Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Access to Saddlebag catch RT - SE6 2015 Model

I have a Spyder RT SE6 2015 Base Model

The Right hand saddlebag catch (Jaws - This closes on the lid pins) does not go back when closing the saddlebag lid - I can use a screwdriver to open the jaws of the catch and this allows the lid to close, it releases ok but the catch remains in the closed position

It looks like a small spring has come off and I want to get access to the catch to see if I can reconnect it

I have a CD Service manual but could not find the details of how to get access to the catch - I think I have to remove the rear passenger handrail

Does anyone have a step by step guide on what I need to do to access this catch

Any information would be useful

Thanks
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Looking for A similar solution I have a 2014 RT limited my saddlebag latch will not release to open them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Not everything on the Spyder has a removal procedure in the service manual.
    In those cases, you go to the parts explosion drawings and this will help you see how it goes together.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Not everything on the Spyder has a removal procedure in the service manual.
    In those cases, you go to the parts explosion drawings and this will help you see how it goes together.

Bob
    Thanks Finless

I did check the BRP parts website and found I needed to remove the Passenger Handrail - 5 Bolts in total - 2 Gold coloured bolts at one end 1Gold coloured one at the other end
    and 2 Black bolts between the 2 catches Having disconnected the Audio Control and the heating connector (Had the rear heated passenger handrails added)
    first
    I then had to remove 2 tie wraps (Cable Ties) which secures a wiring loom to the Radio just to get access to remove the whole catch
    as suspected a small spring had become unattached which allows the jaws to remain open whilst the lid is open - as you close the lid the jaws lock in place
    I found that BRP fits the small spring under the catches which allows them to fall out (the pieces bent over are on the top of the catch, So I
    refitted the springs on top which should make them more secure - Maybe BRP should consider this as this is more secure and the spring is less
    likely to drop out

Note - The 3 Gold coloured bolts are held by captive nuts and they use loctite I had to wedge a screwdriver in to stop the captive nut from spinning due to how tight the bolts were in

Hope this helps olthers
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort all of it out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black