Spyder Garage

Default Any updates on improved Madstad bracket?

Quite a while ago we heard that a new bracket would be available to reduce shield vibration. At one point it was a week way.......and that was a long time ago.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Last I heard was they were putting everyone that inquired on a email list and will send out a mass email when there is info about it. Been at least a month ago.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had my Madstad for about 3 weeks or so now. The shield doesn't move at all. I believe it has the updated brackets.

Spyder Garage

If you post a pic, we might be able to see if you have a different bracket than the older ones.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Picture

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Madstad

It is hard to imagine it being any better, I have the Madstad on 2 of my
    motorcycles and my Spyder they are fantastic and mine do not move or
    shake at all.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Default !

Mine is rock solid. Less movement than on my KTM stock windshield. Great product!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree. Shield does not budge.

Spyder Garage

My wife's Madstad shakes annoyingly when it's in a higher position. Clearly, Madstad thinks there is an issue since they have engineered a new bracket to address this concern. I applaud their attitude as most companies would simply deny there is an issue at all.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ordered a replacement shield from my original Madstad, this one 2" wider on both sides. It came earlier this week and with it the "bracket reinforcement piece". That piece was a surprise to me and had no instructions for where it goes! I now know it is shown in the pic posted by EricD. It is the 1" wide bar that fits along the front edge of the dash and bolts up thru the base plate. Thanks EricD for the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No problem. That's what this forum is all about, helping each other out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't see any difference

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    Here you go.
    From mine. Called them about 3 weeks ago and got the same answer. "New brackets are in the works. Will they be replaced free of charge? Answer was "That will be determined"
    I am very happy with the shield, just not real happy with the screw marks in the top of my gauge cluster or the customer service. Added some additional plastic washers to move the bracket up off of the gauge cluster. It would only hit when the got up to about 70 mph.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blickdave View Post
    I ordered a replacement shield from my original Madstad, this one 2" wider on both sides. It came earlier this week and with it the "bracket reinforcement piece". That piece was a surprise to me and had no instructions for where it goes! I now know it is shown in the pic posted by EricD. It is the 1" wide bar that fits along the front edge of the dash and bolts up thru the base plate. Thanks EricD for the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looked closer at the picture and I now see a different bracket. So........wonder when I will get the email about the replacement?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update as of this past Wednesday

Called them this past Tuesday, Talked to Blair and was told, and I quote, " I will get back to you by the end of the day with an update on that new bracket." No call back. Called them again on Wednesday and I spoke to Blair again. I was then told that yes, the new bracket was available.......for $44.00. So I asked if that meant that a new windshield now cost an additional $44.00. They told me that was their cost for the piece and that I already had mounting brackets when I purchased the windshield. I told them that I would definitely send back the old brackets if they send me the new part or parts. They are now sending me the replacement part or parts and said that I should have it by Tuesday of this week. Now we wait and see.
    I will say again. I have been very happy with the windshield, except for the issue listed in my previous post. I have always believed that you should get what you pay for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM THIS COMPANY

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    Here you go.
    If you take a close look at this picture, it shows two things.
    1. The "engineered" bracket that they came up with looks like a bridge beam off of the Golden Gate Bridge, compared to the original one. Definitely took away from the clean look of the original part. I can say that because it is on my Spyder....for another few days until I get back home and rip it off. I'll explain at the bottom of this post.
    2. The most important issue with this new bracket is the fact that it raised the top of the windshield close to 2 INCHES!!!!! I used to be able to see over the top of it. Now, I have to look through it, even with it lowered to the bottom and tilted back as far as it will go! I just about ran into the back of my wife's Harley yesterday because of the distortion looking through it on a bright sunny day.
    I sent them an email last night stating the points listed above. Told them that they took a good product that had one small issue and made it much worse. Told them that it wasn't safe, as it is assembled right now. The reply from Mark was " I will get an RA number emailed to you. Send the whole windshield back for credit."
    What kind of CRAP is that? Not an offer to replace with a shorter windshield. Nothing. Done with them. Now I have to make my own modifications and figure how to get the freaking name off of the bottom of it!
    Worse aftermarket company that I have ever dealt with! Buyer beware.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you can't win and that's for both sides!

I think that their offer to refund your purchase price is honourable. It may not be the answer you were expecting but it allows you to shop for a more suitable replacement with experience at your back to choose a worthy replacement!

Creating a replacement part often takes time, moola, construction, testing, more testing then tooling up and shipping out! It's a costly affair and when forced out may not be aesthetically pleasing in its first few batches but time and experience will eventually work the design out.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Shield

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    If you take a close look at this picture, it shows two things.
    1. The "engineered" bracket that they came up with looks like a bridge beam off of the Golden Gate Bridge, compared to the original one. Definitely took away from the clean look of the original part. I can say that because it is on my Spyder....for another few days until I get back home and rip it off. I'll explain at the bottom of this post.
    2. The most important issue with this new bracket is the fact that it raised the top of the windshield close to 2 INCHES!!!!! I used to be able to see over the top of it. Now, I have to look through it, even with it lowered to the bottom and tilted back as far as it will go! I just about ran into the back of my wife's Harley yesterday because of the distortion looking through it on a bright sunny day.
    I sent them an email last night stating the points listed above. Told them that they took a good product that had one small issue and made it much worse. Told them that it wasn't safe, as it is assembled right now. The reply from Mark was " I will get an RA number emailed to you. Send the whole windshield back for credit."
    What kind of CRAP is that? Not an offer to replace with a shorter windshield. Nothing. Done with them. Now I have to make my own modifications and figure how to get the freaking name off of the bottom of it!
    Worse aftermarket company that I have ever dealt with! Buyer beware.

I dropped mine 4 inches by moving the top holes to the bottom and redrilled the top holes, much more stable with the original brackets, I don't feel I should have to pay extra for their improvement to an issue they are aware of but I do like the windshield. Carl in SC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Was thinking along the same lines

Now that I will have some time to cool off about it, before I get home this weekend, and see it sitting in the garage.
    I had thought about lowering it that way. Just wish that it wouldn't wind up with two holes not being used.
    They just didn't handle the situation correctly. I service and install German woodworking factory machinery with the cost up in the $500,000.00 range. If I tell a customer that this is the way it is, take it or leave it, we would be out of business in a very short time. Not good business sense.