Spyder Garage

Default North to Yellowknife

I am beginning to organize a ride from Ohio to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories during July, 2016. The ride will deviate through the Canadian Rockies and then head Northeast(ish) to Great Slave Lake and Yellowknife. I don't think there is much to do in Yellowknife so we will turn around and head back. It is just that Yellowknife is one of those places I always wanted to visit. This trip will also be a good opportunity for my son (who lives in Wales, UK) and I to spend some quality time together. I have already done the Alaskan Highway to Fairbanks, AK so this will be a new adventure for me. I have a 2015 F3-S and my son will be riding a 2001 Harley.

The round trip will be about 8000+ miles so it will probably take the entire month of July to complete.

If anyone is interested, let's start a dialogue here.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

that should be awesome and a great visit for you both. Keep us posted and you need to get a cameraman for the trip..we want pictures...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That will be a great trip! It looks like there's only one road into Yellowknife. Do you know if the route you'll take is mostly paved? How about lodging? Or will you camp?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I am beginning to organize a ride from Ohio to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories during July, 2016. The ride will deviate through the Canadian Rockies and then head Northeast(ish) to Great Slave Lake and Yellowknife. I don't think there is much to do in Yellowknife so we will turn around and head back. It is just that Yellowknife is one of those places I always wanted to visit. This trip will also be a good opportunity for my son (who lives in Wales, UK) and I to spend some quality time together. I have already done the Alaskan Highway to Fairbanks, AK so this will be a new adventure for me. I have a 2015 F3-S and my son will be riding a 2001 Harley.

The round trip will be about 8000+ miles so it will probably take the entire month of July to complete.

If anyone is interested, let's start a dialogue here.
    Many years ago, I traveled to Yellowknife on a fishing trip.
    Wonderful place...nice downtown area with department stores and good shopping.
    You will love it.

Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default The Planned Route

We plan on 300 to 350 miles per day so as not to get sore butts. Mapquest says 3498 miles, one way.
    Trip needs to go through the UP because my son has some business there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bootie, that sounds like fun! We met a rider when we were in the Yukon who was traveling across all the Canadian Provinces he had already done the NW Territory. Can't remember exactly what his experience was, other than he said the roads were rough. I do remember that he had a tire manufacturer that was sending him tires along his route, he was on a BMW adventure bike. He had really nice gear, KLIM.

We are planning on go east across Canada in 2017 to attend the 10th Anniversary Owner's Event but the NW Territory is just a bit too far out of the way. I look forward to reading about your adventure.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Roads deteriorate substantially north of Peace River , watch out for Moose, Bears, and Caribou, as well as big rigs servicing the oil patch. You may want to look into a Spot locator as cell reception is pretty non existent. Oh also frost heaves and chip sealed sections can be somewhat problematic.
    Last edited by SmoovOpRatoR; 11-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yellowknife

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Bootie, that sounds like fun! We met a rider when we were in the Yukon who was traveling across all the Canadian Provinces he had already done the NW Territory. Can't remember exactly what his experience was, other than he said the roads were rough. I do remember that he had a tire manufacturer that was sending him tires along his route, he was on a BMW adventure bike. He had really nice gear, KLIM.

We are planning on go east across Canada in 2017 to attend the 10th Anniversary Owner's Event but the NW Territory is just a bit too far out of the way. I look forward to reading about your adventure.
    Yup Ann. I rode my Harley Sportster to Fairbanks in 2007 and had a few mechanical problems but made the 11,500mi trip without too much trouble. I figure with my 2015 F3 and my Bushtec 622 trailer I should fare somewhat better. Coming back on BC 37 was horrendous because the road for, like, 100 miles was all gravel. Not the small stuff, either but big chunks of rock. It was not much fun on two wheels but I figure the trike is much, much better as far as stability goes.

You should take a month off and July and join us. We could use a few more Spyders.

Spyder Garage

I've got that month off (& all the months either side too!!) but I'm just not sure that I could ride my RT from my home to your departure point in time to join you!! Dammit!! Maybe next time?!

Apparently I'm going to the UK for Christmas with the Grandkids in 2017, might get a chance to stop in North America on the way to or from & would lurve to do something like that trip while I'm there...... I was sorta planning on spending a couple of months on the UK trip going at least one way via 'tramp steamer' & maybe I could take the Spyder along too?!? So much to do, so little time (& less $$)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be AWESOME. There is a lot of history in Yellowknife, as well as ton;s of thing's to see and do. A word of CAUTION tho, DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT , as there are herds of wild bison on the highway and they blend in with the road, you will not see them untill too late, also if you encounter some on the road , let them move along and do not honk or anything like that as they will charge you. Bring bug spray with deet, and mosquito netting, if going to stop for a while or be outside for any time. The bugs are the size of horses and their bites match their size. Ever tried golfing at 3 in the morning ??? This is the place to do it. Are you hotelling or camping ?? If the 23 hour daylight bothers you, don't go . It seriously affects a lot of people. gas is expensive but what the hell, it is a vacation. keep me posted. I would be up for that. driven up there numerous times but never on a bike. The new bridge across the Mackenzie reiver I beleive is a toll, where as before it was an ice road or ferry only. It is owned and maintained by a native band/group , sorry forget the name. Beautifull scenery . Like fishing, this is the place. LEAVE YOUR GUN"S AT HOME.

Spyder Garage

I went up to the Northwest Territory in June this year. The roads were paved in the Yukon all the way up to the Northwest Territory. There it turn to loose deep gravel could not continue on safely on 2 wheels. Had to turn around then go back south. You can see some of the pictures of my trip at https://m.flickr.com/photos/raysoftheson/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the discussion dies ?????????????????