Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that they're built by a Canadian firm:
    www.B-Pwr.com
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Winter OK but not snow?

Here in the Northeast roads are cleared pretty quickly. This is my first winter with the Spyder but I used to ride my Victory Vision 2 wheeler in the winter once the roads were cleared. I hope to do this again this winter, I know the concern about salt, but can I mitigate by cleaning from time to time? I like to ride in cold weather, hoping to continue to ryde this season. OK if the roads are clear of ice and snow?
    SpyderWalter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ATWALT*
    2014 RTS - SE6 Cognac (named Josephine).
    FOBO, ShowChrome top rack
    Spyder Cuff, Highway Pegs, LidLox, Passenger Drink Holder from LaMonster

Recently returned to Florida, looking for new roads...

Former: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Edition (#104)
    2016 Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

*All Three Wheels Alla Lovin' Time

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trick with the Spyders, is that the bodywork has all sorts of potential for hiding where the salt spray can really do a lot of damage...
    If they salt or brine your roads; do yourself a favor, and stay off of them until you've had enough warm weather and rain, to wash them clean.

SWEET-Looking Victory!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Winter must suck ass over there, especially if you like riding, I can ride all year round here. All though wouldn't mind if it snowed, so i could go skiing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 109spyder View Post
    Winter must suck ass over there, especially if you like riding, I can ride all year round here. All though wouldn't mind if it snowed, so i could go skiing!
    It's pretty tough to, "Run with the foxes, and howl with the hounds..."
    If you could go skiing; you probably wouldn't be riding!

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember a video a while back from one of the Scandinavian countries of a guy who put a spiked tire, not studded, but giant spikes to ride on the ice. I'll see if I can find it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lack of traction, is clearly the issue...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I remember hearing that snow and Spyders DO NOT go well together......I would not recommend it.
    also, it is not worth it. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not much use here in San Diego. It's a kit from the web. Saw a video on YouTube. Was posted here couple of times.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderWalter;1061945]Here in the Northeast roads are cleared pretty quickly. This is my first winter with the Spyder but I used to ride my Victory Vision 2 wheeler in the winter once the roads were cleared. I hope to do this again this winter, I know the concern about salt, but can I mitigate by cleaning from time to time? I like to ride in cold weather, hoping to continue to ryde this season. OK if the roads are clear of ice and snow?
    SpyderWalter
    [/QUOTE Here in Vermont the roads are not cleared quickly. My spyder is in for its winter's nap. I sure would not ride my spyder in the winter. The salt, brine, etc. I would not want to ruin my spyder. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Default Riding year round on my spyder, my only vehicle.

As my only vehicle, i used to kit out my spyder with heated grips, larger windshield, wind defectors, layer up for the cold and watch the forecast, approaching clouds and forecast like a hawk.

Thought I'd share this interview I did with BRP back in 2011:

February 25th, 2011
    RIDER PROFILE: GREETINGS FROM NEWFOUNDLAND

Spyder Team
    We love hearing stories from our fans. Dean Parsons rides his Can-Am Spyder roadster year round – in Newfoundland. When we found out about Dean’s dedication to riding, we knew we had to get in touch with him to find out how he battles through negative wind chills, rain, snow and all the other unpredictable weather that comes along with living in Newfoundland.

Can-Am: When did you get your Spyder RS roadster?
    Dean Parsons: I purchased my Spyder in January of 2010. I recall it vividly as it was a very interesting conversation. When I discussed the details of the purchase with my local dealer (Fun N' Fast, who have a great sales, tech and support crew), they mentioned a delivery date of early spring. I placed the order in December, and waiting three long winter months without riding would have just been unbearable. A long story short, my dealer worked with the shipping department in Valcourt/Sherbrooke and they were able to get my Spyder to me early! Thank you BRP!

My dealer tracked my Spyder during shipment and gave me the exact date for arrival. Bright and early on January 30, 2010, I made my way to the dealership eagerly awaiting delivery of my first three-wheeled machine. I couldn't wait! As I arrived I watched a transport truck pull in packed with yellow and black BRP crates. It was the middle of winter and I counted something like 30 Ski-Doos and a lone Spyder Roadster at the back of the trailer. That was my Spyder Roadster!!

In fact, it was last month, January 30, 2011, which marked my one-year Spyder riding anniversary. We celebrated with dinner and a night on the town as I shared some of my riding stories and Spyder experience of my 32,400 kilometers (20,132 miles) thus far.

Can-Am: What inspired you to start riding your roadster year-round?
    D.P.: My 2010 Spyder is my only means of transportation, by choice. I really enjoy riding and I wanted a challenge. I sold my car and started looking for my adventure machine – one vehicle that would allow me to adventure ride, have room for practical things like groceries and a couple overnight bags, provide the exhilarating feeling of freedom and riding a motorcycle through the elements, and room for two. With its inherent design, stability and safety features, the Spyder is my answer. I embarked on a personal challenge to ride year-round on my Spyder as my only vehicle.*

Having been born and raised here in Newfoundland, I am all too aware of our interesting changing weather. We can experience all four seasons in one day sometimes. With this challenge came the reality of riding through all types of conditions, and not willing to potentially wait a long time for that perfect sunny warm day to ride. I had to be prepared. I watch the weather forecast and clouds like a hawk. I keep my rain suit and other extras in my Spyder all day so it’s there when I need it.

Can-Am: Take us through how you prepare for your ride every morning in the winter.
    D.P.: In the winter months, the morning on the way to the office starts with a look at the weather forecast. This is followed by hauling on multiple layers that help battle the cold winter air and wind chill:* a warm sweater, wind/waterproof pants, boots and jacket, leather gloves with warm liners, balaclava and my helmet – all on over my office attire. I roll out of my heated garage, flip on a set of heated grips and start up. While my Spyder is warming up, I may shovel some freshly fallen flurries from the driveway. Then I'll do my pre-ride check to be sure everything is in good working order before I head out.

Can-Am: Do you do anything special to get your Spyder ready for the cold weather?
    D.P.: Yes, there are a few accessories that I've installed that have made my Newfoundland year-around Spydering possible. As most riders know, wind chill is bad. That is where I've found the BRP 25-inch Ultra Touring Windshield Kit (P/N 219400177), heated grips and good cold-weather gloves, jacket and pants to be invaluable. All of these things combined have allowed me to ride through some cold subzero Newfoundland winter conditions, where otherwise it would be impossible or impractical.

I also make time for a weekly wash down and corrosion-prevention session. We get a lot of road salt in these parts, so frequent washing, drying and salt protection is key to keeping my Spyder in good working order on the winter roads and through the cold months.

In the subzero temperatures I always keep my eyes peeled for indications of slippery sections, black ice and other such hazards. I adjust my speed and route to the conditions and follow other motorists.

Can-Am: Where do you get your riding gear?
    D.P.: I get most of my gear locally. My dealer has been very receptive and understanding of my Spyder riding habits. They are always willing to schedule my Spyder in for maintenance, even among the many scheduled Ski-Doo maintenance appointments during peak snowmobile season. It's actually really fun to see my Spyder sharing the shop with five or six Ski-Doos.

Can-Am: Are there any conditions you won't ride in?
    D.P.: To me, with the three-wheel "Y-factor” stance, there is no reason to store my Spyder. However, there are some conditions where I will not ride. Fighting for traction on deep snow-covered roads is not a battle I want to be in, so I do not ride when the roads are snow covered or iced up really bad. However, battling the cold is a fight I can win with my winter gear and cold weather accessories. When the roads are covered and really slick, I'll wait for the snowplow to clear the way – then I ride. Until then, I find other ways to work, but granted it will not be as fun.

Can-Am: What's the most extreme weather you've ever ridden in? How did you prepare?
    D.P.: I always take the long way round, no matter where I ride, but some unexpected Newfoundland winter weather has almost left me stranded. I have dealt with the unexpected nature of Newfoundland winters with finding alternate routes home on the main roads, which are the first to be cleared of snow and salted. I remember it was early December when a quick moving snowstorm moved in much faster than forecasted. I left the office 10 minutes early to get a jump on the traffic. With no time to waste I headed home on the straightest path possible. It started to get slick, and I had to adjust my speed for the conditions. The Spyder's traction control kicked in a couple times and did a good job of keeping me on track and in control. I made it home safe and sound, leaving a three-wheel tire track in the snow from the office to my garage door.

As for preparing for those kinds of conditions, well, the best I can do is keep an eye on the forecast and have a quick route planned to get home. If worse comes to worse, I could park and cover my Spyder until a storm lifts, but I hope I never have to use that option.

Earlier this month the temperatures dropped in a cold belt to near -20C (-4F) for about a week. The wind chill at these ambient temperatures dipped as low as -28C (-18F) while riding. On those mornings the cold air crept through my warm gloves and fought with my heated grips, to put it lightly!

These cold conditions do not stop me from riding, but it definitely limits my distance on “just because” rides. I usually still commute and ride but cut them short in hopes of warmer temperatures the following day.

Can-Am: Why is all-weather riding so important to you?
    D.P.: It's fun and challenging. I really enjoy my free time, and anything that I can do to help extend or enhance and it, I'll do my best. In the past 12 months there have only been 18 days that were unsuitable or too dangerous for me to ride. Out of 365 days, I'll take it. I'm not complaining! Days like that are perfect for doing some Spyder maintenance in the heated garage!

Can-Am: What's your favorite season to ride in?
    D.P.: That's a great question, but it is also difficult to answer, at least for me. I find each riding season offers something different, beautiful, interesting and exciting to experience. If I absolutely have to choose, I would say autumn for the fall colors, brisk early morning air and no summertime bugs to splat on my windshield or visor.

Can-Am: What makes riding in the winter so special to you?
    D.P.: Two words: beautiful challenges. For me it's a combination of experiencing the beautiful winter snowscape in a way I never have before. At the same time, I'm drawn to the challenges that winter inherently presents – the extra time required to bundle up with warm clothes, the almost unpredictable weather changes. In one word: adventure.

Cheers and ride safe this winter everyone, whatever you ride!

Spyder Garage

Default SNOW

I'd move to Arkansas. I ride 12 months. Of course I live in LA: Lower Arkansas

Spyder Garage

Default I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 11-18-2015 at 07:45 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

snow riding

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    If you go to YouTube and search Shawn Smoak and then look at his Can Am Spyder videos, there is one where he is trying to ride the Spyder in the snow. I found it by going to playlist and then Can Am Spyder videos. I use an iPad and I can't figure out how to put the video on here.

Here it is....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To me once you get salt into your machine you can never clean it out. It starts acting on pretty much everything it comes in contact with (metals).
    Seeing articles about snow bikes lately, apparently becoming popular. Not for me though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Dean, that was quite the interview/commentary. Keep up the good work. Unfortunately for some of us the cold is not a factor, but the foot of snow on the roads is more than enough to shut it down for another year. I like Bob's cartoon/sentiment about the bike being in the garage SO TRUE........

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mick N View Post
    Here it is....

Thanks. I just can't figure out how to put a link there. That is my Spyder that he's riding. (Now).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello, Neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-mumba View Post
    I love riding so much that i want to know if there is a way to ride in the colder winter in Michigan.
    Can't add any thing to the previous comments about riding in snow and on ice. I'll ride if it's above 40 F, and the roads are clear. No garage, so I feel like the infrequent ride mid-winter is my reward for putting up with "white fungus".

I'm right "next door" to you, in Ann Arbor. Practically neighbors!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I'm glad to live in Australia where the winters are mild compared to The Northern part of the world and we ride our Spyders all year round.
    We have to ride all year in order to get value for money a 2015 RTS Special Series runs at about $42,000 AUD.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    To me once you get salt into your machine you can never clean it out. It starts acting on pretty much everything it comes in contact with (metals).
    Seeing articles about snow bikes lately, apparently becoming popular. Not for me though.
    and I 2nd that Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, But How About Riding in the Winter WITHOUT Snow?

The OP didn't asked about riding in the snow... He asked about riding in the winter. There are LOTS of snow free winter days in most states. If you don't mind the cold and dress appropriately, I don't really see a problem with winter riding when there's no snow or ice on the roads. As for any salt and grime, Spyders don't seem to mind water... why not just rinse it off, including the undercarriage, and then dry it when you finish riding and after the bike cools down?
    Last edited by robmorg; 11-19-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    As my only vehicle, i used to kit out my spyder with heated grips, larger windshield, wind defectors, layer up for the cold and watch the forecast, approaching clouds and forecast like a hawk.

Thought I'd share this interview I did with BRP back in 2011:

February 25th, 2011
    RIDER PROFILE: GREETINGS FROM NEWFOUNDLAND

Dean,

Great interview. Thanks for sharing.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Another option is to just pick up a cheap, crappy bike for winter use.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call me "spoiled" if you like...
    But I don't want a, "Cheap, crappy" ride...