Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Uh huh

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Unbelievable

Bob
    Unfreaking believable!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    When I Ryde I Ryde, same in the truck or car, NO CELL phone I just put my binky in off position and wait till I stop, This obsession with being conected every second of ones life never ceases to amaze me . Hoe in the heck did we manage to survive all these years with out a phone GLUDED to our ears?

Thats just my opinion and we are all intillted to them.

It's A FRICKIN ADDICTION

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Samsung note syncs with my Garmin GPS, and then with my Sena 20s. I do not make out going calls while I ride, but when an incoming call takes place it announces who is calling in my ear, if it is one of my children or aging siblings I take the call by saying "answer", all others get ignored by saying "Ignore"and go to voice mail.

I see both sides of this argument, I love to ride with no disruptions or distractions, I do however, want to be available in times of emergencies.

I do hate distracted drivers though. I was driving the car the other day and I had a young women who was texting wander over into my lane and cut me off. I had to swerve to miss her and i almost dropped my cheeseburger and milkshake in the process.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 11-12-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Getting an emergency phone call that your daughter (in your case, Sonny Boy) is in surgery could be important.
    Don't want to hear that kind of information while I am riding. The shock could easily cause an accident. I will get good or bad information after the kickstand is down or parking brake is set. (in the case of Spyder ryder) People who are bound at the hip with there cell phones live in constant fear of bad news or missing something. We all need to have a little self control.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 11-12-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I use UClear with my IPhone no button to push just say pickup. And no mic phone hanging in your face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Don't let some of these members get you down.....

They are the first ones that play with their radio stations, drink a 32oz soda from their chrome cup holder, look at their GPS, push the button on the side of their helmet to talk to their wife, adjust the windshield, air ride suspension and countless other things that are distractions as well.

Ummm...not me. I ride...period.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Harkening back to an earlier time!

For a little peace and quiet, a phoneless cord!

Attached Images Attached Images

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess the difference between a lot of you and me is that I ride a lot. If I never got a phone call because I was riding then I would miss some important calls. For those of you who put a couple of miles on your Spyders each year, you can afford to leave your phone at home for that hour or two each month that you actually ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Don't want to hear that kind of information while I am riding. The shock could easily cause an accident. I will get good or bad information after the kickstand is down or parking brake is set. (in the case of Spyder ryder) People who are bound at the hip with there cell phones live in constant fear of bad news or missing something. We all need to have a little self control.

Jack
    Just for your information. My phone is always in the trunk, and I never bother to look at it, even when we stop. My gf asks me why do I have a cell phone; most times when I'm home, I don't even pick it up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep one in my riding jacket pocket.. for emergencies along the road, and to check in during my rides. Since I'm a Type I diabetic; the Missus wants to get a read on what my Blood Glucose levels are, if I'm on the bike without her.
    But these chores are saved for when I'm off the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I guess the difference between a lot of you and me is that I ride a lot. If I never got a phone call because I was riding then I would miss some important calls. For those of you who put a couple of miles on your Spyders each year, you can afford to leave your phone at home for that hour or two each month that you actually ride.
    I agree with you SpyderAnn01! The Spyder is my car now. I don't even have my truck anymore. I ride to work on it rain or shine. It is not that I am addicted to my phone. It is that I spend so much time on my bike that it is more efficient. Since I am not retired and in leadership where I work, have a family, and working on a masters degree at the same time...I do not have much spare time. So making calls to and from work helps me unplug when I take my beautiful wife and daughters to dinner at night. Now THAT is when you should put your phone down!

I think hands free phone conversations are just fine. If you disagree, then I hope you never talk to your passengers while you drive, even in your car, because it is pretty much the same thing...
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

2012 Spyder RTS - Blue (17,700 miles)

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

ISCI Hand Brake w/ cup holder

ISCI center screw RAM mount w/ universal holder

ISCI driver and passenger floorboards

FZ-1 fuse block

Powerlet 12-volt socket installed in front speaker grill

Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Hopnel dash bags and saddle bag nets

Spyder Garage

I am a sales manager for my company so even when I am not at work I need to be available, that even means occasional phone calls from the Boss even when I am on vacation. We had an agreement a few years ago that only 1 week of vacation could be taken at a time during the summer which is our busiest months. That doesn't work out well when summer is the best time to vacation on a cycle, and from where I live it take 1 week to get to and from all the best riding spots.
    I got the boss to compromise and let me take two weeks at a time as long as I am available for phone calls from him while on vacation.
    That used to mean feeling the phone vibrate in my pocket when a call came in, start looking for a place to pull off, taking the gloves and helmet off, and then calling him back hoping he was available at that time.
    Now it is a simple"answer" have the conversation as I ride, and keep my boss happy. If a few minute conversation as I ride gets me an extra consecutive week of riding every year I am all for it.
    With the Sena 20s being so clear on a phone call, I have sneaked out of the office on several nice days to go on very pleasant rides, still stayed in contact with the people I needed to, and the boss never knew I was on my Spyder.

I hope he doesn't read this forum!!

Spyder Garage

What the 'ell did we do when mobile communication devices were unavilble to the masses? We planned our time and did without constant communication. And the stress levels were lower.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    What the 'ell did we do when mobile communication devices were unavilble to the masses? We planned our time and did without constant communication. And the stress levels were lower.
    Same thing could be said about cars, air conditioning, electric stoves, microwaves, etc. and it doesn't mean we don't use them to make our lives better.

As I said in my post above, using my phone while I am in stop and go traffic lets me make use of otherwise wasted time so I can be more focused on my family when I get home and unplug then.

My stress level is much lower now that I have learned how to be more efficient with my time. So using my phone while I drive has helped me lower my stress because I take care of stuff I don't have to when I am present with my family...

Just sayin'
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

FZ-1 fuse block

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Here's what we did!

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's what we did!

HMMMM, I wonder how many accidents were caused or had by people who were distracted looking for one of these as they drove, or making U turns to get to one of these as they drove by it?

Here is what was said about car radios when they first came out, and yet I bet every one of these people use the one in their car.

In 1930, laws were proposed in Massachusetts and St. Louis to ban radios while driving. According to automotive historian Michael Lamm, “Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, and that music could lull a driver to sleep.”
    Even the Auto Club of New York agreed. In their 1934 poll, 56 percent deemed the car radio a “dangerous distraction.” Arguing the other side was the Radio Manufacturers Association, who pointed out that car radios could be used to warn drivers of inclement weather and bad road conditions, as well as keeping them awake when they got drowsy.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 11-13-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I work full time, (60 hrs, week ) and found some free time to Ryde 20K this year and still refuse to have a phone gluded to my ear, Distracted Driving, Riding is still Didtracted driving, anyone who thinks that they have 100 % attention on the Hwy. while driving and on the phone is lieing to themselves and everyone else on the road with them, just my opinion and also backed up by MANY studies.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I work full time, (60 hrs, week ) and found some free time to Ryde 20K this year and still refuse to have a phone gluded to my ear, Distracted Driving, Riding is still Didtracted driving, anyone who thinks that they have 100 % attention on the Hwy. while driving and on the phone is lieing to themselves and everyone else on the road with them, just my opinion and also backed up by MANY studies.
    Just curious... So when someone rides in a car with you, do you talk to them?

By by the way, keep in mind we are talking hands free phone conversations not holding on to a phone while you drive. That is a different story in my book.
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

FZ-1 fuse block

Spyder Garage

Default so are you claiming to be..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's what we did!

Dr. who?
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post
    Just curious... So when someone rides in a car with you, do you talk to them?
    Conversation w/ someone CAN cause distracted driving also!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Conversation w/ someone CAN cause distracted driving also!
    I agree but are you saying we should never talk to our car passengers or that it can't be done safely? My argument with the phone debate is it is no different then talking to a passenger in a car (as long as it is hands free).

i would also be curious to know how many of the no phone call when riding people use intercom systems in their helmets either with passengers or other riders?
    Last edited by iSpyder; 11-13-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

FZ-1 fuse block

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look... the bottom-line is; pay attention to what you are doing when riding/driving; and do not assume you are as capable as you may think at multi-tasking when doing so.

Too many feel they are superior in their riding/driving skills; when evidence shows they are likely not. Surveys continue to reveal drivers consider themselves to be good (if not superior) drivers, and others as bad drivers. This is ludicrous.

While some may be better than others handling distractions; everyone's skill is diminished to some degree. There is empirical evidence to prove it. Distracted drivers/riders are the cause of a fairly large percentage of accidents. Is it only the "bad" distracted-drivers who cause the accidents, and not the "good" distracted drivers? No. The best drivers, when distracted, are part of the accident statistics also.

So, if you are one believing your skills are superior, you might want to reconsider your thoughts.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/resear...ield_cptax_tid[]=26&field_cp_date_value[value][year]=

Ride safe, often, and aware... because apparently many will continue to insist they are not the problem. It's human's-nature...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you're on your Bike; the most important task, is riding the bike!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Look... the bottom-line is; pay attention to what you are doing when riding/driving; and do not assume you are as capable as you may think at multi-tasking when doing so.

Too many feel they are superior in their riding/driving skills; when evidence shows they are likely not. Surveys continue to reveal drivers consider themselves to be good (if not superior) drivers, and others as bad drivers. This is ludicrous.

While some may be better than others handling distractions; everyone's skill is diminished to some degree. There is empirical evidence to prove it. Distracted drivers/riders are the cause of a fairly large percentage of accidents. Is it only the "bad" distracted-drivers who cause the accidents, and not the "good" distracted drivers? No. The best drivers, when distracted, are part of the accident statistics also.

So, if you are one believing your skills are superior, you might want to reconsider your thoughts.

https://www.aaafoundation.org/resear...ield_cptax_tid[]=26&field_cp_date_value[value][year]=

Ride safe, often, and aware... because apparently many will continue to insist they are not the problem. It's human's-nature...
    just enjoy the ride and use the binky when you stop to fuel up or for a break.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

just enjoy the ride and use the binky when you stop to fuel up or for a break.

Now that makes sense

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings