Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question Rear End Collision Detection Using Wi-Fi

I was just reading the current thread concerning the Spyder that got rear ended in Houston.....with more and more rear enders occuring of course we need to pay as much attention to our mirrors as possible...while reading it the thought came to me about a rear facing camera.

Has anyone tried using a GoPro or similar video camera with a Wi-Fi set up to put the rearview on the screen of your smart phone?

I have a Spyder Cuff with a Ram Mount for my Galaxy Note 4 phone so it would be easy to see.....it would be like a "backing up" camera in a car.

It would be a pretty wide view I would think.....

Any ideas or thoughts about this is a good idea or not.....?

Spyder Garage

Would be abused quickly.
    Wifi too handy.
    More needs to done for being seen & such everyone in such a rush they dont look where they are going.
    #2651ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447521574.607930.jpg
    http://www.jccomputac.com/#2651
    Otherwise a standard drivers ed refresher every 3 years would suck but less than getting hit....... Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

How would it be abused?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    How would it be abused?
    I think he means that riders with WiFi access on-board might be tempted to fall into the same electronics abuse that causes many rear-end accidents, by distracted drivers, in the first place. If so, I would agree. Heck, the GPS display is sometimes distracting enough.

Problem I see is that if you cannot force yourself to look in your rear-view mirrors at every stop, how would looking at a camera display be any different? However, the threat you bring up is a real one. The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Last edited by robmorg; 11-14-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I think he means that riders with WiFi access on-board might be tempted to fall into the same electronics abuse that causes many rear-end accidents, by distracted drivers, in the first place. If so, I would agree. Heck, the GPS display is sometimes distracting enough.

Problem I see is that if you cannot force yourself to look in your rear-view mirrors at every stop, how would looking at a camera display be any different? However, the threat you bring up is a real one. The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Thx & yes that and other ways wifi is "hacked".

Point is to be safe fyi I just received my set of wireless helmet lights today, will have pics soon here is the concept on video
    Fyi link again
    http://www.jccomputac.com

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

I agree with being just as safe as possible...it wouldn't be a case of not wearing the proper clothing or having proper lighting on as you could still do that...and it wouldn't be "watching" the Wi-Fi but glancing or looking at it just as if you were looking at the mirrors.

Wearing very bright clothes and having a lot of very bright lights may not matter at all if the driver behind you is texting and looking at their phone rather than at what is in front of them.....we can only try to be safer by doing extra to become more visible but when bad drivers don't see anything in front of them because of distraction we need to figure out how to save ourselves in-spite of their bad driving..... that's what I am trying to figure out how to do...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Fundamental, just plain fundamental, as taught in every motorcycle rider safety course. Still doesn't make it any easier to establish the habit though. We discussed rear end hits in a GWRRA meeting I was at today. Besides keeping an eye on the mirrors the general consensus was we need to make a habit of leaving escape room in front of us when stopped. I think that will be being stressed more and more these days because of the increase in distracted cagers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

they have offered such a critter. One was built into the helmet and one was as you suggested. It would be no problem to do as you stated. Thing is what do you do if you do see someone comming up too fast..?? I like to stop to the far right with enough room to pull onto the shoulder and at least if not possible I would loose a front wheel at best...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Fundamental, just plain fundamental, as taught in every motorcycle rider safety course. Still doesn't make it any easier to establish the habit though. We discussed rear end hits in a GWRRA meeting I was at today. Besides keeping an eye on the mirrors the general consensus was we need to make a habit of leaving escape room in front of us when stopped.
    Technology won't save your butt; the use of your own senses might...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering though.... what's the difference between watching the Wi-Fi screen and watching the mirrors? Is there such a thing as watching mirrors abuse?

Maybe it'll come down to which gives a rider a better view of behind...I'm not saying it's a great idea just trying to figure out what might help us Spyder ryders not get hit from behind so much.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    I'm wondering though.... what's the difference between watching the Wi-Fi screen and watching the mirrors? Is there such a thing as watching mirrors abuse?
    Well, you don't "watch your mirrors". You just check 'em when you are stopping. The "abuse" I think Bfomia was referring to had more to do with other distracting things you could do with WiFi on board that may cause distractions while riding.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I m may just have to give it a try and see....it should be worth trying if it can help stop someone getting hurt.

It maybe a crazy idea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Look at the Garmin Virb camera

Easy to operate. Not as complicated as the other brand. Install one on front behind windshield with JT's bar and ram mount and mount the other on the truck lid facing rear. Turn the front camera on and it sends a signal to the rear camera to also begin filming. Install USB power to each, install a big memory card and you can film all day. The Virb isn't as popular as the others but will do every thing that you need. Do a duck duck go search to find the Garmin website.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    Easy to operate. Not as complicated as the other brand. Install one on front behind windshield with JT's bar and ram mount and mount the other on the truck lid facing rear. Turn the front camera on and it sends a signal to the rear camera to also begin filming. Install USB power to each, install a big memory card and you can film all day. The Virb isn't as popular as the others but will do every thing that you need. Do a duck duck go search to find the Garmin website.
    I have been using the Virb Elite since lat year, used it on the trip to Spyderfest but rather expensive; add the Tempe and remote control button and the Virb will give you exactly what you need for a rear view camera since it is Wi-Fi the Virb can transmit live video to your Android Phone but don't get a phone call when in use cause your phone will lock up. The fix is use an older Android Phone without a contract.

Since I have added a K1S Dual channel Camera with Crash Avoidance however everytime someone gets to close at a stoplight the darn alarm goes off.

Spyder Garage

This needs to be operational & "live"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447817411.596491.jpg fyi mounts to trailer hitch receiver

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    This needs to be operational & "live"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447817411.596491.jpg fyi mounts to trailer hitch receiver

Now that's funny; a bit extreme tho.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But when they're talking on the phone, or texting...
    While I applaud the usage of these automatic braking systems; I also fear that they'll just create even MORE drivers who have more important things to do, than drive the car!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got ran off the road yesterday. A car on the inside lane pulled up next to me and then just started merging into my lane and kept going. I honked and hit the brakes hard but the woman still kept coming. She didn't even look to see who or what was honking. Needless to say I was a little on the angry side. So I got back in my lane jump over to the other lane and pull up next to her and give her the "Bird" as I drive by. I can't believe she didn't see me, I wear a fluorescent green helmet and I am 6' 4" so I am not a tiny rider LOL.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey

Quote Originally Posted by spy_der_man View Post
    I just got ran off the road yesterday. A car on the inside lane pulled up next to me and then just started merging into my lane and kept going. I honked and hit the brakes hard but the woman still kept coming. She didn't even look to see who or what was honking. Needless to say I was a little on the angry side. So I got back in my lane jump over to the other lane and pull up next to her and give her the "Bird" as I drive by. I can't believe she didn't see me, I wear a fluorescent green helmet and I am 6' 4" so I am not a tiny rider LOL.
    I used to live in Visalia! Nice town. I moved out in 79, I am sure it has grown. I can guarantee you that woman thought to herself......what a jerk! Flipping me off for no reason at all. Who does he think he is?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Check this out........ interesting!!
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/t...orcycle-helmet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage