Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Illegal Spyder???

I was on a ride the other night when I had to stop for two local Sheriffs doing their traffic directing duty. While I am waiting for them to motion me through, one of them walked toward me. I expected the normal "whats that" or "cool machine, after all a Spyder does attract attention.
    Instead I was informed that "according to Michigan law" my factory Spyder RTL has to many lights facing forwards and is illegal in the state of MI. I was told that only 4 white lights could face the front. My Spyder has 2 headlights, 2 fog lights, 2 little LED lights, and 2 white lights on the front fender making it 8 so I was not compliant with the law.

I told him, "sorry" and turned off the fog lights, he said I still was not compliant because I still had 6 forward facing white lights. I told him it was all stock and there was nothing I could do about it, he just laughed, said he was just messing with me and motioned me through.

It made me wonder about what he was saying and here is what I found. I skipped the parts that didn't pertain.

State Law:

257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.
    Sec. 685.
    (2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
    (4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

(5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.

There is a law that I had never heard of.
    Now I am wondering if the LED lights on the fender and above the headlights put out more than 300 candlepower.
    Does anyone have any information on those? I cant find it anywhere.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I was on a ride the other night when I had to stop for two local Sheriffs doing their traffic directing duty. While I am waiting for them to motion me through, one of them walked toward me. I expected the normal "whats that" or "cool machine, after all a Spyder does attract attention.
    Instead I was informed that "according to Michigan law" my factory Spyder RTL has to many lights facing forwards and is illegal in the state of MI. I was told that only 4 white lights could face the front. My Spyder has 2 headlights, 2 fog lights, 2 little LED lights, and 2 white lights on the front fender making it 8 so I was not compliant with the law.

I told him, "sorry" and turned off the fog lights, he said I still was not compliant because I still had 6 forward facing white lights. I told him it was all stock and there was nothing I could do about it, he just laughed, said he was just messing with me and motioned me through.

It made me wonder about what he was saying and here is what I found. I skipped the parts that didn't pertain.

State Law:

257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.
    Sec. 685.
    (2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
    (4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

(5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.

Now I am wondering if the LED lights on the fender and above the headlights put out more than 300 candlepower.
    Did they talk to you or give you a citation? Did you encounter a couple rookies during a slow night? Most states do have similar laws, but your encounter is one of a very few that I has seen posted here.

There are a whole lot of semi's lit up like Christmas trees going down the road.

I also have a bump skid on mine, and if you count lights, I think I would also be in trouble. Here, I have never been stopped and did have a State Trooper give me a thumbs up sign when he went by one dusky evening.

IMO--lights are good and should add to the safety and visibility of those using them.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are far less than 300 candlepower... You just ran into a fellow who must be trying to Make a name for himself...

... A BAD name!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-29-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No he was not mean or rude, no ticket was given, and in fact as I stated he laughed about it.
    It just made me wonder if he was right, so i looked it up, and then it made me wonder how may candlepower those little light put out just in case I run into him again.
    I almost think it was his way of starting a conversation about the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

No he was not mean or rude, no ticket was given, and in fact as I stated he laughed about it.
    It just made me wonder if he was right, so i looked it up, and then it made me wonder how may candlepower those little light put out just in case I run into him again.
    I almost think it was his way of starting a conversation about the Spyder.
    I did not absorb the "he was laughing about it" on my first read. I went for the heart of the post. Oooooooooooooops--jumped the gun a bit.

I did have a HP in MN pull me over on my Venture in the 80's. He ended up wanting to see my Yosemite Sam lighted mud flap.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Those kind of limits are to prevent vehicles like off road pickups you see occasionally with a light bar on top with about 10 headlamps from having all those lights turned on while on the highway.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Dealers sell limiteds with the fog lights installed. Could not do if illegal. & asked same question to dealers & leo buddys fyi the fender lights are "marker (indicader)lights" much like blinkers but not used to light the road infront of you. Little loophole some may not be aware of. Always safer to ask than be ignorant. Now all tha aditional lights you could mount.... Just play by the rules & dont get us in trouble plz.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

A lot of states have laws that are not enforced. In South Carolina you can not have more than 4 white lights facing forward, none to the rear, only red or amber on the rear, and only white or amber on the front. The only way I can explain it is, we just have too many laws and lawers.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LIGHTS

IMHO....I believe Federal DOT supersedes State regulations on this ..........and it's not a violation, because the Spyder as equipped by the manufacturer complies with the LAW ....otherwise it couldn't be SOLD in the U.S.A. ........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO....I believe Federal DOT supersedes State regulations on this ..........and it's not a violation, because the Spyder as equipped by the manufacturer complies with the LAW ....otherwise it couldn't be SOLD in the U.S.A. ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Never argue with LEOs, but the REALITY is if the Spyder WERE illegal, you would not be able to register it, obtain a plate, or have dealers selling them.
    Not sure "what" the 2 little LED lights refer to?

AJ

State Law:

Sec. 685.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Never argue with LEOs, but the REALITY is if the Spyder WERE illegal, you would not be able to register it, obtain a plate, or have dealers selling them.
    Not sure "what" the 2 little LED lights refer to?

AJ
    This is true provided one did not add any other lights. i.e. After market and not OEM.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Lights....

fog lights, driving lights, parking lights side marker lights are not classified as headlights...how many you have on at one time could be an issue but have never seen a problem. Only when you get into the colored light...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

State Law:

Sec. 685.

Amazing, you can carry a gun but to many lights is illegal. Wtf is the world coming to .

Spyder Garage

In CA, a retired fireman riding his spyder with the LED American flag on the mud flap was stopped by CHP and threaten with a ticket because he had a blue lite on his bike. In the end he didn't write the ticket.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    In CA, a retired fireman riding his spyder with the LED American flag on the mud flap was stopped by CHP and threaten with a ticket because he had a blue lite on his bike. In the end he didn't write the ticket.
    if that is the law so be it. but i hope the chp can live & work to his own standards, i don't want the leo parking his m/c on a sidewalk or in
    front of a hydrant or stopping at cvs while on duty or talking to his girlfriend while on duty........

Spyder Garage

Default Most new cars have dozens of LEDS

My car has at least 24 forward facing LEDs ringing the head light. Sounds like a very dated law he quoted. Probably wriiten right after the law that says you have to clean up your horse poop when your buggy goes through town.

Spyder Garage

...he just laughed, said he was just messing with me and motioned me through....
    Am I the only one who finds the idea of a cop "just messing with [you]" disturbing? We've already got enough problems in this country with police-public relations; something like this definitely doesn't help.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same for my state no more than 4 white lights on the front. I always wondered about the 2 extra little lights in the headlight housing too.. I run the LED flag on my rear bumper and yes I could be pulled over because of the blue lighting but since its on the back I figure they don't bother. Plus I can turn mine off with the remote control I have setup on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I run the fog lights I turn the spot LED lights off. So either the headlights and Fogs - or headlights and Spots.

No more than 4 driving lights in the front. Fogs are driving lights. Headlights are driving lights. The Spot LEDs are driving lights. The fender lights are marker lights. Not only are HIDs and more that 4 are illegal but blinding oncomming drivers can be dangerous when they can't see you. I like being able to see and I like oncoming drivers to be able to avoid me. :-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

my FJR Sport/Tourer...Clearwater Krista's (dimmable) and Glenda's plus 2 stock headlights...was always secure riding through the middle of the night in summer to avoid the blistering summer heat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    fog lights, driving lights, parking lights side marker lights are not classified as headlights...how many you have on at one time could be an issue but have never seen a problem. Only when you get into the colored light...
    Fog lights are. That's why when highbeams are activated, the vehicle shuts off the either OR both the low and fogs.
    Parking/side marking lights are still required.. and the fender lights also may be required under certain states cause the front wheels are wider then the chassis and body of the vehicle, depends if they want to classify it as a motorcycle or automobile, and some states still vary.
    Current
    2016 Can Am F3T Special Series
    2015 Can Am Renegade 1000 X XC
    2011 Can Am Outlander 800R X XC
    Previous
    2012 Can Am RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by RotaxDuramax View Post
    Fog lights are. That's why when highbeams are activated, the vehicle shuts off the either OR both the low and fogs.
    Parking/side marking lights are still required.. and the fender lights also may be required under certain states cause the front wheels are wider then the chassis and body of the vehicle, depends if they want to classify it as a motorcycle or automobile, and some states still vary.
    Agree with above, that is how my Chrysler lights work, On my Rt I am legal with the two Glenda fog lights mounted sort of on the A frame, but when I turn on the high beams I have two PIAA spot lights, the two oem headlights and the two Glendas and I am illegal, but I have not been stopped and probably will not be because I am consistent in dimming my high beams and it seems the LEOs mostly ignore lights and loud pipes on bikes. Were that no so, 90% of the Harleys would be impounded.
    On my 1800 Gold Wing with a Hannigan sidecar I had the following when I turned on the hihg beams: two oem low beams, two oem high beams, two PIAA driviing lights on the forks, two Glenda fog lights and two PIAA driving lights [and the high beams were 85 watt rallye bulbs] for a total of 10 forward facing headlights, I was careful and hardly used the high beams if any traffic was around, dimmed early when I did use them, but out on the open road I really lit up the countryside and was never stopped. I do live in southern Illinois deer country and drive a lot at night and I have hit two deer on the bike both during noon and 2PM.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

I have added no lights to mine.
    He looked at the 2 marker lights in the fender, lowbeam headlights, fog lights, and then on mine there are 2 little LED lights above and outside of the headlights.
    He told me that I could change the marker lights on the fender to yellow.
    I think I am legal though because the marker lights on the fenders and the little LEDave lights put out less than the 300 candle power

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have we considered the possibility, that this LEO might have just wanted an excuse to get a closer look at the bike?