Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3's windshield

Spyder Garage

Default F3's windshield

Geez----I do searches for a replacement F3 windshield & all that pops up is info on other models spyders. I do a google search & several windshield links pop up. Does any F3 owner have experience or knowledge on a reasonably priced windshield for the F3 model??
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default GUSTAFSSON

TRY GUSTAFSSON..... gustafsson.com
    I GOT THE 19", AND I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT IT....
    CUTS DOWN THE NOISE AND WIND BY 90%.....

DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I like being in the wind and have a Route 129 and love it. It takes the wind off your chest so you can lighten your grip but still feel the breeze.

Spyder Garage

Default GUSTAFSSON

Installed new Gustafsson Plastics windshield on my F3 this afternoon. FINALLY the windsheild and brackets BRP should have made available from the begining. Real OEM quality from the BRP Blue Ridge brackets and the Gustafsson windscreen moulded to fit. Great protection, quiet ride and looks super on the bike. See what you think:

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gustafsson Windscreen

Is that the light smoke gray windscreen 20 high 26 wide in the photo? Not sure if I want the light smoke gray of the dark smoke gray.

Spyder Garage

Default Shield

I have the Madstad made for the F3 works well out of the box but I lowered mine a bit.

Spyder Garage

Default LITE GRAY

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jeff View Post
    Is that the light smoke gray windscreen 20 high 26 wide in the photo? Not sure if I want the light smoke gray of the dark smoke gray.
    MINE IS THE 'LITE GRAY'.....
    NOT TOO DARK, NOT TOO LITE.... BUT JUST RITE....
    MY ONLY REGRET WAS ORDERING THE OEM BLUE RIDGE WIND SHIELD.... IT WAS OVER $400 AND THE GUSTOFSSON WAS ONLY $270... I COULD'A SAVE MYSELF A FEW BUCK$....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    MINE IS THE 'LITE GRAY'.....
    NOT TOO DARK, NOT TOO LITE.... BUT JUST RITE....
    MY ONLY REGRET WAS ORDERING THE OEM BLUE RIDGE WIND SHIELD.... IT WAS OVER $400 AND THE GUSTOFSSON WAS ONLY $270... I COULD'A SAVE MYSELF A FEW BUCK$....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    But how would you mount it without the BR mounts? I wonder how much just the brackets cost? Don't get me wrong, I had the BR and hated every minute behind it. I got an a F4 and have been very happy with it. I just know how brp charges for its stuff I can only imagine the cost for the brackets!

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Options

I initially bought the BR but found it didn't do the job. I then tried the Madstad, but it wobbled too much while riding. Hated it, sold it. I then ordered the Gustafsson 19". (Their website now says 20" rather than 19" BTW) The Gustafsson fits the BR mounting brackets, but has to be drilled... Simple enough to do. I held the windshield while my wife marked the holes. If you go this route, use the process for drilling the windshield that you use for drilling metal. Start with a small bit, and drill a small hole, then increase the drill bit and hole size a little bit at a time. Don't try to punch a hole through, you'll crack the plastic.

I love my Gustafsson windshield... It works great, and looks great. Didn't break the bank either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    But how would you mount it without the BR mounts? I wonder how much just the brackets cost? Don't get me wrong, I had the BR and hated every minute behind it. I got an a F4 and have been very happy with it. I just know how brp charges for its stuff I can only imagine the cost for the brackets!

You cannot buy the brackets separately. Only as part of the kit. So the Gustafsson option is about $700 all in. Expensive yes but it is by far the best option out there.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    I initially bought the BR but found it didn't do the job. I then tried the Madstad, but it wobbled too much while riding. Hated it, sold it. I then ordered the Gustafsson 19". (Their website now says 20" rather than 19" BTW) The Gustafsson fits the BR mounting brackets, but has to be drilled... Simple enough to do. I held the windshield while my wife marked the holes. If you go this route, use the process for drilling the windshield that you use for drilling metal. Start with a small bit, and drill a small hole, then increase the drill bit and hole size a little bit at a time. Don't try to punch a hole through, you'll crack the plastic.

I love my Gustafsson windshield... It works great, and looks great. Didn't break the bank either.
    I just followed the instructions that came with the windshield. I drilled using the supplied bit in one shot. It never so much as tried to bite the material and went through easy and smooth. No need to use multiple bits but you do need the special bit for plexiglass. Just use light pressure on the bit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Drilling

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I just followed the instructions that came with the windshield. I drilled using the supplied bit in one shot. It never so much as tried to bite the material and went through easy and smooth. No need to use multiple bits but you do need the special bit for plexiglass. Just use light pressure on the bit.
    I'm just cheap. I worked at a plastic manufacturing job at one point in my life and knew that you didn't need a special bit for drilling plastic. You can drill it with a standard bit as long as it's sharp and you let the bit do the work. Simply don't force the bit, let it work.

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gufstaffson

Are you looking over or through this windshield?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    I bought the 20" by 26 wide one. I am 6ft 1in with a 32" inseam. My line of sight is just OVER this windshield. IE its about perfect for me. A shorter person would need the shorter version.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post

Madstad has since replaced the mounting bracket with a more heavy duty bracket and the wobble is gone so Now I am pretty satisfied with the madstad windshield
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default View

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    I have the same set up as JC. I'm right around 6'2" and I look just over the windshield as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Geez----I do searches for a replacement F3 windshield & all that pops up is info on other models spyders. I do a google search & several windshield links pop up. Does any F3 owner have experience or knowledge on a reasonably priced windshield for the F3 model??
    Darrell
    Look at F4 Customs before buying...got close to 10,000 miles on mine, love it....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Madstad has since replaced the mounting bracket with a more heavy duty bracket and the wobble is gone so Now I am pretty satisfied with the madstad windshield

Yes but the Madstad hardware is ugly!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 32" F4 windshield setup for sale, not quite tall enough for me. PM me if interested
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default second this

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have the Madstad with the new brackets and it is very solid. The adjust-ability is priceless because you can tailor it to your height and wind preference. Price is reasonable. Just call and tell them your height and they will send you what you need. They make smaller versions than the 18 inch. I have a 14 inch because I am 5' 5" tall. I look over the shield, it's about chin high, and the wind is not a problem. I found the bike uncomfortable to ride at highway speeds , for any period of time, without a shield. Good luck with your choice.

Spyder Garage

Can we have a pic of the new brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I'm glad you like my creation [emoji106]

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Share pics & fyi smooth spyder dual mode back rest got one on my STL (thx to Jim) on my trip to key west & was 100%better trip after. Loading pics is a trick
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    I have the Madstad with the new brackets and it is very solid. The adjust-ability is priceless because you can tailor it to your height and wind preference. Price is reasonable. Just call and tell them your height and they will send you what you need. They make smaller versions than the 18 inch. I have a 14 inch because I am 5' 5" tall. I look over the shield, it's about chin high, and the wind is not a problem. I found the bike uncomfortable to ride at highway speeds , for any period of time, without a shield. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pix

I'll post bracket pics asap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Darrell
    From what I have read there are now five choices of windshields for the 2015 F3, if there are others please add to this list and correct any of my mistakes:

1. BRP blue ridge comes with brackets

2. California Scientific (calsci.com) comes with brackets

3. F4 customs comes with brackets

4. Gustafsson (bikescreen.com) + one needs BRP blue ridge brackets and drill holes in windshield

5. Madstad comes with brackets.

Nice to finally have some choices, those of us early on only had choice of BRP blue ridge or gauge cover shield for naked riding.

I started with BRP blueridge but now use an RT windshield with DIY brackets for cold weather and multi-day trips - Calsci Tinted Shorty other times. Both windshields work for me - Calsci tinted shorty looks better to me on F3 than RT shield. Wish my RT shield was also tinted.

I've wasted allot of money and time on windshields for my F3-S.

Best wishes in picking a windshield, it is not easy IMHO.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Some pix of the new Madstad mount

Here you go. I looked at some older pictures and the mount looks similar. This setup doesn't move at all, even up to 90 mph. Sorry the photos are sideways, don't know why that happened.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    From what I have read there are now five choices of windshields for the 2015 F3, if there are others please add to this list and correct any of my mistakes:

1. BRP blue ridge comes with brackets

2. California Scientific (calsci.com) comes with brackets

3. F4 customs comes with brackets

4. Gustafsson (bikescreen.com) + one needs BRP blue ridge brackets and drill holes in windshield

5. Madstad comes with brackets.

Nice to finally have some choices, those of us early on only had choice of BRP blue ridge or gauge cover shield for naked riding.

I started with BRP blueridge but now use an RT windshield with DIY brackets for cold weather and multi-day trips - Calsci Tinted Shorty other times. Both windshields work for me - Calsci tinted shorty looks better to me on F3 than RT shield. Wish my RT shield was also tinted.

I've wasted allot of money and time on windshields for my F3-S.

Best wishes in picking a windshield, it is not easy IMHO.
    6, BRP Blue Ridge with Tour x-creen attachment