I was on a ride the other night when I had to stop for two local Sheriffs doing their traffic directing duty. While I am waiting for them to motion me through, one of them walked toward me. I expected the normal "whats that" or "cool machine, after all a Spyder does attract attention.
Instead I was informed that "according to Michigan law" my factory Spyder RTL has to many lights facing forwards and is illegal in the state of MI. I was told that only 4 white lights could face the front. My Spyder has 2 headlights, 2 fog lights, 2 little LED lights, and 2 white lights on the front fender making it 8 so I was not compliant with the law.

I told him, "sorry" and turned off the fog lights, he said I still was not compliant because I still had 6 forward facing white lights. I told him it was all stock and there was nothing I could do about it, he just laughed, said he was just messing with me and motioned me through.

It made me wonder about what he was saying and here is what I found. I skipped the parts that didn't pertain.

State Law:

257.685 Head lamps; number; modulator; height; auxiliary, spot, or other lamp; exemption.
Sec. 685.
(2) A motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps that comply with this chapter.
(4) Every head lamp upon a motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.

(5) When a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this section is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front of the motor vehicle projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of those lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at a time when upon a highway.

There is a law that I had never heard of.
Now I am wondering if the LED lights on the fender and above the headlights put out more than 300 candlepower.
Does anyone have any information on those? I cant find it anywhere.