Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Leather or vinyl for new seat?

I hope I am not beating a dead horse but I am thinking about the Russel Day Long Saddle for a new seat for the RT Limited. I have looked at the vinyl and the leather and am trying to decide between the two.
    If you have any experience with either or bot, can you tell me what you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even though I sort of prefer leather seats in my cages; I've never had a leather seating surface on any of my bikes...

...and I really don't miss it there!
    I suppose that I'd be concerned about the heat, sunshine, and rain on the leather... At least the vinyl seats are pretty stable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

you have to special order real leather in a Mercedes Benz and end up paying a whole lot more. they have been using vinyl seats for decades. get yourself marine grade vinyl which will look as good if not better and have better resistance to the elements.
    Last edited by DJFaninTN; 10-30-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

When andwhere your ryding. If your ryde spends most of the time out and uncovered and you ryde in a lot of bad weather...go vinyl, if you keep her covered garaged and out of the weather you can go leather...then you can chuck all this aside and go for the one you like and is most comfortable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

On my RDL I went with leather for the seating area and vinyl for the sides. I have tried both on my last two RDL's for my Harley's and preferred leather as it seemed cooler when riding as compaired to the vinyl.
    The leather is holding up very well even through the North To Alaska trip was very harsh on it.

Either way you go you are going to love your RDL seat.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Today's vinyl is actually pretty good. Real Leather looks and feels better but requires more care and attention.

Rain, direct sunlight, heat, are all enemies of leather. The natural look, is very susceptible to stains from sweat or other things.

I used to sell leather, have had it on a couple different cars, but would not want a motorcycle seat that was leather.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've had a number of leather motorcycle seats and have never had any problems. I will always go with leather if it is available.

Spyder Garage

Default Leather

Have it on my rdl and my Corbin saddles. Wears like iron, breathes, comfortable. Cooler in heat, warmer in cold. Grabs better, too!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I disagree with my husband, I find that anytime I sit on a leather Spyder seat I slide forward. Very uncomfortable.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Humm

Well a little cordial disagreement at the Squared Away Headquarters.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here.
    I have been building custom motorcycle seats since 1967
    In the 60's and the 70's leather was always the way to go
    however now it is a hard choice here is why...
    Think about it, leather is SKIN are you willing to put skin lotion
    leather treatment on your seat often? not many people do, motorcycle riders
    are better about doing it than car drivers but remember your car seat, unless
    your car is a rag top is not in the SUN and WEATHER like your motorcycle seat is.
    Leather will crack, it will get hard, it will fade in the sun if you don't take care of it.
    Starting in the late 80 the vinyl manufactures started making vinyls that are now
    BETTER than leather in that they don't crack, dry out or fade in the sun and you don't
    have to put conditioners on it.
    Go out to your car, the one that has leather seats, unless you have a real expensive car
    the only part of the seat that is leather is the small section you sit on and some of the back part you lean back on, all the rest is VINYL that is made to mimic the leather and it is so well made you can not tell the difference in looks and feel.
    Leather is sold by the hyde vinyl is sold by the yard it is much less expensive than leather.
    Vinyl can be had is a zillion different styles... some looks and feels like leather, be it cow hyde, snake, alagater, or whatever, it is also available in some that looks and feels like fabric.
    So you will have to make the choice. Premium high quality vinyl will cost $35.00 to $80.00
    per yard. Leather is WAY more costly to buy....
    I use and recomend both however on my own seats on my motorcycles I use VINYL
    because I can have any desigh I want from leather looking material to carbon fiber and more
    There you have it, if you ever want some samples let me know I will be happy to sed you some
    Ride Safe
    Dave

QUOTE=Fatcycledaddy;1055308]I hope I am not beating a dead horse but I am thinking about the Russel Day Long Saddle for a new seat for the RT Limited. I have looked at the vinyl and the leather and am trying to decide between the two.
    If you have any experience with either or bot, can you tell me what you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance for the input.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 10-31-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I disagree with my husband, I find that anytime I sit on a leather Spyder seat I slide forward. Very uncomfortable.
    Well I definitely agree with One of You!!!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Never had a leather seat crack - of course I take care of it.
    Leather does fade, but so does vinyl as evidence in car dashes, siding of homes, certain areas on motorcycles.
    It comes down to what one wants and is no different then the 1000s of arguments on which motor oil one should use.
    Additionally, since most commercial mass produced custom seats have stitching (Corbin, Ultimate, Mustang) it does matter if vinyl or leather as all these seats are susceptible to rain.
    I agree with you in theory, but 50 years of use have proven a little bit different.

So my suggestion to the OP. Both sides have pros & cons. Get what you want and makes you happy!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Dave here.
    I have been building custom motorcycle seats since 1967
    In the 60's and the 70's leather was always the way to go
    however now it is a hard choice here is why...
    Think about it, leather is SKIN are you willing to put skin lotion
    leather treatment on your seat often? not many people do, motorcycle riders
    are better about doing it than car drivers but remember your car seat, unless
    your car is a rag top is not in the SUN and WEATHER like your motorcycle seat is.
    Leather will crack, it will get hard, it will fade in the sun if you don't take care of it.
    Starting in the late 80 the vinyl manufactures started making vinyls that are now
    BETTER than leather in that they don't crack, dry out or fade in the sun and you don't
    have to put conditioners on it.
    Go out to your car, the one that has leather seats, unless you have a real expensive car
    the only part of the seat that is leather is the small section you sit on and some of the back part you lean back on, all the rest is VINYL that is made to mimic the leather and it is so well made you can not tell the difference in looks and feel.
    Leather is sold by the hyde vinyl is sold by the yard it is much less expensive than leather.
    Vinyl can be had is a zillion different styles... some looks and feels like leather, be it cow hyde, snake, alagater, or whatever, it is also available in some that looks and feels like fabric.
    So you will have to make the choice. Premium high quality vinyl will cost $35.00 to $80.00
    per yard. Leather is WAY more costly to buy....
    I use and recomend both however on my own seats on my motorcycles I use VINYL
    because I can have any desigh I want from leather looking material to carbon fiber and more
    There you have it, if you ever want some samples let me know I will be happy to sed you some
    Ride Safe
    Dave

QUOTE=Fatcycledaddy;1055308]I hope I am not beating a dead horse but I am thinking about the Russel Day Long Saddle for a new seat for the RT Limited. I have looked at the vinyl and the leather and am trying to decide between the two.

Thanks in advance for the input.
    [/QUOTE]

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I ordered full leather on the Russel Day Long they are currently building for my F3. I may regret it but somehow I doubt it. I do tend to care for the seats as well as the rest of the bike well so not worried about maintenance issues, just comfort and feel.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Leaning toward a RDL seat myself. It will be vinyl, or the sunbrella. Have not seen the sunbrella used anywhere so it will be difficult to choose it. I had a fabric RDL on a Beemer I had. Had to spray it all the time to keep it from absorbing water. They no longer offer it. Also had a leather Corbin. Treated the seat every time I washed the bike. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default VINYL

I've always had vinyl seats on all my MC's, It really doesn't matter because I've always used sheepskins for the last 40 yrs., I don't feel the seat material anyway..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I prefer leather & use a leather conditioner to clean & protect

Spyder Garage

Ultimate Seats are vinyl, and you'd be hard-pressed to notice a difference... VERY durable.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

IMHO, there is nothing that looks as good as a well used, well treated leather seat. Over time, it develops a "PATINA" that vinyl just can't duplicate.
    On a motorcycle seat, leather is a harder surface than vinyl. It requires more care, too.
    Kind of like the difference in the kitchen between formica and granite countertops.
    They both work.