Spyder Garage

Default Senator Bob Dole

Back in 2006 I had the Honor of being Senator Bob Doles Security Chief for a day while he was in Little Rock Ark. for a book signing event, He is a very gracious man.

I also have a personalized and signed copy of his book, "One Soldiers Story".

Cruzr Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 11-10-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

He certainly seemed uncomfortable as a presidential candidate, I saw him on The Tonight Show after the election and thought WOW! why wasn't he that glib during the campaign? He would have made a great president.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Bob Dole was my Governor here in Kansas when I was a kid.
    He has sure had some physical set-backs here in his advancing years,
    but a great American in any case. AND probably as close to an "honest politician" as you would find.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never hear he was a governor, but he was a US senator from Kansas for a long time.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Great picture....

must have been a fun time...well looking back on the event now...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

As Co Chairman of our local Honor Flight Chapter. Sen Dole still meets greets all of the Veterans at the WWII memorial. He is a great person.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

He is also a "HERO" in the true sense of the word.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look up the phrase, "Honest and Honorable Man"; His picture would be all that is needed to define it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I never hear he was a governor, but he was a US senator from Kansas for a long time.
    Yep, he was the "governator" of KS in the 60's. You have to be old as dirt, like me, to remember.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Look it up, I don't beleive he was ever Govenor of Kansas

Dole ran for office for the first time in 1950 and was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives, serving a two-year term.
    Also in 1952, Dole became the County Attorney of Russell County, serving in that position for eight years. In 1960, Dole was elected to the United States House of Representatives from Kansas' 6th Congressional District, located in central Kansas. In 1962, his district was merged with the 3rd District in western Kansas to form the 1st Congressional District, a huge 60-county district that soon became known as the "Big First." Dole was re-elected that year and twice thereafter without serious difficulty.
    U.S. Senate

In 1968, Dole defeated Kansas Governor William H. Avery for the Republican nomination for the United States Senate to succeed retiring Senator Frank Carlson, subsequently being elected. Dole was re-elected in 1974, 1980, 1986, and 1992, before resigning on June 12, 1996, to focus on his Presidential campaign. Dole faced only one truly enthusiastic and well-financed challenger, Congressman Bill Roy in 1974. Much of Roy's popularity was in response to the fallout from Watergate. Dole would win re-election in 1974 by only a few thousand votes, having in the end graphically painted Roy as pro-abortion. While in the Senate, Dole served as chairman of the Republican National Committee from 1971 until 1973, the ranking Republican on the Agriculture Committee from 1975 to 1978, and the ranking Republican on the Finance Committee from 1979 to 1980.
    When the Republicans took control of the Senate after the 1980 elections, Dole became chairman of the Finance Committee in 1981, serving until 1985. From 1985, when Howard Baker of Tennessee retired, until his resignation from the Senate, Dole was the leader of the Senate Republicans, serving as Majority Leader from 1985 until 1987 and again from 1995 to 1996. Dole served as Minority Leader from 1987 to 1995. Following the advice of conservative William Kristol, Dole flatly rejected the health care plan of Bill Clinton, remarking, "There is no crisis in health care."

Dole had a moderate voting record and was widely considered to be one of the few Kansas Republicans who could bridge the gap between the moderate and conservative wings of the Kansas Republican Party. As a Congressman in the early 1960s, Dole supported the major civil rights bills, which appealed to moderates. When Johnson proposed the Great Society in 1964–65, Dole voted against some War on Poverty measures like public-housing subsidies and Medicare, thus appealing to conservatives. Dole's first speech in the Senate in 1969 was a plea for federal aid for the handicapped. Later, as a member of the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs, Dole joined liberal Senator George McGovern to lower eligibility requirements for federal food stamps, a liberal goal that was supported by Kansas farmers.
    Dole's hawkishness on the Vietnam War and on crime issues kept him in good standing with the right wing. When they heard Nixon might make Dole chairman of the Republican National Committee, half the Republican Senators protested, especially moderates who feared Dole would direct party assets to conservatives. They were wrong, as Dole in fact offered something to all Republican factions.[16]

Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Yep, he was the "governator" of KS in the 60's. You have to be old as dirt, like me, to remember.

You may be thinking of Gov Docking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tate_of_Kansas

And I'm old enough to remember the 60s (and I was there!).
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

That is a great memory Joe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red