Spyder Garage

Default this picture makes me laugh

when i worked i was a electrician, if we went into a office where we had to work on something, and we didn't know where the circuit breaker was, we would stick a wire into the outlet and blow the circuit to ground, then look for the breaker. and i think i did ok in life.

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an explanation for that...

It really wasn't my fault!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

congress perhaps

Spyder Garage

That picture brings back some memories. My son did that with a key ring (playing starting a car) when he was about three. Not hurt, but got a good scare. We took the key ring away after that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My daughter did that in base housing. She got hold of a jumper wire from my tool pouch and stuck it in the socket. I heard the bang from the circuit breaker and a yell from upstairs. Ran up and there she was laughing like a hyena while smoke was coming out of the socket. Her little behind was smoking after that.

Having said that. When I was working for an equipment company, it was sometimes very hard to find a short in a Kevlar coated multi wire harness. So we did a 'smoke check'. We bypassed the fuse/circuit breaker to the affected circuit and applied power while we watched for smoke. Quickly cutting power when the smoke appeared.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

when i would check for a short i would put a pig tail with a 100 watt bulb in in the breaker and the other end in the circuit. the bulb would light and when you found the source of the short the bulb would go out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

All things "electronical" are in fact powered by smoke. When the smoke escapes, that part has failed.
    '15 RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After almost ANY attempt at an electrical "repair" around the house; my hair usually ends up looking like this...

The Missus has the Fire Department on Speed-Dial...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

the worst shock you can get, is the one you don't figure you can get. like a old timer with me, i was working on a 277 volt lighting circuit in a 1x4 hole for a light fixture, and the old timer, mike, said to me, don't worry i shut it off. well i reached in the ceiling to pull the wires out of the box and i got hit with 277 volts, mike shut off the wrong circuit. at the time we were still allowed to smoke in buildings, and i spit my cigarette half way across the room and don't remember coming off the 6 ft. ladder. all mike said was, SORRY
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    After almost ANY attempt at an electrical "repair" around the house; my hair usually ends up looking like this...

The Missus has the Fire Department on Speed-Dial...
    Bob, i use this photo in my ads for monkey free repairs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another one that might work for you.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-02-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

My 2 1/2 year old daughter decided she did not want to sleep so she got up and decided to poke both ends of a necklace in an outlet, one end the ground, the other in the hot. I heard a yelp and little feet running so I came into her room and she was under the covers pretending to be a sleep. The room was had the odor of something burnt so I turned the light on and seen the black soot starting out of the outlet and up the wall. At first I thought is was some weird problem with the outlet until I got closer and see the melted gold burned into the carpet.

She was trying so hard to make me think she was a sleep that I could not help but to start laughing. My wife came in and when I told her she was furious so I had to calm her down now. After that I put outlet protectors on all of the exposed ones then tried to explain to her how dangerous it was. I think she figured that out on her own, lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the worst shock you can get, is the one you don't figure you can get. like a old timer with me, i was working on a 277 volt lighting circuit in a 1x4 hole for a light fixture, and the old timer, mike, said to me, don't worry i shut it off. well i reached in the ceiling to pull the wires out of the box and i got hit with 277 volts, mike shut off the wrong circuit. at the time we were still allowed to smoke in buildings, and i spit my cigarette half way across the room and don't remember coming off the 6 ft. ladder. all mike said was, SORRY
    Same story with me but I was 12 years old working with my dad on 12 foot refrigerated open cooler and the "Electrician" he called himself who was on the same job said don't worry, I shut off the power. I got hit with 220v twice then I had to go with the idiot to make sure that right breaker was off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk