Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Utah Dealers reprise

In the Utah Dealers list The Edge Motorsports is listed as a Spyder dealer,but they no longer handle Spyders. Provo Ski Doo is no longer in existence,they have moved to Springville and changed their name to Utah Valley Power Sports. The link that you have posted for updates on current dealers no longer works

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Utah Valley Power Sports no longer sells Spyders

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Utah Valley Power Sports no longer sells Spyders
    Neither does Weller Recreation in Kamas (where I bought one of our bikes and used to get service for both).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Here's the list of Spyder/Ryker dealers in Salt Lake valley area

High Adventure Powersports
    1846 South 5070 West
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
    801-924-9244

Moto United of South Valley
    11553 South State Street
    Draper, Utah 84020
    801-572-6720

Moto United Bountiful
    601 West 900 South
    Woods Cross, Utah 84010
    801-486-5401
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    In the Utah Dealers list The Edge Motorsports is listed as a Spyder dealer,but they no longer handle Spyders. Provo Ski Doo is no longer in existence,they have moved to Springville and changed their name to Utah Valley Power Sports. The link that you have posted for updates on current dealers no longer works
    I take it that link you're referring to is the CLICK HERE link in Lamonster's thread from May 2009, quoted below??

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    This may not be the most current information. CLICK HERE for the current dealers list from BRP.
    Those links never worked for me... I just assumed it was cos I was in Oz, & not in North America.

Anyhoo, will pass it on! Thanks. :thumb:
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Moto United of Bountiful is now Young Power Sports. They have excellent techs and give very good service.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I agree, I've had nothing but positive experiences at Young Power Sport.

Spyder Garage

Karl Malone Power Sports in Provo, Ut is now a Spyder Dealer. They seem friendly but their quoted service prices seemed really high to me.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh my yes,, my dealer, almost 50 miles, charges $150/hour. It's called 'pay to play'.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Oh my yes,, my dealer, almost 50 miles, charges $150/hour. It's called 'pay to play'.
    $159/hr. here in Florida. Oil change is now over $300. They even have the nerve to add in shop supplies! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Totally disgusting, at least I can do my own oil change, when I can't, guess I'll sell my toy.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Totally disgusting, at least I can do my own oil change, when I can't, guess I'll sell my toy.
    Hmmmm.......only need to do an oil change once per year, so you’d stop riding because it costs you $25.00 per month.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well 'Brucie', I think it's my choice not to pay $300 for an oil change, not yours. At age 90, I probably won't be riding many years, but I sure appreciate your "advice".

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well 'Brucie', I think it's my choice not to pay $300 for an oil change, not yours. At age 90, I probably won't be riding many years, but I sure appreciate your "advice".
    You, of course, are correct. It is YOUR choice and NOT mine. What I was hoping to get across to a lot of the members on this site, is to spread the costs over the year. We, or at least some of us, spend more than $25.00 a month just for junk food, and yet we consistently complain about the labour costs to maintain our great “toys”.

I apologize sir, for signalling out your post to try to get this point across.

brucie

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And now, back to the original topic of Utah Spyder dealers....I hope
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone recall what an oil change cost back in 2010 when spyders first hit the market? I've only had to raise my rate $20/hr in 13 years and still, I make good money. It's just my opinion that companies and individual business owners have jumped on the inflation wave and made it worse. JMO

Spyder Garage

I know charging $150 per hour labor rates seems like a lot, but most other motorcycle brands charge approximately the same amount based upon locale.

Most car dealerships charge about the same rates to be honest. It costs the same to do an oil change on my SUV, but it's about the same complexity - probably less as it's not a dry sump engine.

Given the complexity of the Spyder compared to other modern vehicles, I cannot see BRP dealers charging much less than other high end brands.

The equipment costs and licenses for dealer service departments, the increased service intervals of vehicles, the increased longevity of (most) vehicles, the manufacturer requirements for dealership standards and appearances, the increased cost of technician training, it all adds up. What used to be easy money for dealers in servicing revenue has fallen off per unit overall where their fixed costs have remained the same so the price per hour increases. BRP dealers may also not sell a lot of Spyders per year, but they still have to provide the facilities to fix them.

The Spyder is a complex and often not easy to work on machine. The more complex and sophisticated vehicles become, they more expensive they will be to repair when things go wrong. As emissions requirements increase, the more complex they become to extract the same performance as before. This complexity though is not just in hardware, but increasingly it is in software, which requires ever more complex tools and knowledge to diagnose problems. The user interfaces demand ever more technology behind the scenes to implement them. The Spyder with its stability control systems, power steering, integrated braking and ABS, semi automatic transmission and so forth, is already as complex as the some of the highest technology BMW or Ducati.

I guess it just amounts to when problems arise the cost of resolving these issues won't be cheap. Likewise, performing routine servicing isn't going to come in at the lower end of costs either. So far, my Spyder has cost me about as much per year as my BMW motorcycles that preceded it have done.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

So, in an attempt to return this thread to some semblance of it's original purpose, I was in Karl Malone in Provo last week to look at any new Spyders they may have had. I wandered around the show room for awhile and then began to visit with the guys who ran the service desk. We talked about our different rides, the dirt bike scene today etc. They asked who was doing the service on my Spyder, and I told them that I did especially as my understanding was that shops wouldn't work on bikes over 10 years old. They told me that if you could get it there, they would work on anything that came thru the door. I was quite encouraged by that. I also found they had lowered their shop rate from in the $180s to in the $160s. During the time I spent there I found the staff very friendly especially a tall pretty blonde named Maddy who took me over to where the Spyders were.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2021 RT LTD new from Karl Malone in SLC on 3600 S. Was a good buying experience.

They also fixed all the rear air suspension issues it had from new. Drove both me and their techs crazy but they eventually got it all sorted.

Had servicing and repair work done by Moto United in Draper too. Did a good job.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I may have mentioned this in another post, but I found a BRP spyder tech who quit his job at a dealership and went into business for himself. He charges $100 an hour and still makes a profit and can cover his overhead simultaneously. Admittedly he is a one man shop but good lord, $300 for an oil change is criminal. Walmart and other service centers don't charge that much for an automobile oil change. But, I guess some folks can afford it and will gladly pay that much for an oil change otherwise those businesses wouldn't exist.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, Utah doesn't have the Spyder population that California does and as such independent shops for anything other than the big four or Harley-Davidson are pretty rare, Spyders being even rarer.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Oh my yes, my dealer, almost 50 miles, charges $150/hour. It's called 'pay to play'.
    Come to Canada ���� with your exchange rate you’ll get money back lol - average rates up here are $175 per hr.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2023 at 04:29 PM. Reason: $
    2019 F3 Limited Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yikes, not sure the exchange rate, but at $150/hour, maybe I'm getting some kind of bargain??? At least I can change my own oil, thankful for the 'little things'.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I may have mentioned this in another post, but I found a BRP spyder tech who quit his job at a dealership and went into business for himself. He charges $100 an hour and still makes a profit and can cover his overhead simultaneously. Admittedly he is a one man shop but good lord, $300 for an oil change is criminal. Walmart and other service centers don't charge that much for an automobile oil change. But, I guess some folks can afford it and will gladly pay that much for an oil change otherwise those businesses wouldn't exist.
    Interesting that you would say this. We had the same thing happen here. Local Can-Am dealership's BRP trained and certified Spyder tech quit and opened up his own shop just down the street from us. But he won't work on Spyders. Says they are just too much trouble. But then he's covered up with side-by-sides, 4-wheelers, plus off and on road bikes. He doesn't really need Spyders to make a living.

I think the beauty of our operation is that instead of mixing in the occasional Spyder to our service day. We work on Spyders all day, every day. The Spyder is so different from everything else. And they can be a pain to work on. Especially if you're not used to them.

But we don't have to shift gears to work on them, so to speak. We've been able to find ways to reduce labor time and effort. Which allows us to work on more bikes and saves the customer money. For example. The book says 6 hours labor for spark plug change on a 1330 motor. We do it in 3 and add sonic cleaning the injectors. Unfortunately, there are places that will charge the 6 hours even if they can get it done in less time than the book calls for.

2 things have amazed me since we opened our shop. First, how many Spyders and Rykers we have in the area. We are not a huge population center, by any means. Second. How far people are willing to travel to get service done here. It has been a humbling experience. We're just a small team that loves the sport and the machine. Warts and all!~

I apologize, pegasus1300, for straying from the original subject matter.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-31-2023 at 06:12 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, I live in central Florida, and I think about your shop as time passes and I need work done on my 20 RTL that I can't do. I have a Post Office buddy that lives in Kodak (Ssrvierville). I can spend time at his house while get stuff done. I see you're a little over 50 miles. I can work something out.