Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Leak 2012 Limited Tour Spyder

I have a 2012 Limited Tour Spyder, and I keep smelling fuel but can not figure out where it is coming from, it is not leaking out on the ground anywhere that I have been able to notice. It smells as if it may be coming from the right hand side...I ride aggressive, and I am only getting about 100-125 miles per tank of premium fuel...

I started riding on some dusty roads, so as to where I may could track the fuel stain...no luck so far

Any suggestions on where to start looking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nudels2u75 View Post
    I have a 2012 Limited Tour Spyder, and I keep smelling fuel but can not figure out where it is coming from, it is not leaking out on the ground anywhere that I have been able to notice. It smells as if it may be coming from the right hand side...I ride aggressive, and I am only getting about 100-125 miles per tank of premium fuel...

I started riding on some dusty roads, so as to where I may could track the fuel stain...no luck so far

I had 2 fuel leaks 1 at the fuel filter and 1 at the top of the fuel pump. The fuel filter is on the right side.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EVAP CANISTER --- MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by Nudels2u75 View Post

The item above may be clogged ( not un-common occurrence ) and this could cause excess vapors......Also with the V-Twin the GAS has a nasty habit of BOILING........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The item above may be clogged ( not un-common occurrence ) and this could cause excess vapors......Also with the V-Twin the GAS has a nasty habit of BOILING........Mike
    You may just be catching a whiff of gasoline vapors escaping from the system...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Insure your gas cap is on correctly....I smelled gas and somehow I did not have the cap on correctly and it was not fully seated!! Wow, I've rode Spyders at that time for about 32,000 miles and that was a first! Check the gas cap first, then the other suggestions listed. Good luck and be safe!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Sorta sure there was a fuel cap service bulletin about the gas cap, something about it having a red(ish)-orange sealing ring underneath. Ours had the updated cap already installed.

Spyder Garage

Default I already have the new re-called gas cap

The smell appears to be coming from the right side, When I get off of it I smell it and then again when I get ready to ride, at first I thought I may have just overfilled, but now after several more fillups within the past 2 weeks....It is not going away, that is why I figured I should start doing a little research before it catches fire....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at the fuel filter and have the fuel cap checked to see if has been changed. Our 2012 is much better ( heat wise ) since we got the 2013 recall scoops installed. 120 miles is about average for a tank of fuel. After the scoops and more cool air getting to the engine I am in the 140 mile range.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-11-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default gas cap has already been replaced on a re-call early on

Did not know anything about some scoops, what do they look like and what are they for and where do they mount....never heard of them....I only have 22,000 miles on the bike ....I only ride it mostly in the winter, I have 6 other street bikes for good weather...I ride all year...Currently up here by Chicago

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

if you have the correct cap then you would have to check the right side where all the fuel related stuff is. Evap cannister, fuel filter etc. If you have a small leak on top of the tank it may not ever get to the ground or off the tank....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-11-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I also have strong fuel smell from my STS. Would a 2013 model have the fuel cap problem?? I initially thought this was only after filling the tank, but I have noticed it several other times.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2013 ST-S...
    These bikes often had completely different problems, with the same root cause as the 2013 RTs...
    Excessive underbody heat.
    Did you have the 2014 body panels (with the hood scoops) installed?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default are those body panels a re-call item

I am going to have to check on them as that would get rid of a lot of extra heat...

Spyder Garage

Bob, yes I have the replacement side panels. Someone mentioned the gas boiling, could that be the problem?? I understand the "cat bypass" is a way to stop the gas boiling, true??
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5