working on cars then 25 years on all makes of bikes with all the collage and certifications like HD, KAW, Honda and Yamaha just to name a few.. so yes sir I don't think I know a damn thing or two. But you might be right I have heated grips from the factory after all
    Nice. Enjoy your heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Default HeatedcGrips

I have a 2013 ST-S. It came with cruise control standard. I did have the dealer install the heated grips before I took delivery. I paid $229 plus labor for the heated grips. The invoice listed the grip assembly wiring and the switch. If you are saying you only need the rocker switch then you got a freebie from the factory. Congratulations!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Interested...

JKM - please let me know if this works and what switch you used. I have a 2014 ST-S and have seen the wiring harness under the console. If all I need to do is add a switch that would be great! (although I would have to move my garage door opener which I have put in that spot on the console). Thanks in advance - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I have a 2013 ST-S. It came with cruise control standard. I did have the dealer install the heated grips before I took delivery. I paid $229 plus labor for the heated grips. The invoice listed the grip assembly wiring and the switch. If you are saying you only need the rocker switch then you got a freebie from the factory. Congratulations!!

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

​James199, we would like to know if the switch was all you needed for the heated grips on your ST-S. Or did you discover that you also needed the grip heaters? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

As soon as the switch comes in I will post pictures and the part numbers . The holidays have slowed the mail man but I should have it in a few days

Spyder Garage

Got the switch today so I thought I would post a few pic's of it while its still In the package I will try to do this upgrade tomorrow and will post a few pictures of it and maybe a small vid if I can figure out how

Spyder Garage

I did the install today but first lets determined if your bike come with heated grips .. I will attempt to show you what you need to look for .. So please follow along as we walk down the yellow brick road ... First lets see if your bike has heated grips from the factory. Began by removing the 4 screws that are on the RT hand grip housing they are here now carefully remove the back

Spyder Garage

Once removed you should see something like this look at the pencil you see the wiring that's what your looking for
    Last edited by james199; 12-03-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: pencil

Spyder Garage

If you have whats there the all you need is the switch and BAM !!! you got heated grips ... well my wife does anyhow .. I hope this makes everything clear .. OH heres a pic of the switch installed I also installed a USB phone charger as well

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Grips

It now occurs to me that there was a mixup on your ST-S at the factory. You had mentioned in an earlier post that you had to add the parts for the cruise control. Cruise is supposed to be standard on the ST-S. But the wiring for the heated grips was already there and you just had to add the switch. Normally the switch and heating wiring kit has to be added. Glad you got it all figured out. I was wondering if you could get BRP to compensate you in some way for having to add the parts for the cruise?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid