Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which F3 model?

Spyder Garage

Default Which F3 model?

Hello all:

I would appreciate some input / advice, even opinions!

I am currently debating (with myself) which F3 to buy (although the RT is still an option I think I prefer the F3 for the lower center of gravity and seat.)

Right now I could get a good price on a 2017 F3-S with the BRP promotions. The F3-S would have to be accessorized before it gets out the door: cigarette power plug, heated grips, Shad side cases and Blue Ridge screen. If I want more storage I would need to add a top case. I have an old GIVI with GIVI rack but would need to find a way to attach it to the bike. Then for the occasional ride with my wife, I need a back rest even possibly a better suspension, the occasional two-up as a minimum.

All of a sudden I am getting closer to the F3 Limited in price, although there's something weird with the pricing as it looks like it has gone down from 2017 to 2018. I find many F3L owners also thinker with the windscreen on the F3L so that one too may involve additional expenses. If I was to buy a F3L, I think I would go with the 2018 because I like the display. So I am looking at quite a bit of money for my first Spyder.

I could buy the Limited and pretend it will be my last one but who I am kidding. I've never kept a bike more than 3 years. At the same time I don't want to buy the F3-S, farkle it to death and sell it next year for the new and improved 2019-20 F3L.

On a more technical and pointy question, what is the general opinion on the Blue Ridge windscreen for the F3. I am 5'10''. I know windscreen is an endless debate. I am buying this one because the dealer is a four hour drive from my home and I need something if only to come back from the initial pickup/delivery. So I am afraid I may change it anyway!

Any input will be appreciated.

JG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an f3s and so does my husband. If I were buying now, I'd get the ltd with inbuilt panniers, screen & etc.
    Re blue ridge husband is 5'11" and has it, but added x-screen to reduce buffeting. He looks over the screen. Personal choice...

Spyder Garage

Here's my take. If the F3-S with all its farkles is close in price to the F3-L, I would opt for the latter. I'm of the opinion that the factory equipped machine will be worth more when it comes time to sell than a farkled-up lesser model.

In my experience, people tend to believe that the price the seller attributes to all his/her farkles is often much greater than the value to the buyer of those very same farkles. NADA and KBB offer reasonable values for basic machines but don't tread very deeply, if at all, into the farkle realm.

We went through much the same process and ended up with a pair of new-to-us RTs, an RT Limited and an RT-S. We're both very pleased with our choices too.
    Last edited by Arion; 05-12-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that your Limited would likely be worth more on a trade than a farkled F3S. Have you thought about the F3T? You can add a nice looking top case for a lot less than the cost of a Limited. That’s what i did.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too argumentative.
    You need to sit on all that interest you and if you feel the love then that's the bike to buy.

Spyder Garage

If you go with the F3 Limited, you really get more than just the rear topcase and integrated backrest; you also get automated rear shock adjustment, which means you don't have to re-set by yourself when changing from solo to two-up. Yes, greater cost involved in going with an F3 L than possibly doing add-ons to an F3 T; but you also get the consistent design/looks. Besides, the only real (or fair) way, IMHO, to compare/contrast with an RT Ltd. is to put it up against the F3 Limited, so that you are comparing, as much as possible, between 'equivalent' features, or at least as close as you can come. Then, the real choice is between ergonomics, not options or farkles. Trying to compare any other version of the F3 to an RT is, in my books, rather unfair - both to you and the bikes.

However, if you go with an F3 L (as I did), you're still likely to find yourself spending more money. Many of us have found the stock seat to be uncomfortable; you could be looking at up-grading. Also, there is the question of suitable windshield. Many find the short stock shield doesn't provide enough protection against buffeting; again there could be up-grading costs to achieve your personal comfort level. I'm now trying out my 4th windshield. I swapped my stock seat for an Ultimate. I've made a few minor mechanical tweaks on my own, at little expense. I haven't farkled much, and probably won't do a lot; but don't count on your expenses ending when you ryde your new Spyder off the dealer's lot.
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Best bet on the market today would be a (2017) F-3 T or Limited

Everything worked fine on them and you would not have to add much.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

In most cases, added on farkles become worth zero to 25% in value almost immediately. We see ads on here that get 500 looks and no bites when they list $5,000 worth of farkles and expect to get $3K or $4K back on them. It just does not happen.

Bikes that came with a package seem to do better--since they are "included" in the pricing. Packages usually come out a bit cheaper than trying to match them farkle for farkle.

I had $6K farkles on both GS/RS versions. I made them into RT's--a couple years before the RT. I lost my shirt on the 08 when I traded it in for the 2010 Premier RT--which I just had to have.

Been there and done that. My current ones only have trunk lights, upline seats, footboards (2011), Bumpskid (2014) and driving lights (2011). I consider these all as "sunk" costs and they are not even considered for trade in or private sale on pricing. I have six years on the 2011 purchased in 2012 and four years on the 2014. Going to keep both for the time being.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I agree that your Limited would likely be worth more on a trade than a farkled F3S. Have you thought about the F3T? You can add a nice looking top case for a lot less than the cost of a Limited. That’s what i did.
    I was torn between a F3S and a F3T one year ago. I decided that the cost to equip the f3S was going to be as great as the F3T, and the value would be less. I opted for the F3T because I wanted the larger sprocket for better acceleration. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I am 5'8" and I put an F4 28" windscreen on my 2015 F3s. It works great. Today I drove an 2015 F3s with a Blue ridge screen on it. Not a good expereance as there was a lot of wind in my face and a lot of wind noise.
    I am glad I did not go with the Blue ridge for mine!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default BlueRidge

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all:

I would appreciate some input / advice, even opinions!

I am currently debating (with myself) which F3 to buy (although the RT is still an option I think I prefer the F3 for the lower center of gravity and seat.)

Right now I could get a good price on a 2017 F3-S with the BRP promotions. The F3-S would have to be accessorized before it gets out the door: cigarette power plug, heated grips, Shad side cases and Blue Ridge screen. If I want more storage I would need to add a top case. I have an old GIVI with GIVI rack but would need to find a way to attach it to the bike. Then for the occasional ride with my wife, I need a back rest even possibly a better suspension, the occasional two-up as a minimum.

All of a sudden I am getting closer to the F3 Limited in price, although there's something weird with the pricing as it looks like it has gone down from 2017 to 2018. I find many F3L owners also thinker with the windscreen on the F3L so that one too may involve additional expenses. If I was to buy a F3L, I think I would go with the 2018 because I like the display. So I am looking at quite a bit of money for my first Spyder.

I could buy the Limited and pretend it will be my last one but who I am kidding. I've never kept a bike more than 3 years. At the same time I don't want to buy the F3-S, farkle it to death and sell it next year for the new and improved 2019-20 F3L.

On a more technical and pointy question, what is the general opinion on the Blue Ridge windscreen for the F3. I am 5'10''. I know windscreen is an endless debate. I am buying this one because the dealer is a four hour drive from my home and I need something if only to come back from the initial pickup/delivery. So I am afraid I may change it anyway!

Any input will be appreciated.

JG
    Unless you are short, don't buy a Blueridge. They dump the air right into your face at freeway speed if you are over six feet. Go with a F4 Custom or one of the other aftermarket shields. Better quality at a lower price. The Shad bags are nice, but they are easy to install-do that one yourself and save some money. The heated grips are plug n play so do them yourself. If you are at all handy, Lamonster's power plate is easy to install and he has a video on how to do it. No need to pay a dealer one hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks an hour for simple things.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 05-13-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

If you are debating between a RT and a F3, you need to get the Limited.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I purchased the F3L in 17 no problems after 7000 wonderful miles i changed out several windscreens was not happy with any of them i had an old Tulsa windscreen extra tall off my Goldwing cut off the bottom 5 inches just perfect has vent in it and no buffeting camera on windscreen no jumping of the dash cam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    I purchased the F3L in 17 no problems after 7000 wonderful miles i changed out several windscreens was not happy with any of them i had an old Tulsa windscreen extra tall off my Goldwing cut off the bottom 5 inches just perfect has vent in it and no buffeting camera on windscreen no jumping of the dash cam
    Where are you located in Arkansas, Sylvester?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Just south oh Mt Home in Norfork

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    If you are debating between a RT and a F3, you need to get the Limited.
    Why?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Too argumentative.
    You need to sit on all that interest you and if you feel the love then that's the bike to buy.
    I think you mean too analytical! I have felt the love that is why I am buying one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Have you thought about the F3T? You can add a nice looking top case for a lot less than the cost of a Limited. That’s what i did.
    I have but I figure at that point may as well get the LTD and have the advantage of the auto air suspension.

Spyder Garage

Why?
    Because the limited is much like the RT in amenities bells and whistles, only with the F3 stance.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    In most cases, added on farkles become worth zero to 25% in value almost immediately. We see ads on here that get 500 looks and no bites when they list $5,000 worth of farkles and expect to get $3K or $4K back on them. It just does not happen.

Bikes that came with a package seem to do better--since they are "included" in the pricing. Packages usually come out a bit cheaper than trying to match them farkle for farkle.

I had $6K farkles on both GS/RS versions. I made them into RT's--a couple years before the RT. I lost my shirt on the 08 when I traded it in for the 2010 Premier RT--which I just had to have.

Been there and done that. My current ones only have trunk lights, upline seats, footboards (2011), Bumpskid (2014) and driving lights (2011). I consider these all as "sunk" costs and they are not even considered for trade in or private sale on pricing. I have six years on the 2011 purchased in 2012 and four years on the 2014. Going to keep both for the time being.
    Excellent post and "resale truth". Pretty much been my experience as well when selling vehicles with "mods". My view of what's necessary, cool, and desirable very probably won't be the next potential owners views.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I have but I figure at that point may as well get the LTD and have the advantage of the auto air suspension.
    This is news to me. I realize that the RTS and RT Limited had auto air suspension, but I thought the F3 Limited had the manual air suspension, just like the F3T. Can someone verify that for me?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    This is news to me. I realize that the RTS and RT Limited had auto air suspension, but I thought the F3 Limited had the manual air suspension, just like the F3T. Can someone verify that for me?
    I have the auto on my F3L 17 model and love it don't have to mess with it even when the trl is attached

Spyder Garage

Smile Agree

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Because the limited is much like the RT in amenities bells and whistles, only with the F3 stance.
    Agree. That is why I am leaning towards the F3, subject to a quick final test ride possibly tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Excellent post and "resale truth". Pretty much been my experience as well when selling vehicles with "mods". My view of what's necessary, cool, and desirable very probably won't be the next potential owners views.
    Yes, this is a eye opener. I am having the same experience trading my current bike for a Spyder. So fully agree and that is why I am now leaning towards the F3L, subject to a final test ride possibly tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    I have the auto on my F3L 17 model and love it don't have to mess with it even when the trl is attached
    This is good to know. I thought that was only in the RT models. I typically would not have a need for this feature, as I ride 97% alone. But when I do take the wife out for longer rides, or trips (like to the spyder rally in Maggie Valley), I have to remember to add air for the additional weight. Having the auto adjust would eliminate that. Can you adjust the ride from hard to soft like on the RT, or is it just auto adjusting?