Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem with F3 seating position

Now that its getting colder in Colorado, I have notice the the cold air goes right up the pants legs because your legs are pointing forward, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Spyder Garage

I thought about that as I was going to the rally last week. My Carhartts are thicker and warmer but they have a large leg opening. I went with my jeans that are smaller at the leg opening to prevent that. When it gets colder I'm hoping my taller boots will help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use my F3 to commute sometimes so I am wearing dress slacks. Was never a problem with my RS because your legs are tucked up under you. Might have to blouse my boots like I did in the military.

Spyder Garage

Default Old fashion...

remember the close pins used the keep your slack cuffs from rubbing your bicycle chain..?? Or the wide rubber band used for the same reason.?? Well they can work here to keep the air out...

Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Diamond Gusset riding jeans have velcro at the bottom of the legs just for this problem. http://gusset.com/defender/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    remember the close pins used the keep your slack cuffs from rubbing your bicycle chain..?? Or the wide rubber band used for the same reason.?? Well they can work here to keep the air out...

A couple of Velcro straps should "seal the deal" for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

JPCyles sells some elastic garters that go from your boots to the cuff of your pants to hold them down. Cheap, effective.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Diamond Gusset riding jeans have velcro at the bottom of the legs just for this problem. http://gusset.com/defender/
    Lots of good ideas here. I have friends with these jeans and they are great. I think I'll try 'em out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Now that its getting colder in Colorado, I have notice the the cold air goes right up the pants legs because your legs are pointing forward, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    If you get a pair of the "slender" or "boot cut" jeans and then wear a motorcycle boot that is about 12" tall - that combination works really well at keeping the wind from going up the pants leg. Just slide the jeans over the boot top, and it seals pretty good. Since it wasn't that long ago that I rode a 2-wheel bike (H-D); I think the F3 is much warmer overall (on those brisk cool rides). My knees don't get near as cold as they used to. Of course I did not have a fairing, and only a modest windshield. Naturally I have a nice pair of leather chaps for the really cold rides.
    --- Trekster
    Veteran US Army, ARADCOM 35th Arty Bde (AD)

2015 F3-s
    BR Windshield, Bikers Friend Luggage Bag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

Ah! The good ol' bicycle clip!

Of course these can now be had in a much more modern format......using Velcro! Most mountain bike shops sell 'em.
    Can't say that I suffer with the problem as I ride with calf length boots in colder weather. The top of the boots "fills" the
    leg of my kevlar or leather jeans so no draught. (draft)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    Lots of good ideas here. I have friends with these jeans and they are great. I think I'll try 'em out.
    2 words . . . Duct Tape!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Doggoneit Highwayman this post has cost me big time. I bought a pair of the Defenders and loved them. I just looked at their Black Friday sale and bought another pair and a couple of pairs of their other jeans. The Defenders do work great and I am hoping the Kevlar on the knees will provide some wind protection too. I should have just used rubber bands.
    Last edited by TommyBwell; 11-27-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    Doggoneit Highwayman this post has cost me big time. I bought a pair of the Defenders and loved them. I just looked at their Black Friday sale and bought another pair and a couple of pairs of there other jeans. The Defenders do work great and I am hoping the Kevlar on the knees will provide some wind protection too. I should have just used rubber bands.
    The Kevlar lined parts do give an extra layer--but I do not use mine when the weather gets below 45 degrees or so. Chaps over jeans or the first gear riding pants (liner in or out) and the Velcro bottom tightners.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Time for the original ................................... SPATS.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

All good ideas above. Nothing is worse than cold air shooting up your pant legs while cruising down the road. Tucking the jeans into the boots (zipper top part preferred) will stop the air flow.

The stirrup type devices also work well--but you are still going to get some breeze.

Regular riding pants with or without liners. They usually have Velcro tightners built in--so no tucking is necessary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Ah! The good ol' bicycle clip!

Of course these can now be had in a much more modern format......using Velcro! Most mountain bike shops sell 'em.
    Can't say that I suffer with the problem as I ride with calf length boots in colder weather. The top of the boots "fills" the
    leg of my kevlar or leather jeans so no draught. (draft)

These are what I remember using to keep my long pants out of the chain.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The idea about Velcro straps should be the easiest to try out...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found some black military blousing straps. I cant ware jeans to work or any type of biker pants. I dont have to worry about it for awhile anyway. It was 3 degrees this morning.