Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Which is correct????

Which of these spellings do you think is proper and correct and why.

A - Veterans Day

B - Veteran's Day

C - Veterans' Day

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

B Because Veteran's Day belongs to the Veterans no?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am thinking that C is correct, as the day is for all veterans. The s' makes it plural possessive, I think, I suck at English.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

No winners yet ..................... maybe that will help

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

The correct answer is

"A" because it does not belong to them, it celebrates them. (but i liked everyone's answer)

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Amazing..!!

we got it right in three tries... is that a record...seeing as they don't teach that stuff anymore...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    we got it right in three tries... is that a record...seeing as they don't teach that stuff anymore...

Had i not known the answer, i probably would have chosen "B", but luckily i knew the answer.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe, This is a GREAT question to ask!
    (I probably would have gotten it wrong... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.kentlaw.edu/academics/lrw...ossessives.htm

now can we fix break and brake? Please?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    http://www.kentlaw.edu/academics/lrw...ossessives.htm

now can we fix break and brake? Please?
    Sorry, that will never happen on this forum.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

as long as we appreciate them it the spelling doesn't matter but i was thinking A

Spyder Garage

Is it 'I have a break in my brake' or 'I have a brake in my break'?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    Is it 'I have a break in my brake' or 'I have a brake in my break'?

Spyder Garage

this is what I found when I went looking. I work @ the VA so I knew the correct answer before I did the search. This is rather long but complete!

Tue Nov. 10, 2015 | Subscribe | Order Our Book
    Tip Archive

Back to Tip ListHappy "Veterans' Day," "Veteran's Day," or "Veterans Day"?

Possessives vs. Attributive Nouns

Which rendering is correct in each of the following groups?

1. Veterans' Day, Veteran's Day, Veterans Day
    2. Fathers' Day, Father's Day, Fathers Day
    3. English Majors' Society, English Major's Society, English Majors Society
    4. Bankers' School, Banker's School, Bankers School
    5. International Executives' Association, International Executive's Association, International Executives Association

To ask which rendering is "correct" in these groups is actually to pose a trick question: if these were not proper names, all of these choices could be grammatically correct depending on the context.
    Let's begin by examining how these phrases differ from one another:

• The first choice in each group is a plural noun in the possessive case (Fathers', Veterans', Majors', Bankers' and Executives').
    • The second choice in each group is a singular noun in the possessive case (Father's, Veteran's, Major's, Banker's, and Executive's).
    • The third choice in each group uses a plural noun that is not in the possessive case. We refer to it as an attributive; that is, it functions as a modifier and does not need to be possessive.

To make the best choices in the five groups above, we must consider whether the possessive or the attributive is more appropriate and, if the possessive case is appropriate, whether the possessives ought to be singular or plural.
    Unfortunately, one rule does not govern in all instances when it comes to deciding when to treat a noun as merely attributive and when to make it possessive. The Chicago Manual of Style (15th ed., University of Chicago Press) admits that "the line between a possessive or genitive form and a noun used attributively-as an adjective-is sometimes fuzzy, especially in the plural." This style manual suggests that writers omit the apostrophe "in proper names (often corporate names) or where there is clearly no possessive meaning" (p. 284):

• Publishers Weekly
    • Diners Club
    • Department of Veterans Affairs

In deciding whether to use an apostrophe in such constructions, we cannot always depend on logic to lead us to the best choice. For example, referring to the second Sunday in May as "Mothers' Day" might seem logical if we think of it as a day to honor all mothers and not simply one mother. But if we look up the phrase inMerriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary(11th ed.), we find the noun "mother" rendered as a singular possessive-"Mother's Day"-perhaps to acknowledge the fact that each person honors his or her own mother. Similarly, Webster's gives us "Father's Day," not "Fathers' Day."
    On the other hand, Webster's tells us that in the United States, November 11 is known as "Veterans Day"-plural but not possessive. We might have assumed that we would render the name of a holiday honoring veterans in the same way we render the name of a holiday honoring fathers or mothers. We could also have logically concluded that since we are honoring all veterans, we would use the plural possessive: "Veterans' Day." Instead, we must determine the appropriate form of many widely used names not by following a consistent principle but by verifying the conventional usage. In all such situations, we should rely on a reputable style manual or dictionary.
    This issue becomes even more complicated when we must render the titles or names of institutions, associations, societies, and the like (as in groups 3, 4, and 5 above) that are not likely found in any style manual or dictionary. Again, we cannot rely on logic alone to determine whether the possessive case is appropriate. In our third example above, for instance, we could argue that the society belongs to a group of English majors (English Majors' Society), or we could say, simply, that it is an organization for them (English Majors Society).
    In the absence of a ruling by a reputable style manual or dictionary, then, we have to determine how the organization itself handles its name in official publications. If an organization does not use the apostrophe in its name, then neither should we-even if we could argue logically that possession is indicated.
    We would not, therefore, use an apostrophe in "South Carolina Bankers School," "Federal Judges Association," "Texas Classroom Teachers Association," or "International Executives Association" because, according to their own Web sites, the organizations themselves do not do so.
    Likewise, even though the names "Randolph-Macon Woman's College" and "The Navy Enlisted Man's Club" may at first seem counterintuitive (since neither of these institutions belongs to or serves only one woman or one man), we must nevertheless render the names exactly as the institutions do. We can find this information on an organization's Web site or in its official documents.
    When creating a new organization, the founders must decide how to handle the title. Most organizations omit the apostrophe and treat the noun as attributive rather than possessive, suggesting that the organization or conference does not belong to the group but instead exists to serve its members.
    However, plural nouns that do not end in s-such as children, women, and men-are almost always treated as possessives, no matter what the logic would dictate. We could argue, for example, that the Bakersville Children's Home does not belong to the children but rather is for them. But no one would consider writing "Bakersville Children Home." Likewise, the London Men's Convention may more logically be for the men of London than belong to them, but "London Men Convention" would sound odd to most ears.
    Thus, when we are confused about whether a noun in a title or proper name is attributive or possessive, we can follow these steps:

1. See if the title or name appears in a reputable style manual or dictionary (as do "Father's Day" and "Veterans Day," for example).
    2. If the title or name does not appear in the dictionary, check to see how the group or organization itself is rendering it.
    3. If the title or name in question is not well-enough established for a precedent to have been set in regard to its rendering, then make a decision based on logic (is possession clearly indicated?) and sound (would the phrase sound odd if the noun were not in the possessive case?).

©2004 Get It Write, rev. 2008 Back to List
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But Joe was right...

...wasn't he?

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not a day off for me!

I'm a veteran & I'm still waiting to get the day off like the state and federal workers do. I guess I'll have to wait until I retire then everyday is a holiday!!
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But Joe was right...

...wasn't he?

Was there any doubt??????????????????

Cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

But Joe was right...

...wasn't he?
    Yes, answer A was correct
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was always rooting for you, Joe!

Spyder Garage

I was always rooting for you, Joe!
    I knew my calendar couldn't be wrong.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    I'm a veteran & I'm still waiting to get the day off like the state and federal workers do. I guess I'll have to wait until I retire then everyday is a holiday!!
    Reminds me of the time after I went to work for Uncle. I got together for morning coffee on President's Day with my previous coworkers, who worked for a small company, before they took off on their daily sales and repair calls. They were giving me a hard time about all the Government holidays I was getting. I told them, "Yeah, you're right. I get all the good holidays like President's Day, Columbus Day, MLK Day. You guys get all the bad holidays like day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve!" We all got the same number of holidays, just not the same ones!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another bit of trivia, well maybe not so trivial, about Veterans Day. It was one of the holidays that was changed to a Monday under the Monday Holiday bill back in 1968 when it, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, and Columbus Day were all moved to Mondays. The national outcry was so great Congress reversed itself and reestablished Veterans Day as Nov 11 in 1975, effective in 1978. It's the only Monday holiday to have been moved back to its original day of celebration.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This forum is not the best place to ask for correct spelling or grammar. Y'all know who you are, just saying.

As a USAF veteran with sons that have been in the service and one that is still in the NAVY, I cringe when I hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day". Just doesn't sit right with me. Takes away the whole meaning of what the day is supposed to be for.

Registered Users spydermanstever's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Which of these spellings do you think is proper and correct and why.

A - Veterans Day

B - Veteran's Day

C - Veterans' Day

Cruzr Joe
    Gramatically speaking, "A" or "C". "B" and "C" show possession such that "C" shows plural possession, ie. belongs to all veterans. "B" shows individual possession, ie. belongs to one veteran. It makes a difference where you put the apostrophe if you are going to use one. "A" references a name and can be used also.
    Last edited by spydermanstever; 11-11-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    SpydermanStever
    2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

Garmin Montana 650 GPS
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    FOBO Tpm's
    Lamonster Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder
    Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
    Custom Dynamics LED lighting - high mount brake light and all reflectors changed to LED
    WOLO Air Horn
    BRP CB, Satellite Radio, Headset
    BRP RT-622 Trailer