Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder F3 S Fully equipped with mods for Rigid Wheelchair Rider

Here are some pictures of my F3 equipped for my wheelchair. It is awesome and a simple set up. My welder buddy will build them for whoever needs help but they are simple enough for you to get done too.
    I added the ISCI Hand Brake also. What a set up, it is awesome and easy to install.
    The bike is now ready for me to ride. I am a T10-11 Para I have been in the wheelchair since I was 19 and this is my first Road Bike. I have had off road toys since I was 5.
    Please contact me if you have any questions or needs getting your bike wheelchair ready. I have learned a lot in the past couple months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Way to go.
    Bob S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Closer picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Well done..!!

where theres a will theres a way and you found it..congrats..!! your good to go wherever catches your fancy...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Been Riding and love it

I have only put on about 100 miles on the F3 now. Many short trips to son's house, store and to just ride without troubles. The ISCI handbrake is awesome, my wheelchiar rack in awesome so please contact me at Spcled1@aol.com if you have any questions about getting an F3 set up for your wheelchair. LOVIN IT

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

How long does it take you to load and unload your chair and then put the wheels on? Do you do it by yourself or do you require assistance?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That is a clean setup. I am not quite as busted up as you are but am equally happy that there is something this awesome that gets us out in the wind.

Spyder Garage

awesome Eddy. You will have to give us an explanation of how you load and unload your chair and yourself. And what a blessing to have someone like your welder friend in your life.
    Welcome to the group.I hope we get to see lots of pictures of you and your rides.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Really awesome!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WoW

These things are the best. I have not been able to ride all that much yet due to the weather getting cooler once I got the Spyder ready for me to ride. But, the 200 miles I have put on it were awesome. I have wanted to be out in the wind on a bike "Forever" but felt the wheelchair will hold me back. This machine was made for mobility impaired people.. I am not sure why Can Am does not put a hand brake on them stock from the factory but the ISCI handbrake works great.
    Just rode for 2 hours this afternoon, need to get the bugs out of my teeth. Nothing but smiles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    How long does it take you to load and unload your chair and then put the wheels on? Do you do it by yourself or do you require assistance?
    I would say from the time I pull up to my bike, get on and load my chair, it takes about 3-4 minutes. I really do not think it takes me all that much longer to load than when I get into my vehicle. I do have to strap my legs and strap the chair so it does not bounce off but it is all pretty quick. I do it all myself, no assistance required. Very similar to getting into my vehicle. I get on, put chair up on footrests to take wheels off, slide them into the holders on the right side, fold back of chair down and put the frame into the holder on the left. Then one strap around the frame to hold it tight in the holder so it does not move while riding. All very simple for me to do myself. So far, all my rides have been by myself. I am looking forward to company when the warm weather comes back.
    Last edited by Eddy Hutchens; 12-10-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

[thanks for the post eddy, proves you don't have to stay home on the porch.QUOTE=Eddy Hutchens;1058283]Here are some pictures of my F3 equipped for my wheelchair. It is awesome and a simple set up. My welder buddy will build them for whoever needs help but they are simple enough for you to get done too.
    I added the ISCI Hand Brake also. What a set up, it is awesome and easy to install.
    The bike is now ready for me to ride. I am a T10-11 Para I have been in the wheelchair since I was 19 and this is my first Road Bike. I have had off road toys since I was 5.
    Please contact me if you have any questions or needs getting your bike wheelchair ready. I have learned a lot in the past couple months.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Sweet setup!

Nicely done Eddy!
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and info!
    I am in the Springs and ride up 83 through Franktown often to get the Spyder out for a couple of hours.
    Let me know if you are interested in sync'ing up sometime and riding.
    Thanks again and well done!
    Thump
    Thump

Spyder Garage

Great job Now help keep your buddy busy & get him on the vendors page& set up for spyderfest Contact Road Warrior project http://www.roadwarrior.org

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Good for you!

Keep on keepin' on.
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Wouldn't it be easier to use a folder for when you ride? I use a folder anyway so I plan to just fold it, and hang it, then strap it and be gone. What did you do for floor board mods to help keep your feet on them? I'm also concerned about a seat that can accommodate a tender butt without too much sweating and pressure leading to ulcers. Thoughts?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RS wheelchair hanger with Givi pannier rack

I am about to buy a F3 with Givi panniers and I use the left hand side for hanging the wheelchair. I did this on the RS spyder and you can see how easy it is to take the WC off and on. This is the clip that I made up. At the back it is held on by a U clip that goes into your push rails and I just used a clamp using bolts and nuts and the Givi frame and the front of the chair sits onto the rear footpegs then I use a thick rubber strap to go over the chair, where you sit on when the chair is open. I do use a folding chair. If you have any question email me on 97landy@gmail.com and my name is Greg. I have done 55000k and it has only come off twice and that is with a pillion. The wheels hit the ground and came off. I have since put a better shock obsorber on the back and have had no problems. Much easier on your shoulders and the chair faces towards you and not reversed.
    Last edited by landrover97; 01-09-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Does not leave FB address

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rigid over Folder

I have just never used a folding wheelchair in the 33 years I have been in a chair. I am fairly active and am hard on wheelchairs when I jump curbs or bounce down stairs. I just feel a rigid chair is more stable. My shoulders are giving out on me from playing too much wheelchair basketball so I would rather lift parts of the chair instead of the whole chair at once, I find it so much easier that way. This also distributes the weight to both sides.
    I throw one leg over the seat and slide on. I then tip the chair up on its nose and take it apart. Wheels are set on the ground on right side while I put the frame in it's holder on the left side. I then slide the wheels into their holders on the right. A strap holds the wheels so they do not spin going down the road. A strap over the frame axle holds it into the holder so it cannot bounce out. This is a very simple set up for a rigid chair. I did not want to lift an entire chair each time plus my rigid frame holds my cushion in place while I ride.
    Anytime you sit in one position for long periods of time you have a chance of skin issues. I do lifts now and then while stopped for blood flow. The seat on the F3 seems very soft so I am not too worried about that.
    I put the Can Am floorboards on mine and the isci handbrake worked great with them.
    After further review, it is more like 5 minutes to get on and load chair, helmet, gloves etc.
    LOVE this bike.
    My personal email is Spcled1@aol.com if anyone would like to see more pictures or ask other questions. I just do not check the board often and I may miss some comments. Is there a way for me to get an email message saying there are reply's?
    Last edited by Eddy Hutchens; 02-20-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just wondering if you got the Baja Ron sintered brake pads? I put them on my F3 and found that after braking them in they work fantastic with the ISCI hand brake. The stock pads worked ok but I get much better braking with the Baja Ron pads.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    Just wondering if you got the Baja Ron sintered brake pads? I put them on my F3 and found that after braking them in they work fantastic with the ISCI hand brake. The stock pads worked ok but I get much better braking with the Baja Ron pads.
    If your asking me, no I have not. I find the stock pads and isci handbrake work great together.. Maybe I should look into them though, one can never have enough braking.

Spyder Garage

Where can I get one like this?