Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender Time

I have a 2013 STL that I purchased used last summer. Now that winter is approaching, I want to hook up a battery tender, but I need some good advice. I see that there are battery terminals inside the frunk, under a removable panel on the left (driver's) side. The positive (red) terminal has a slide-off plastic cap, and the negative (black) terminal is exposed. It looks like both of these terminals have interior threads, but I haven't checked the size.

I want to use a tender, but I don't like using the typical clips that come with chargers and tenders. Has anybody rigged up an adapter cable that "permanently" connects to the Sypder terminals? It wouldn't be too much trouble to change the tender clips to some type of quick connector so the tender can be easily connected and disconnected.

If anyone has done something like this, I would appreciate some advice and pictures.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

You should've received a quick disconnect harness when you purchased your Battery Tender. If you didn't get one, you can purchase one just about any auto parts store.

Here's one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...Y4XKDY135PYHTY

Here's a picture of mine. I ran the harness through the zippered opening of the liner.

Pam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 11-07-2015 at 12:52 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default Battery connection

I used those same terminals on my 2013 RTL. But my battery tender came with both squeeze clips and ring terminals and a quick disconnect. So I hooked up the ring terminals to the posts and about a foot of wire and the quick disconnect hangs in the frunk when not on use. Cut off the clips and replace them with ring terminals and put a quick disconnect in the line. Solder all the new connections.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    I have a 2013 STL that I purchased used last summer. Now that winter is approaching, I want to hook up a battery tender, but I need some good advice. I see that there are battery terminals inside the frunk, under a removable panel on the left (driver's) side. The positive (red) terminal has a slide-off plastic cap, and the negative (black) terminal is exposed. It looks like both of these terminals have interior threads, but I haven't checked the size.
    Those are studs with long nuts on them. A perfect place to connect to with ring terminals with 6 mm hole.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Does your 2013 STL have a 12V outlet in your frunk? That's where I plug mine into on my 2014 STL.

2014 Spyder ST Limited - Black Currant

"Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it"

Spyder Garage

This is how installed mine. The pigtail came with the battery tender. Not in the trunk. That just adds another step to removing the trunk when needed and another hole for water to get in. This is my prefered spot see pic. Always easy to get to, no matter how full the trunk is.

Installed an overhead cord reel in my garage. No cords on the floor to trip over.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This is how installed mine. The pigtail came with the battery tender. Not in the trunk. That just adds another step to removing the trunk when needed and another hole for water to get in. This is my prefered spot see pic. Always easy to get to, no matter how full the trunk is.

Installed an overhead cord reel in my garage. No cords on the floor to trip over.

Mine was installed by the dealer before purchase. They install them on all of there spyders before customer pick up and that is exactly were it was installed on mine.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default HOPE THIS HELPS

HERE'S WHAT I'VE DONE TO SUPPORT MY 'HARDLY EVER USED' BATTERY TENDER....
    LONG VIEW...
    SHORT VIEW...
    FRUNK VIEW...
    these pix are of my F3... i placed a Cross-Member on the windshield brackets (pix 1 & 2), and mounted my radar detector, the 12V adapter, and garage door opener... the 12V adapter cigar port is 'live' all the time, while the USB's work off of a switch... in the frunk, a similar - but different 12V adapter with 2 cigar ports, both live, and 2 USB ports, both alive at all times... even tho i seldom use the battery tender, it's there if i need it.... i wired both these 12V adapters directly to the battery.... both very easy to do....
    hope this helps...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Where is your Battery Tender?

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Where is your Battery Tender?

David
    A Battery Tender is a Brand, made by Beltran, not a generic product. It is not a battery charger, but a battery maintainer (conditioner).

David

Spyder Garage

I use the Battery Tender Plus...It is a charger as well as a maintainer. you can get it a Walmart, but go to their internet link and if it is cheaper on the internet go to customer service and they should honor the internet price.

PN 021-0128

Spyder Garage

Default Tender/Maintainer/Float Charger

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

When I wrote the original post, I had just purchased a cheap Cen-Tech maintainer from E-Bay. It came with the standard spring clamps, but no ring terminals. Since then, I bought a Extreme Max 1229.4000 Battery Buddy Intelligent 6V / 12V Battery Charger / Maintainer from Amazon and moved the Cen-Tech to my tractor. The Batter Buddy came with quick disconnect ring terminals that can be used on the Spyder.

I may still ride occasionally in the winter months, but I will always hook up the tender. I like the idea of keeping lead acid batteries fully charged. They don't merely have a "memory" like some suggest; lead acid batteries' worst enemy is low voltage -- it kills them.
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Good for you, enjoy the ride.

David

Spyder Garage

I use Deltran Battery Tender JR. 12V. 750mA Switches Automatically from Charge to Float!! I have used my Deltran Battery Tender JR for 3 years. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

John,
    Besides the battery tender add some Star Tron to your fuel tank to keep the gas fresh.Yes if this weather around here keeps up we will be getting some winter riding in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    John,
    Besides the battery tender add some Star Tron to your fuel tank to keep the gas fresh.Yes if this weather around here keeps up we will be getting some winter riding in.
    Thanks for the good advice. I rode last Sunday, then fueled up and added some stabilizer, then rode for a few more minutes to get it into the gas line, then parked it. It's covered and has the battery tender on it.

Weather is looking good for Thanksgiving Day. I might be out again!
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Mine was installed by the dealer before purchase. They install them on all of there spyders before customer pick up and that is exactly were it was installed on mine.
    Same here, happy with the location.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this thread. I was planning to install one tomorrow on both my Spyder and my wifes Harley. I was not sure how to do it on the Spyder.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    You should've received a quick disconnect harness when you purchased your Battery Tender. If you didn't get one, you can purchase one just about any auto parts store.

Here's one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...Y4XKDY135PYHTY

Here's a picture of mine. I ran the harness through the zippered opening of the liner.

Pam
    that's how i hooked mine up & also for the micro start

Spyder Garage

This is how I did mine but I drilled a hole in the plastic at the corner to pull the wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their replies and thoughts. I was really fishing for a few good ideas, and you came through for me. My STL is now safely tucked away for the winter (although I did ride to church on Christmas eve, rode on Christmas day, and was out again on January 10 ). I installed some kit-supplied quick connectors for a battery tender. All is good!
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Another idea

We hooked the heated vest cables to the terminals near the trunk lid, fed it through to the top centre part near the brake and other switches, put a weatherproof 12v plug (fit nicely between the switches in the centre), then put a matching 12v thing on the connector for the tender. I love it , use it all day for the vest and when I am home can see at a glance whether the tender is connected and hook it up without unlocking anything! Simples..

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=billybovine;1058265]This is how installed mine. The pigtail came with the battery tender. Not in the trunk. That just adds another step to removing the trunk when needed and another hole for water to get in. This is my prefered spot see pic. Always easy to get to, no matter how full the trunk is.

[/QUOTE
    Before I picked my 2014 RTS-SE6 @ the dealership I had the pig tail installed, so I could have my battery tender put on when it was time to have my spyder put in to hibernation. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just unhooked mine from it's Tender... (The lawn tractor deserves a bit of electrical love too! )
    It was "On the juice" for almost a Month. I'll let the tractor take a turn through most of February, and then switch back over for a quick refreshing of the battery just before the start of the Season.
    (Too cheap, and not enough outlets, for multiple tenders...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Y Factor View Post
    Does your 2013 STL have a 12V outlet in your frunk? That's where I plug mine into on my 2014 STL.
    This is the easiest way to do it. You do have to buy the 12 v adapter for the battery tender, and you have to switch a fuse in the RIGHT fuse box. The fuse boxes are labeled in the as frunk Left & Right. Move the fuse in position 6 to position 7. This will make the 12 V outlet in the rear cargo always hot. In other words, the key does not have to be on for it to be hot. Using this method, it sends the battery tender current straight to the battery as long as it is plugged in. Hope this helps, & good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic