Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Desperate for Advice!! Regarding retrieving fault codes

Last month I purchased a 2011 RTS - SE5 Spyder from a non authorized Can Am dealership in Newport, VT near the Canadian border. Yes, the bike was purchased new in Canada and serviced there before I bought it. Because the seller did not service Spyders I had the bike sent to an authorized dealer outside Boston and asked that they check it out entirely and at a minimum do a tune up and oil change which they did. I picked it up and had 3 nice days of weather and decided to try it out before putting it away for the winter. I love it, but on the third day, the orange check engine light appeared so I brought it to my storage garage so I would not damage it. My whole point in servicing it before I stored it, was so that I could have peace of mind that it would be ready to go in Spring. So now I have the opposite.....I don't want to spend the next 5 months agonizing over what the problem is, so I have been trying to retrieve the fault code to determine why I am getting the check engine warning light. I have scoured the forum and found 3 advised methods to retrieve the fault codes none of which has worked and I am at my wits end....... Method 1) Hold the Mode and Set button simultaneously and push the directional button in (result... blank screen) 2) Use the mode button to locate the hours screen at the bottom of the screen.... there is no hours screen that I can find on my display after hours of trying! 3) Hold the mode button down on the left control, push down the headlight override on the right handle, and flash the lights several times.........There is no light override or any other light switch on my right handle!!! Certainly, someone out there must know how to retrieve the fault messages!! If you do, I am begging you to tell me how, so I can sleep comfortably over the net 5 months. PLEASE!! Tom PS: Boston dealer simply says bring the bike back in....140 mile round trip!
    Last edited by tsherman02840; 11-16-2015 at 08:50 PM. Reason: mistakes

Spyder Garage

On your RT the correct method is #1. If you got a blank screen your code may have reset itself.The only way to retrieve reset codes is to have the dealer put it on BUDS and look at it. That is my understanding of how things work and how I retrieved the codes on my 2012 RT L. My codes did reset themselves after awhile but then would re flash meaning the problem was ongoing. I had read the code and was able to tell the dealer what I found. They did a thorough search of the electronics including pushing on all the connectors and never found anything obvious. That tells me it was something loose and all the pushing fixed it but who knows which one it was. Anyway my code storage is now clear and it isn't giving me a check engine light anymore.

BTW my dealer is 200 mi round trip and it was worth it but still annoying and time consuming

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

I have found these machines will have glitches or as I call them hiccups. To retrieve a code you have to do it before you shut the ignition off. So if it appears again when you start it up again follow the procedure before shutting her off. Also when you shut her off pull the key and set it aside for 30/45minutes that way all systems shut down and reset. I have had the check engine light in several occasions and cleared it with the shut down and never found out why. A hiccup...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWPORT VERMONT

Hi, I live in VT. and there are only 3 dealers in VT. and one of them is right next to Newport in Derby on Rt.5...Walt's .......So where did you buy it ????.... and why didn't they send you 5 miles away to Walt's.....this is very interesting.................Plus Walt's is a very good shop with very nice people ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The blank screen means that you have no "active" codes. That means that the error occurred but is no longer active. As the others have said it can be retrieved by having the dealer hook you up to BUDS. Only active codes can be retrieved after the engine has been shut off so if you get an error again be sure to push the mode, set and turn signal buttons BEFORE you turn off the key.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    On your RT the correct method is #1. If you got a blank screen your code may have reset itself.The only way to retrieve reset codes is to have the dealer put it on BUDS and look at it. That is my understanding of how things work and how I retrieved the codes on my 2012 RT L. My codes did reset themselves after awhile but then would re flash meaning the problem was ongoing. I had read the code and was able to tell the dealer what I found. They did a thorough search of the electronics including pushing on all the connectors and never found anything obvious. That tells me it was something loose and all the pushing fixed it but who knows which one it was. Anyway my code storage is now clear and it isn't giving me a check engine light anymore.

BTW my dealer is 200 mi round trip and it was worth it but still annoying and time consuming
    Thanks for your help. The bike has been stored in my garage for the Winter and has been there several days. However, when I return and start it, the check engine light stays on after turning the key to on, and, once started, the engine light shows at bottom of screen and intermittently flashes the orange warning across the entire screen while running. Nevertheless, the screen is blank when I hold mode and set simultaneously, and then push the directional. I'm assuming that if the warning is still flashing, it is active. Looks like first trip this Spring will be to the dealer for a BUDS exam. Sure wish I knew what the machine is signalling as an error, instead of waiting 5 months, particularly. having just bought it! Thanks Again. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fire the bike up again...
    If it lights up like a Christmas Tree; try pulling the codes again.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Fire the bike up again...
    If it lights up like a Christmas Tree; try pulling the codes again.
    Will try it again today and report back. Thanks Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The blank screen means that you have no "active" codes. That means that the error occurred but is no longer active. As the others have said it can be retrieved by having the dealer hook you up to BUDS. Only active codes can be retrieved after the engine has been shut off so if you get an error again be sure to push the mode, set and turn signal buttons BEFORE you turn off the key.

Good luck.
    The machine is still flashing the orange engine screen when I start it, so I assume it is still active. But the screen still does not show fault codes when I hold in the set and mode buttons and simultaneously press the directional button? Off the BUDS I guess! Thanks, Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This does sound as if you need "BUD'S" help... good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi, I live in VT. and there are only 3 dealers in VT. and one of them is right next to Newport in Derby on Rt.5...Walt's .......So where did you buy it ????.... and why didn't they send you 5 miles away to Walt's.....this is very interesting.................Plus Walt's is a very good shop with very nice people ......Mike
    I purchased the Spyder from Als Ski mobile which is just a few miles from Walt's. because I wanted to establish a relationship with an authorized Can Am service center, I decided I wanted to have it serviced down here. Als took it in trade from a Canadian who purchased a couple of ski-mobiles. I wanted to establish a relationship with a more local authorized Can Am service center and because I wanted it checked out by someone completely independent, I directed them to ship it down here. I ended up returning to Newport VT., 2 weeks later to purchase an Aluma trailer for the bike, by a husband and wife that both had their own Spyders. They purchased them from Walt's and had nothing but good things to say about Walt's

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This does sound as if you need "BUD'S" help... good luck!
    Thanks again for your help. First run in the Spring looks like a trip to the dealer, unfortunately!

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ANSWER

Quote Originally Posted by tsherman02840 View Post
    I purchased the Spyder from Als Ski mobile which is just a few miles from Walt's. because I wanted to establish a relationship with an authorized Can Am service center, I decided I wanted to have it serviced down here. Als took it in trade from a Canadian who purchased a couple of ski-mobiles. I wanted to establish a relationship with a more local authorized Can Am service center and because I wanted it checked out by someone completely independent, I directed them to ship it down here. I ended up returning to Newport VT., 2 weeks later to purchase an Aluma trailer for the bike, by a husband and wife that both had their own Spyders. They purchased them from Walt's and had nothing but good things to say about Walt's
    .....This makes sense.......I'm familiar with Al's also, I recently sold all 4 of my sno-mobiles to them........PS.....every code in the computer system is stored and can be re-trieved by a competent tech........I know this for a fact.......At Spyderfest 2013 a BRP tech told me I had 246 codes stored in the system that went back for 18 months......and there wasn't any active codes showing when He got the Spyder from me that day. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-17-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if 246 stored codes is a record of some sort?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.....This makes sense.......I'm familiar with Al's also, I recently sold all 4 of my sno-mobiles to them........PS.....SpyderAnn 01 said the codes had to active for B.U.D.S. to be able to re-trieve them......This is not true, every code in the computer system is stored and can be re-trieved by a competent tech........I know this for a fact.......At Spyderfest 2013 a BRP tech told me I had 246 codes stored in the system that went back for 18 months......and there wasn't any active codes showing when He got the Spyder from me that day. Mike
    Only active codes display on your screen so if he has shut off the engine he will not be able to retrieve it. All codes, active and occurred can be retrieved by the dealer (unless they clear them).
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only active codes display on your screen so if he has shut off the engine he will not be able to retrieve it. All codes, active and occurred can be retrieved by the dealer (unless they clear them).
    Some codes are cleared by the ECM after awhile. P1614 is cleared after 40 cold starts. No idea about others.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default THANKYOU ANN

Now this clears up any possible confusion that may have been created in your post #5 ...........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

.....This makes sense.......I'm familiar with Al's also, I recently sold all 4 of my sno-mobiles to them........PS.....every code in the computer system is stored and can be re-trieved by a competent tech........I know this for a fact.......At Spyderfest 2013 a BRP tech told me I had 246 codes stored in the system that went back for 18 months......and there wasn't any active codes showing when He got the Spyder from me that day. Mike
    Thanks for the info BlueKnight. I tried retrieving the codes again today without success even though the engine warning is still flashing. Looks like I will have to get it to a competent tech service with BUDS capability to find out whats going on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Will try it again today and report back. Thanks Tom
    Tried again this morning. When the key is turned to on, initially all warning lights on tach gauge light up. Then after a few seconds all go off except oil light. As soon as I start engine, oil light goes off and engine light comes on. Center (info) screen initially reads Trip A mileage at botton center, then intermittently flashes the orange engine symbol and periodically the entire screen goes entirely orange with engine symbol outline. While this was going on. I pressed Mode, Set and Directional simultaneously, screen goes gray with no symbols. I give up? Will have to get it to competent service tech for a BUDS examination, I guess. Thanks to everyone for the help!! Tom

Spyder Garage

Default ISSUE

Tried again this morning. When the key is turned to on, initially all warning lights on tach gauge light up. Then after a few seconds all go off except oil light. As soon as I start engine, oil light goes off and engine light comes on. Center (info) screen initially reads Trip A mileage at botton center, then intermittently flashes the orange engine symbol and periodically the entire screen goes entirely orange with engine symbol outline. While this was going on. I pressed Mode, Set and Directional simultaneously, screen goes gray with no symbols. I give up? Will have to get it to competent service tech for a BUDS examination, I guess. Thanks to everyone for the help!! Tom
    This is interesting...to put this another way.......After you have tried the above to retrieve the code ( and didn't ) ALL indications ( orange flashing etc. ) go away .........and your Spyder is running FINE ........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

This is interesting...to put this another way.......After you have tried the above to retrieve the code ( and didn't ) ALL indications ( orange flashing etc. ) go away .........and your Spyder is running FINE ........Mike
    Correct, I see no evidence of anything malfunctioning ther than the nessages, starts right up, idles smoothly , but message persists. Its unsettling, howeve,r to guess that everything is Okay and I worry about damaging the bike by continuing running it!

Spyder Garage

Default RUNNING IT - VS. DAMAGE

Correct, I see no evidence of anything malfunctioning ther than the nessages, starts right up, idles smoothly , but message persists. Its unsettling, howeve,r to guess that everything is Okay and I worry about damaging the bike by continuing running it!
    ....Well my check engine light has been on since last April about 11,000+ miles ago.....Really .....and mine runs fine also....gets 38-9 mpg consistently and accelerates better than Dee's 2014 RT........I plan to bring it to a dealer to get some warranty work done ....I'm going to mention this ......Mike

Spyder Garage

If the check engine light is flashing, even though you may not be able to retrieve codes by the method you are using, there is a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed. While it isn't major enough to trigger the limp home mode, it is always easier to address minor problems before they become major problems.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I am having the same problem with 2011 RT L has anyone ever heard what the problem was.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The oil light will always light up when the engine isn't running. (no oil pressure)
    As to what makes the "check engine" light come back on...
    If you don't get any error codes: you should still let the dealership take a peek under it's skirts...
    Good Luck!