Spyder Garage

Default Ground Clearance

I am new to Spyders and have just bought a 2015 RT limted SE6. Is there a way to get better ground clearance. I am 6'5" and weigh 350 ,my wife in small and weighs a little over 100. We ride two up and the ground clearance bothers me. The area of Texas I live in is Blackland and the highway has alot of dips and humps.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up WELCOME!!

Good Morning rw,
    And welcome to the madness.

I might suggest spring stiffeners---- Two different types for sale on this sight. also a BajaRon anti-sway bar. Enjoy your new ryde.

Hitting bumps in the road causes::::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

Glad you jumped into the fray....as mentioned stiffeners if you have no adjustments. I have shock relocators from pitt bull and fox adjustable shocks and now have a 71/2" front clearance on my RS. You can try step by step...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A set of shock pre-load adjusters, and a Bumpskid ought to set you up about right...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are other alternatives out there. But this is what I offer. Fully adjustable (threaded) units that install on the existing OEM shocks. They work great! These will keep the front of your Spyder at the correct height loaded or unloaded. They also reduce sway, lean and dive in corners and while braking.

They come in Red, Silver and Black (not pictured)

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have never regretted installing a Spyderpops Bumpskid. Even if you do increase the ground clearance, you'll still encounter the occasional high spot.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

I am as tall and heavy as you. There are a couple things you can do as mentioned by others here
    to gain a little clearance. That's all good !
    And now, the "reality". You are going to grind a couple things, and scrape over this-and-that. If you care what the
    underside of your spyder looks like, then certainly get a bump skid. Your best defense is PRACTICE, and technique.
    Drive enough cemetery road and you will learn to get up out of the "2 tracks", and not straddle any obstacles in the roadway.
    Now, since you opened this door.....Texas. The only state in the union where the crummier the road, the higher the speed limit is the rule. Go figure. Everything you do encounter is going to be worse at "full tilt". You'll get through it...........the only question is how many bits you leave behind.
    You will LOVE your RT, and welcome home.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default First Ride

Rain finally stopped and we had a beautiful day today so after church took the Spyder out for about a hundred mile loop with wife. Topped a hill and road kill in middle of lane with on coming car. Skid plate under nose rode over it with no problems but I will be investing in Spyderpops bumpskid.. Down side I lost the thingy that holds the Key. Thought it was securely in my pocket after putting key in ignition. Got home and no joy. Does anyone know where I can get replacement? Ride was smooth a little diving in curves. Will take some training time and probably will need the heavier shocks and sway bar. Will go one piece at a time. The Highway pegs from Lamonster worked well just need a tall seat. Thanks for the welcome and information. rwc
    Last edited by rwc; 11-08-2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our Spring Stiffeners will help that. Less than $100 total. Install in 5 minutes and no moving parts to break. Lifetime warranty.

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!products/cdk6

PM in you need more info.

And I use the products I make and sell so I know they work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are other alternatives out there. But this is what I offer. Fully adjustable (threaded) units that install on the existing OEM shocks. They work great! These will keep the front of your Spyder at the correct height loaded or unloaded. They also reduce sway, lean and dive in corners and while braking.

I no longer scrape at the end of my driveway with my BajaRon Adjusters. Mine are red which is clearly the best color. We have installed two sets and the install isn't too difficult. It helps to have a second set of hands - might be a little difficult to do on your own. Another quality product from BajaRon.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Ron are these only for the RT????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Ron are these only for the RT????
    I also have a set for the RS/ST models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if there some adjustable shock ( air or hydraulic) trigger with a flick of a switch available out there.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    I wonder if there some adjustable shock ( air or hydraulic) trigger with a flick of a switch available out there.
    SURE!

Spyder Garage

Default From my 7-29-15 post - gain ground clearance

I really like the BajaRon shock adjusters. I've adjusted mine around 2 turns at this time from bottom. It's a choice of clearance and ride quality as you stiffen up the shocks. I tried 3 turns which got me about an inch more clearance, but back it down a touch to 2 turns and find that works for me. I've rode about 6,500 miles with the shock spring adjusters on and really like them. Our 2014 RT Limited has around 26,500 miles now and have it in winter hibernation!

Good luck with your Spyder - also advise a bumpskid if you don't already have it. I don't bottom out much now with the shock adjusters - always take sharp curbs at an angle if possible to prevent bottoming out. Once in awhile, I do hit the bumpskid going out of some gas stations that I'm not familiar with when travelling.

Enjoy your Spyder - be safe!

7-29-15 post:
    Just installed - front shock adjusters
    The install was very easy and Ron's directions were "great" as normal. I also got a few hints from SpyderCruiser - very helpful - thanks!

I have not rode the bike with them installed other than to set them in and have an initial setting. Now the fun begins to tune them in....

I think they are very well made and install was pretty easy. Biggest issue is the top shock bolts...tough area to reassemble. I did the right side really quickly, but the left side was an issue for me. So......I used Ron's directions about the nut to the backside and it worked well...saved me a lot of work!

I have a pic of the tools used - 15mm....I took SpyderCruiser's advice on the breaker bar with socket - worked great! I used a ratchet box end wrench as well. If you have the tools, makes the job go so much easier!!

BTW - Ron's coil spring compressors are well worth it - easy to use - worked well! HINT: I used vice grips to help stabilize the spring compressor when tightening - no problem - worked great and is a good way to keep your hands away from the coil!!

We have 20,000+ miles on our 2014 RT Limited - awesome bike - now onto the next 20,000!

Here's a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 11-08-2015 at 11:51 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cuznjohn ended up getting heavier springs for the front of his 2014 RT...
    Did he still have the oem shocks; or had he switched to Elkas?

Spyder Garage

Question: Is the caster or camber affected by these mod's that 'raise' the front end??? Pitt Bull does a Laser alignment before delivery and it would be a shame if that was made null and void.

I had never thought about ground clearance issues as I haven't bought my Spyder yet but being 6ft-5in tall and 360+++++ (?) pounds of solid corn fed table muscle, I can see trouble ahead

On my motorcycles one can just steer around a hump of roadkill that is so prevalent here in the country where I live but low ground clearance means that a lot of extra caution is required in my area.

Have you ever hit a Skunk???? OMG

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question!
    I only increased the pre-load on mine a little bit, and it raised the front-end of the bike up by a quarter of an inch. That didn't affect the alignment at all; I suspect that if you really cranked it up, you could affect it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post
    Question: Is the caster or camber affected by these mod's that 'raise' the front end??? Pitt Bull does a Laser alignment before delivery and it would be a shame if that was made null and void.

I had never thought about ground clearance issues as I haven't bought my Spyder yet but being 6ft-5in tall and 360+++++ (?) pounds of solid corn fed table muscle, I can see trouble ahead

On my motorcycles one can just steer around a hump of roadkill that is so prevalent here in the country where I live but low ground clearance means that a lot of extra caution is required in my area.

Have you ever hit a Skunk???? OMG

Sam
    The adjusters did not alter my alignment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post

Sam
    A good question. And the answer is, not necessarily.

The idea of adjustable shock spring pre-load is to MAINTAIN proper front end height (ground clearance). Within reason, raising or lowering the front end will not greatly affect alignment. Obviously, when you load the Spyder with gear and riders, you can lose an appreciable amount of ground clearance. This changes the suspension geometry and the alignment.

Before installing spring adjusters I recommend taking a height measurement at the front of your Spyder, unloaded and with 1 rider in the driver's seat. This is likely the way that your Spyder was aligned. Then, when you load your Spyder and it loses ride height, you can easily adjust the Pre-Load on the front shocks to regain what you lost. Not only will you recover precious ground clearance. But you will return the front geometry to the same position where your alignment was set. Your Spyder will not only handle better and avoid ground strikes that might otherwise occur. It will decrease lean and dive, especially when braking.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    I am new to Spyders and have just bought a 2015 RT limted SE6. Is there a way to get better ground clearance. I am 6'5" and weigh 350...
    The BajaRon shock adjusters solved this very problem for me. Plus, they smoothed out the ride considerably.

Also... For someone of our build, I would also strongly recommend the BajaRon beefier anti-sway bar. It'll also offer a considerable handling improvement in the turns.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Do you know if Elka Stage 2 will raise the bike up?

I am about to consider upgrading from my 2012 RTS SE5 to a 2015 RTS SE6.

I am considering installing Elka Stage 2 shocks which my dealer recommends as things can be dialed in more preciously as he says.

Regardless will adding these do the same or do you all still suggest Spring adjusters?

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

The Elka Stage 2's already come with spring tensioners. BajaRon offers that option at a much lower cost for our OEM shocks.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I am about to consider upgrading from my 2012 RTS SE5 to a 2015 RTS SE6.

I am considering installing Elka Stage 2 shocks which my dealer recommends as things can be dialed in more preciously as he says.

Regardless will adding these do the same or do you all still suggest Spring adjusters?

The Elkas also require a rebuild each year to maintain their warranty.