Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool 1330 oil level......

Posted in another thread by Papa Jim:

"Been reading we need to lower the oil by 1/2 qt. To the low end of the dip stick. I used a hand pump through the dip stick tube and will recheck it before we leave. My question is why didn't the factory send out a notice to all new 1330 owners if it can be harmful to the motor/trans. ? "

Anyone here know anything about this? Has it been discussed and I missed it?
    Now I have to admit that although on the 998 V-Twin I regularly checked the oil...on the 1330 triple I don't.
    Reason? A modern motor shouldn't need to be checked between oil changes unless it develops a visible leak.
    My Street Triple revved to 14,000 rpm and I frequently hit the limiter. It used no oil between the 6000 mile oil changes.
    Years ago I had an 850 Yamaha triple which was the same.
    However, overfilling the oil is a whole different thing and will cause the engine to be damaged...nobody wants a blown crankshaft oil seal!

Hmmm....my 1300th. post! Only another 60,000 to go and I'll catch Mr. Denman!
    Last edited by OJ UK; 11-03-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has been kicked around in the 1330 area...
    This was posted back in February...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 OIL LEVEL

BRP cares posted awhile back ...that the amounts stated in the manual was in-correct and people were over-filling at OIL changes ...............However the readings on the DIPSTICK are accurate and you should use them for checking the level of OIL in the system......What Bob D. posted above is the correct FILL amount ....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the clarification.

Spyder Garage

Just changed the oil on my F3 about an hour ago. I added one gal and one quart. I then let it run till I was at 4 bars on my temp and checked the oil. It was right at the add bar on the dip stick when seated. I then added about 3 oz and it came up to the middle of the stick between add and full. Hope that helps.

On an added note I did have quite a bit of shavings on the right side drain plug. I'm told that is normal for the first few oil changes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It has been kicked around in the 1330 area...
    This was posted back in February...
    Even though this has been around 9 months,and confirmed by Steve M @BRP cares, there are some BRP dealers who still have not yet got the memo. They still want to put 6 quarts of oil in a 1330. How can this be????????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Overfill

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Posted in another thread by Papa Jim:

"Been reading we need to lower the oil by 1/2 qt. To the low end of the dip stick. I used a hand pump through the dip stick tube and will recheck it before we leave. My question is why didn't the factory send out a notice to all new 1330 owners if it can be harmful to the motor/trans. ? "

Anyone here know anything about this? Has it been discussed and I missed it?
    Now I have to admit that although on the 998 V-Twin I regularly checked the oil...on the 1330 triple I don't.
    Reason? A modern motor shouldn't need to be checked between oil changes unless it develops a visible leak.
    My Street Triple revved to 14,000 rpm and I frequently hit the limiter. It used no oil between the 6000 mile oil changes.
    Years ago I had an 850 Yamaha triple which was the same.
    However, overfilling the oil is a whole different thing and will cause the engine to be damaged...nobody wants a blown crankshaft oil seal!

Hmmm....my 1300th. post! Only another 60,000 to go and I'll catch Mr. Denman!
    I changed oil at the 8K and put a six qt. oil pan under the machine and filled it up to 1/4" from the top ! measured it and it was six qts. and the first oil change was done by a reputable dealer. This is why I do all my own work. My dip stick reads at the fill mark when hot, when cold half of that. Reason I check when cold ? I drove a lot of Fords in the old days and you always added before you left.

Spyder Garage

See the second and third bullets from BRPcare at this link:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0-Oil-Level-on. The last oil change I did the level at five even quarts was at the add mark once I'd warmed the engine to the point where the radiator fans cycled twice. I subsequently added 10 oz addditional and now the level is a bit shy of the bottom of the full mark when at operating temperature. My old brain just wasn't satisfied running around with the oil level at the add mark.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I simply put in 5 qts, with or without new filter, and it measures just over the top knob on the stick.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Capsity...

I always change the oil and refill by the dip stick. Most manuals will state the capasity and all engines retain oil when drained. Better and easier to be on the low side when refilling...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I emailed BRP about a month ago was told that the manual was correct for SE6-- 5.6 quarts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting Point

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    See the second and third bullets from BRPcare at this link:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0-Oil-Level-on. The last oil change I did the level at five even quarts was at the add mark once I'd warmed the engine to the point where the radiator fans cycled twice. I subsequently added 10 oz addditional and now the level is a bit shy of the bottom of the full mark when at operating temperature. My old brain just wasn't satisfied running around with the oil level at the add mark.
    The third bullet "...A new dipstick is not necessary since the oil level in the oil tank doesn’t change, only the method of adding the initial amount before final level verification. In other words, it's easier to add more oil if you underfill than to remove excess oil if you overfill." The new fill amounts give you a good starting point. I just did my RT SM6, put in the stated 4-3/4qts and full hot (10-mile ride plus idle) it got me up to the "add" mark. It took another 1/4 qt to get me to a little under the Max mark which is where I like to be. Pretty much the same experience you just reported for your SE.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txhood View Post
    I emailed BRP about a month ago was told that the manual was correct for SE6-- 5.6 quarts.
    This certainly adds to the confusion. It's no wonder that dealers are confused.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    That matches up with NOTHING...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I will make it even more confusing. I had the 3,000 mile service done a few weeks ago by my dealer. I was billed for 4 quarts of oil. Concerned, checked the oil level and it was up to the top bump on the dipstick. I believe the dealer put in 5 quarts but billed me for 4.

I was billed for $283 for an oil change. I certainly was not going back to pay for another quart of oil! Glad I can do my own oil changes from now on. That is a crazy amount of money for an oil change.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I feel for the non mechanically inclined owners as they are at the mercy of the dealers .

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I will make it even more confusing. I had the 3,000 mile service done a few weeks ago by my dealer. I was billed for 4 quarts of oil. Concerned, checked the oil level and it was up to the top bump on the dipstick. I believe the dealer put in 5 quarts but billed me for 4.

I was billed for $283 for an oil change. I certainly was not going back to pay for another quart of oil! Glad I can do my own oil changes from now on. That is a crazy amount of money for an oil change.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    I feel for the non mechanically inclined owners as they are at the mercy of the dealers .
    I do as well. Before I purchased the Spyder, I researched if the owner can retrieve codes if the need arises. This information is need for troubleshooting the engine and other issues. The Spyder is similar to the Rotax equipped Seadoo 4-tec, 4 stroke fuel injected jet ski we own. Sure enough, After 4 years and out of warranty the Ski started going into limp mode. Fortunately codes can be retrieved (like the Spyder) and was able to decode the P code as coolant temperature out of range. Replaced the sensor and have not had another issue for the past 10 years. I have a code scanner for vehicles, and have used it more on my Wife's 2001 Taurus then my OBD1 1994 Explorer.

I will not look forward if the day comes that an issue arises that Buds is need. Then I will be at the mercy of the dealer as well. But that is where this forum comes in handy. Everyone shares information. I would never purchase any type of vehicle I could not service myself, and did not have a wonderful forum like this to help. Thanks to Lamont and all of you who participate in this forum .
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

is there a video on how to change the oil on the F3-S 2016 model. I have look for it on youtube an have not found it only on the older model. I will soon be an owner of one of these machine an would like to learn as much I can to do it myself like that I have more money for accessory and less for dealer fees...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by txhood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That matches up with NOTHING...

Unfortunately it does match up with something, Bob. It matches up with the original instructions for 2014 oil changes found in the owner's manual. The 2014 manual specifies adding 5.6 qts for an SE with filter change and 5.9 qts when the HCM filter is included. That manual is out-of-date and was superseded by the numbers you show above. I can't believe that the person at BRP who responded to the question was not aware of that revision. Now if you really want to get confused, look at the 2015 operator's manual. It shows the table you posted above in the oil change procedures section (page 125) and is up-to-date. However, if you go to the Technical Specifications section (page 165), it still shows the original higher numbers as the "engine oil capacity". Either BRP forgot to update the Technical Specifications OR they are saying these Tech Spec numbers correctly represent the ultimate capacity of the system. I'd like to think the latter is correct. The higher, original 2014 numbers and the 2015 Tech Spec numbers are the ultimate "engine oil capacity" numbers. But the procedure for changing oil has been revised to reflect that you do not get every last drop of oil out of the engine when you drain it. In order to avoid overfilling, start on the low side with the new numbers which are labeled in your table as "oil service quantities", then check the oil level when fully hot and bring it up as needed. As I said earlier, the new numbers are a starting point and you go from there. That's what Steve from BRP stated in his info and third bullet quoted earlier in this thread. That sounds like a good procedure to me.

To give the BRP rep the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he quickly looked at the Tech Spec numbers and wrote his reply, not realizing or taking the time to find the different, lower quantities featured in the oil change procedure section. Or he looked at a 2014 manual for a 2014 question. Either way, I think he misled the person who asked the question and should have been aware of the new oil change procedure.

Perfectly clear??

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL AMOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Unfortunately it does match up with something, Bob. It matches up with the original instructions for 2014 oil changes found in the owner's manual. The 2014 manual specifies adding 5.6 qts for an SE with filter change and 5.9 qts when the HCM filter is included. That manual is out-of-date and was superseded by the numbers you show above. I can't believe that the person at BRP who responded to the question was not aware of that revision. Now if you really want to get confused, look at the 2015 operator's manual. It shows the table you posted above in the oil change procedures section (page 125) and is up-to-date. However, if you go to the Technical Specifications section (page 165), it still shows the original higher numbers as the "engine oil capacity". Either BRP forgot to update the Technical Specifications OR they are saying these Tech Spec numbers correctly represent the ultimate capacity of the system. I'd like to think the latter is correct. The higher, original 2014 numbers and the 2015 Tech Spec numbers are the ultimate "engine oil capacity" numbers. But the procedure for changing oil has been revised to reflect that you do not get every last drop of oil out of the engine when you drain it. In order to avoid overfilling, start on the low side with the new numbers which are labeled in your table as "oil service quantities", then check the oil level when fully hot and bring it up as needed. As I said earlier, the new numbers are a starting point and you go from there. That's what Steve from BRP stated in his info and third bullet quoted earlier in this thread. That sounds like a good procedure to me.

To give the BRP rep the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he quickly looked at the Tech Spec numbers and wrote his reply, not realizing or taking the time to find the different, lower quantities featured in the oil change procedure section. Or he looked at a 2014 manual for a 2014 question. Either way, I think he misled the person who asked the question and should have been aware of the new oil change procedure.

Perfectly clear??
    ..." bingo "...I was going to post pretty much the same conclusion as you so eloquently stated .......Mike

Spyder Garage

When changes like this occur, does BRP send out a notice to the owners or are we just at the mercy of the dealership doing the work to do the right thing.

As stated above, without this forum most of us would be in the dark and at the mercy of whoever is doing the work.

Spyder Garage

My oil, after 5000 miles is still so clear you can't hardly make it out on the dipstick. Why didn't they make the plastic part of the dipstick white instead of tan so it would be easier to read? This is hardly an exact science.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack,
    Try laying the dipstick on a piece of paper towel. Enough oil should transfer to the towel, that you can figure out where it was on the stick...

Spyder Garage

Angry really confused

So I just changed the oil in my wife's 2014 SE6, using the CanAm oil change kit we bought from our dealer. I put in the new filter (hope I got all those o-rings in the right place), the BIG jug o' oil, and the two quarts. I assume that was about 6 quarts total. Oil level comes up to the top mark on the dipstick.

Please tell me--did I put in:
    __Too much oil, and now I'm screwed. Have to figure out how to reduce the qty (by sucking some out??)
    __Too little oil (probably not the case)
    __Just the right amount, because the dealer told me that the kit had everything I needed,
    __Don't worry about it. Just ride the darn thing!

Please help by checking the correct box.

--Goldilocks

Shirley G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by windancer View Post
    So I just changed the oil in my wife's 2014 SE6, using the CanAm oil change kit we bought from our dealer. I put in the new filter (hope I got all those o-rings in the right place), the BIG jug o' oil, and the two quarts. I assume that was about 6 quarts total. Oil level comes up to the top mark on the dipstick.

Please tell me--did I put in:
    __Too much oil, and now I'm screwed. Have to figure out how to reduce the qty (by sucking some out??)
    __Too little oil (probably not the case)
    __Just the right amount, because the dealer told me that the kit had everything I needed,
    __Don't worry about it. Just ride the darn thing!

Please help by checking the correct box.

--Goldilocks

If you put more than 5.2 qts in, then it was too much. There are suction devices on the market with small tubes that will go down in the fill hole to pull some oil out. Should be able to find something at auto stores, possibly Walmart. Heres what I use: http://www.amazon.com/ABN-Multi-Use-...e+Suction+Pump

I never put in but 5 qts and leave it at that.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 11-18-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)