Spyder Garage

Angry Watch out for bad dealerships!

I took my Spyder in for 3k break-in service a week ago to the dealer I had bought it new from, C & C Sports in Brighton, MI. When taking it down off the lift they broke my TricLED Bump/Skid lights.
    I gave them the website info and said call me when you have them in so I could bring it back in for them to replace.
    First they never called me, I had to call them a week later to see what was going on.
    They told me they bought Custom Dynamic LED's to replace the ones they broke. They tried to say they were the same lights as TricLED's which is crap and it is not an exact replacement. I could tell they were now trying to cheap out on me.

They said well give us the name of the company again and I also gave them there phone number. I'll give them to the end of the week to call me.
    If anyone has helpful suggestions dealing with supposed reputable dealerships let me know.

Andy.

P.S. My 14' RT-S with SE6 trans died on me for the first time today when taking off from a light after it turned green. Is there anything in the 3k service that would have caused this? It has never happened to me before. Luckily it started right back up.
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

2014 Black RT-S with SE6, Tri-Axis handlebars, Rear Trunk liner and shelf, Travel Cover, Heated Comfort seat, Driver Backrest, Akrapovic Silencer, 25 inch Adjustable Vent windshield, Adjustable Side Wind deflectors. BajaRon Swaybar and links. KOTT grills.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DYING ???

I also have a 14 RT SE with 18,000 miles, and in the last 1000 or so it has stalled on a few occasions before it has warmed up. No codes , and will re-start immed. and not stall again........Did you get the DREADED ...D.E.S.S. on the dashboard ?????......Mike

Spyder Garage

Wow. Stalling a SE? Check fluids yall!! Also just curious question. Many new model cars have the check engine lite pop up for oil service & need to be reset after service is done. (Agervating when they forget) Does the spyder have same kind of programing ? Thx

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had heard somewhere (on here?) that there was a stalling issue on a good percentage of the 1330's.
    I had experienced a few "near stalls" myself, like pulling away from idle at a stop sign.
    I mentioned it to my dealer when I had the latest service done. They informed me that there is a
    "driveability issue" that they have a re-map fix from BRP for it.

They downloaded it , no charge, in about 10 minutes time. It REALLY WORKS !
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Additional info

I have had near stalls in the past when taking off from a stop just to clarify. I also typically run in ECO mode.

The dealer has never resolved the radio reception issue. They replaced the antennae at my cost last year a few months after I bought it from them. Radio reception is only good in Accessory Mode. (Turn key off then press Mode Button) Otherwise, poor or no radio reception with a high level of RFI noise out of the speakers. (All other conditions of radio on. i.e. Key on/Motor running or not.) (I also have an amateur radio license and was a automotive wire harness CAD designer so I know a bit about this.)
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

2014 Black RT-S with SE6, Tri-Axis handlebars, Rear Trunk liner and shelf, Travel Cover, Heated Comfort seat, Driver Backrest, Akrapovic Silencer, 25 inch Adjustable Vent windshield, Adjustable Side Wind deflectors. BajaRon Swaybar and links. KOTT grills.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Problem with Stalling out

Although I have not had any problems with my 2015 RTS , I'm always interested in what problems others are having with their spyders. Please keep us in the loop in how your dealer fixes the problem. Thanks.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Exclamation update 11/09/2015

Hi all,
    Still no word from the BRP dealer service dept.
    I did get a PM the other day from BRP Care and it told me to email them with my VIN and my problems with their dealer.
    So I emailed them today at the address they gave me in the PM.
    We will see if this helps at all.
    Has anyone else have to involve BRP Customer Care in issues with their dealers? Do you think it helped?
    Faithful Spyder Owners want to know!

Andy
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRT View Post
    Hi all,
    I did get a PM the other day from BRP Care and it told me to email them with my VIN and my problems with their dealer.
    Has anyone else have to involve BRP Customer Care in issues with their dealers? Do you think it helped?

Andy
    When I had an issue, BRP Care worked behind the scenes and solved mine.

Most experiences that have been posted are good.

Asking for pain and suffering, or things that were out in left field, generally have not met with favorable results.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have had near stalls in the past when taking off from a stop just to clarify. I also typically run in ECO mode.

The dealer has never resolved the radio reception issue. They replaced the antennae at my cost last year a few months after I bought it from them. Radio reception is only good in Accessory Mode. (Turn key off then press Mode Button) Otherwise, poor or no radio reception with a high level of RFI noise out of the speakers. (All other conditions of radio on. i.e. Key on/Motor running or not.) (I also have an amateur radio license and was a automotive wire harness CAD designer so I know a bit about this.)
    Do you have any aftermarket LED lights installed? Are they in the off mode when the Spyder is in accessory mode?

I ask this because I had the same reception issues with my Spyder with The FM and 2 Meter Ham Band. I own a RF Spectrum analyzer and was able to trace the noise source to the switching power converter that some brands of LED lights use. If your LED light had a tiny circuit sometimes in a metal can or wrapped in heat shrink, that may be the cause of your interference.

I met someone who had the same issue as me at SpyderQuest. To confirm the interference was from the LED lights, I pulled the fuse for the tail lights, Whammo , noise was gone.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

Andy
    I have and it was resolved fast. Soon after the service manager was fired! The service dept is great now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Do you have any aftermarket LED lights installed? Are they in the off mode when the Spyder is in accessory mode?

I ask this because I had the same reception issues with my Spyder with The FM and 2 Meter Ham Band. I own a RF Spectrum analyzer and was able to trace the noise source to the switching power converter that some brands of LED lights use. If your LED light had a tiny circuit sometimes in a metal can or wrapped in heat shrink, that may be the cause of your interference.

I met someone who had the same issue as me at SpyderQuest. To confirm the interference was from the LED lights, I pulled the fuse for the tail lights, Whammo , noise was gone.
    Yes, I added to my RT-S TricLED lights. I have not heard of any issues with their lights. I have the saddle bag reflector lights, 3rd & 4 th run/brake light, front fender set of reflector lights, vader trim lights around headlights and foglights, white ring light around BRP front trunk emblem, and the one the dealer broke => bump/skid light. I have switches for vader and bump/skid.
    Last edited by SpyderRT; 11-10-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

Spyder Garage

Yes, I added to my RT-S TricLED lights. I have not heard of any issues with their lights. I have the saddle bag reflector lights, 3rd & 4 th run/brake light, front fender set of reflector lights, vader trim lights around headlights and foglights, white ring light around BRP front trunk emblem, and the one the dealer broke => bump/skid light. I have switches for vader and bump/skid.
    Your noise is coming from the saddlebag and brake light led drivers. I have not installed my white ring yet, but the red ring in the rear also generates noise. A very easy test, go in the frunk and remove the fuse for the tail lights. If all the stuff you installed is using the harness, then all of them will go off with that fuse. Your dead giveaway to this answer was when you stated the radio was fine in accessory mode, the taillights are off in this mode. With the fuse out you can still start the engine and verify.

I originally thought the interference was coming from one of the Spyders computers, but it was too much of a coincidence that the radio worked fine until the LED's were installed. Fortunately I own RF test equipment to locate it.
    Good Luck,
    Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Update 11/17

Hi all,
    I got a call last week from BRP and then immediately after I got one from the dealer.
    The dealer was defensive but willing.
    The dealer called again yesterday and said the correct LED's are in.
    Now I just need to make an appointment to get the LED's on the Bump/Skid pad replaced that they broke.

I'm leery to have the dealer do anything else.

Andy
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

Spyder Garage

Default "Defensive but willing"

Sorry, but in my opinion, this would lead me away from said dealer. I would have someone else take care of the issue.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Angry I'm Done with C & C Sports

I finally got back from the BRP dealer. (C & C Sports, Brighton, MI)
    Really?!!!
    They brought out a reel of bulk LED's they buy from Custom Dynamics. (Which they are a dealer of according to themselves)
    "See they look the same as those you had." So what?
    I asked if they were the same Kelvin temp or same Lux output.
    I also said "Why don't you hook them up to a battery and compare?" They declined.
    They gave me an estimate of $276 to fix the RF radio interence issue with me supplying them with the parts and explain how to do everything very simply and quickly. They asked me if I knew how to take off panel. That led me to believe they didn't even know how.
    This is a BRP dealer service department folks.
    I said no thanks to $276.
    I told them the Spyder died on me again 2 days ago. They said to just let the Spyder warm up. Any software updates would have been done "automatically" when they connected to my Spyder when I brought it in last time. I will look but I don't recall it being on the list of things done when I took it in a few weeks ago for 3k break-in service.
    At least I got the TricLED Bump/Skid LED's replaced that they broke a few weeks ago.
    I won't be back to this BRP dealership. They weren't even listed as "Certified" much less above on BRP's own website.
    I don't care that I bought my Spyder there. (I am normally loyal to dealers I buy from.)

Andy.
    Last edited by SpyderRT; 11-19-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

MelloYelloSpyder

I finally got back from the BRP dealer. (C & C Sports, Brighton, MI)
    Really?!!!
    They brought out a reel of bulk LED's they buy from Custom Dynamics. (Which they are a dealer of according to themselves)
    "See they look the same as those you had." So what?
    I asked if they were the same Kelvin temp or same Lux output.
    I also said "Why don't you hook them up to a battery and compare?" They declined.
    They gave me an estimate of $276 to fix the RF radio interence issue with me supplying them with the parts and explain how to do everything very simply and quickly. They asked me if I knew how to take off panel. That led me to believe they didn't even know how.
    This is a BRP dealer service department folks.
    I said no thanks to $276.
    I told them the Spyder died on me again 2 days ago. They said to just let the Spyder warm up. Any software updates would have been done "automatically" when they connected to my Spyder when I brought it in last time. I will look but I don't recall it being on the list of things done when I took it in a few weeks ago for 3k break-in service.
    At least I got the TricLED Bump/Skid LED's replaced that they broke a few weeks ago.
    I won't be back to this BRP dealership. They weren't even listed as "Certified" much less above on BRP's own website.
    I don't care that I bought my Spyder there. (I am normally loyal to dealers I buy from.)

Andy.
    Hey Andy. I don't know who else is close to your neck of the woods in Brighton. I live in Lansing and go to FastLane Powersports in Mason Michigan. They are a reputable dealer having bought multiple motorcycles and now my Spyder from them. The Spyder mechanic is top notch and knows what he is doing.

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ISSUES

Hi all,
    I got a call last week from BRP and then immediately after I got one from the dealer.
    The dealer was defensive but willing.
    The dealer called again yesterday and said the correct LED's are in.
    Now I just need to make an appointment to get the LED's on the Bump/Skid pad replaced that they broke.

I'm leery to have the dealer do anything else.

Andy
    Andy, I feel your pain ( and I agree with others this dealer sounds like a combination of incompetence and greed )..... .....You were asked about whether you got the D.E.S.S. flash on the dash ( orange ) when it died.............Did you ?????........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Andy, I feel your pain ( and I agree with others this dealer sounds like a combination of incompetence and greed )..... .....You were asked about whether you got the D.E.S.S. flash on the dash ( orange ) when it died.............Did you ?????........Mike
    Hi Blueknight911,
    I asked the service guy if they had done any updates. Service guy said it would have been "automatically" done when I brought it in a few weeks ago for 3k service.
    I don't recall any lights when the Spyder died. I was in too big of a hurry to re-start it and get out of the way. I was at a red light again waiting for it to turn. when the traffic light turned I went to take off and the Spyder died when I gave it throttle to pull away.

Andy
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

Spyder Garage

Default NO DESS ISSUE

Hi Blueknight911,
    I asked the service guy if they had done any updates. Service guy said it would have been "automatically" done when I brought it in a few weeks ago for 3k service.
    I don't recall any lights when the Spyder died. I was in too big of a hurry to re-start it and get out of the way. I was at a red light again waiting for it to turn. when the traffic light turned I went to take off and the Spyder died when I gave it throttle to pull away.

Andy
    Well this is good news because quite a few have had this problem ( DESS ).....Someone here also posted about a BRP programming fix for the " stalling " issue........Mike

Spyder Garage

Do you have warranty on your spyder?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

Andy
    Andy, Ask your dealership to open a case with BRP, to get your problem solved, then BRP knows about it. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 11-19-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue