Thread: Gas Smell

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Smell

Hi guys. I was out riding today and was noticing a strong gas smell when I was at a light or when I parked anywhere. When I got home I looked underneath the bike to see if gas was leaking and saw (this is hard to explain) a concentrated plume of hot gases coming from the front, central area. I took a video with my iPhone but can't figure out how to post it. It's the wrong file type. I called my dealer and they said I probably overfilled the gas tank and this is gas fumes evaporating out of the charcoal canister. I guess my question is did I get the right explaination for this? And is this dangerous? I have a 2011 RT-L.

Thanks for your help.

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

First, its NOT overfilling the fuel tank.

You need to get it checked out. Could be a failed purge valve or bad carbon canister.

That said, all the 998s prior to the 2013 recall use a fuel system where hot fuel is returned to the tank from the pressure regulator. A hot engine bay adds to the troubles and significant vapors are formed in the fuel tank. These flow out to the canister and environment. The 2013s prior to recall were really bad about it but all prior had the same basic design with less heat applied.

Reduce the heat applied to the fuel, will reduce the fumes. There is no recall for models prior to 2013 but BRP will install the air scoops on all older RTs and they do help considerably.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I have the scoops already. It did help with heat. So this could just be normal venting of hot fumes? I'm guessing the 1330s don't have the same problem?

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyRyde View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have the scoops already. It did help with heat. So this could just be normal venting of hot fumes? I'm guessing the 1330s don't have the same problem?
    That's right.. The 1330s do not have the problem
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyRyde View Post
    The 2013s post recall and all 2014 and newer 1330s have a returnless fuel system and do not have the problem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RTS SE5 that had a gas smell after a long ride. There is a recall on the gas cap for it but not sure about the 2011.

I have ugraded mine to a 2014 RT SE6 Limited and do not have that issue any longer

Rick
    Rick Fisch
    2014 RT Limited