Spyder Garage

Default 998 ENGINE VALVE COVER GASKETS

My 2013 RTL with just over 15K miles recently developed an oil leak. After taking it to the dealer, they found that both ​valve cover gaskets were leaking badly. We are talking about a very expensive repair here. When I asked the service manager if this would be covered under warranty, he told me that BRP has been flatly refusing to warranty head gaskets. So, I called BRP & got a case number started. No guarantee that it will be covered, but at least BRP is willing to consider it.

My question is, has anyone else with the 998 engine had this problem, and if so, what was your mileage when they failed, and what was the final resolution?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dwight

edited 9:55 am 11/20/15
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 11-20-2015 at 09:55 AM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, is it the head gaskets or the valve cover gaskets? Big difference in cost and amount of work. Maybe get a second opinion.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have leaking gaskets on my 2010 RTS. Taking mine to a forum member to work on. He discovered it at the last oil change. That was at around 20K miles. Still been riding it, just checking oil frequently. I can smell it after a ride. Keep us posted if you get anywhere with BRP.

Spyder Garage

I had an oil leak from the valve cover gaskets when I checked my valve clearance fixed by replacing the gaskets $35 + 3 hours of work ,you can do it if you're mechanically inclined I do not think it's head cover gasket it's the valve cover gaskets. If its the head cover gasket you would have other worse problems
    Last edited by jtoro1; 11-20-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, my mistake. It is the valve cover gaskets, NOT the head gaskets.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 11-20-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. It is the valve cover gaskets, NOT the head gaskets.
    A lot less work then.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

Have seen posts with valve cover gasket leaks. Though they are a rubber type they should be changed whenever removed to avoid problems. I have 32,000 miles without a leaK. There is always some residue that wipes off but no leakage. If no valve clearance checks were made this would be the time to do it and it should not be that big a job. If you have a green manual you can check the flat rate and estimate it by your dealer shop rate... good luck with it being warranty but hope they kick in for you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Per service procedures on the 998.
    If you have the 14K valve check done they are suppose to replace the valve cover gaskets at that time.

Changing those gaskets is not that hard! About 2 hours labor max.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have seen posts with valve cover gasket leaks. Though they are a rubber type they should be changed whenever removed to avoid problems. I have 32,000 miles without a leaK. There is always some residue that wipes off but no leakage. If no valve clearance checks were made this would be the time to do it and it should not be that big a job. If you have a green manual you can check the flat rate and estimate it by your dealer shop rate... good luck with it being warranty but hope they kick in for you...
    Good excuse to have the valve clearance checked. My dealer automatically included new gaskets when he checked the valves. One question -- are they sure the gaskets are bad and it's not just a case of needing tightening? Some of the bolts are pretty hard to get to but might be worth trying without ripping everything apart.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I did have the 14K service done, but the valves were not checked because both the tech & the service manager felt that it was unnecessary, as they sounded normal i.e. no ticking, etc. So the valve covers were not removed. Now that the gaskets need to be replaced they are going to check the valves and adjust if necessary.

Spyder Garage

2013 RT-S, (yellow) with little over 23,000 miles. No issue detected.

Chris

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not too crazy about your tech.

I did have the 14K service done, but the valves were not checked because both the tech & the service manager felt that it was unnecessary, as they sounded normal i.e. no ticking, etc. So the valve covers were not removed. Now that the gaskets need to be replaced they are going to check the valves and adjust if necessary.
    The 998 is an overhead cam motor without rocker arms or a cam follower. Over time, the valve clearances decrease, not increase, because valve seat wear causes the valve to sink further into the head and the valve stem becomes closer to the cam. There would be no ticking / tapping sounds or anything like that. Also makes me wonder if, in their conversations with BRP about the warranty, if they used the term head gasket or valve cover gasket. I just don't think they wanted to mess around with the air box and all. Many of us on here have reported that the valve clearances were OK at the 14K service, but I think it was your tech's responsibility to perform the service as required by BRP.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

RE: Valve cover gaskets:

Brief History: I had the valve cover adjustment service on my 2008 at 12,000 miles as directed at the time. No leaks or adjustment needed on the machine.

I waited until 28,000 miles on my 2010 RTS. The valves needed no adjustment. The mechanic failed to put new gaskets in and the motor started to leak oil. The dealer replaced the gaskets at no additional charge and I had no further leakage. I traded off the 2010 with 36,500 miles on it.

I own a 2011 RT A&C. I am not planning on doing a valve adjustment until around 50,000 miles--provided there are no issues with the motor.

Happily, the 2014 no longer lists valve check services.

Each valve adjustment service was about $800.

I do not recall many posting that they needed valve adjustments or had the gaskets leak for no reason (early on--your case here).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTL with just over 15K miles recently developed an oil leak. After taking it to the dealer, they found that both ​valve cover gaskets were leaking badly. We are talking about a very expensive repair here. When I asked the service manager if this would be covered under warranty, he told me that BRP has been flatly refusing to warranty head gaskets. So, I called BRP & got a case number started. No guarantee that it will be covered, but at least BRP is willing to consider it.

My question is, has anyone else with the 998 engine had this problem, and if so, what was your mileage when they failed, and what was the final resolution?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dwight

edited 9:55 am 11/20/15
    Dwight,

What a lot of bull on BRP's side. If you still have warranty, and the covers have not been touched then they should replace them under warranty. They are obviously defective. If this was a car, it would be covered under warranty.

I wonder if you heating issue of the past had anything to do with this.

Spyder Garage

44k on a 12RT no valve cover leaks dealer supposedly checked them on the 14k service but i recently noticed fresh oil behind the rear cylinder didnt look like valve cover wondered what else can be the culprit. Had the tupperware off to check the JTs air filter and change the oil. Still have RPMOne extended service contract till 17 and its paid for itself at least twice but this clear spot behind that rear cylinder on left side wasnt readily apparent exactly where it came from. Anybody else get a leak around there?

Norm H Austin Tx
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Rotax motors as a whole are bullet proof, but I know that a bit of "seepage" is considered normal. Ours has a few damp spots but I just put it down to Rotax sealing quality. Im not worrying about it on our Spyder unless the smells get overpowering, then I will fix it myself. We have a 2012 RT-SE5 with 13,500 miles. And the remark that if it was a car (cant remember who), we own a N/A 06 Subaru Baja and got stuck eating the $2000 head gasket replacement that was a poor quality OEM gasket from the manufacturer! It fails at 60,000ish miles and gives you plenty of warning before meltdown. Would I buy another new Subaru? Yes, without hesitation. No vehicle is totally perfect-just has to be safe, fun and overall reliable-looking cool is just a bonus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Dwight,

What a lot of bull on BRP's side. If you still have warranty, and the covers have not been touched then they should replace them under warranty. They are obviously defective. If this was a car, it would be covered under warranty.

I wonder if you heating issue of the past had anything to do with this.
    No, they are replaced at 14k as a normal maintenance item. The OP elected NOT to perform the required maintenance. Now its needed and he gets to pay for it. Its NOT a warranty item and hence why BRP is declining. If they were leaking PRIOR to the 14k service interval, then they would be covered under warranty.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame