Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Installed headlights tody

My right side went out, decided to change both.
    Upgraded to LED's , definitely an improvement.
    Installed Xenondepot led's easy installation plug and play. 9005led for 2013 rtl .
    Recommend these to anyone that needs to fix or replace headlights.

Spyder Garage

My kit has been sitting inside the front door for a few weeks now. I was waiting to do the install after all my out of town events were attended.

Spyder Garage

What wattage are these bulbs? Where did you get them?

Spyder Garage

Not sure of the wattage, got them from Xenondepot, plug and play hook up. Rated 6000k white light. 9005LED kit.

Spyder Garage

larry when i did mine i pulled the whole headlight assemble out of the bike, did you do the same. and yes they are bright
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Yes ,I watched the video on YouTube, all you need is a 10 mil.socket, with a long extension and the torque tool from your tool kit. Took me about an hour to do. Hard part was putting mirror back on,lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Not sure of the wattage, got them from Xenondepot, plug and play hook up. Rated 6000k white light. 9005LED kit.
    I put 100W LED Lights in my 2014 RT Limited about 3 months ago. I have had both blow out and I was very particular about not touching the bulb. This last failure has done some damage to the light housing. I am going back to the 65W bulb but it will be LED instead of halogen.
    uploadfromtaptalk1446075640312.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446075675862.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446075721466.jpg

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by satownsendsr View Post
    I put 100W LED Lights in my 2014 RT Limited about 3 months ago. I have had both blow out and I was very particular about not touching the bulb. This last failure has done some damage to the light housing. I am going back to the 65W bulb but it will be LED instead of halogen.
    uploadfromtaptalk1446075640312.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446075675862.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446075721466.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1446076097364.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446076133168.jpg

Spyder Garage

uploadfromtaptalk1446076219277.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR POST AND PICS

I hate posting ....however, the names you are using for the lamps/bulbs don't make any sense....The pics are not of LED's or HID's ( I can't tell what was in the headlight )....they are all Halogen in appearance....to the best of my knowledge there is no such think as a 65W LED bulb ....LED's are not even bulb's....I have never heard of " 100W LED Lights "......I sent you a PM, I hope it clears this up ........Mike ................ OK, while I was typing you posted more PICs....You bought 100 watt Halogen Bulbs .....NOT LED.....and I'm guessing you did it after reading my post about it, I'm sorry this happened to you....it also happened to me and I ,immediately posted about it, and said if you did it to UNDO IT ASAP.......only my plug melted , the bulbs were/are fine and I now have CERAMIC plugs to re-place the BRP ones that melted....these are rated for 1800 degree's F ..........If you want Brighter and safer lights go with the 9005 LED set from Xenon Dept. they are about $ 100.00 delivered and work great from all reports............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

I ordered the H8's for my fog lights. They r the xenon depot led fog lights. I am waiting for them to come in. If they r bright I will get the 9005's for my headlights. I have a RT Limited 2015. I hear good news about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you want Brighter and safer lights go with the 9005 LED set from Xenon Dept. they are about $ 100.00 delivered and work great from all reports............Mike
    $55.00 delivered from amazon.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    $55.00 delivered from amazon.
    Amazon does not sell the same LED lamps. Not even close. NONE of the ones with the solid heat sinks on the back, with or without fan will fit or work on the Spyder.

Then there is the beam pattern which VERY few LED module get right or even work properly in a projector beam housing. THe Phillips modules do.

Spend the few bucks and do it right.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default correct LED for Spyder headlights

jcthorne:

Thanks for your quick response and correction; I was already on my way to Amazon to find the bargain basement $55 option. You helped me put the brakes on and kept me from making an unpleasant mistake!

It would be helpful to all of us forum followers if when an item is mentioned, we could be as specific as possible, with mfgr and/or PN or precise item name, as opposed to a vague reference like "those H4's someone has on eBay." ....or LED's or HID's or whatever we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Amazon does not sell the same LED lamps. Not even close. NONE of the ones with the solid heat sinks on the back, with or without fan will fit or work on the Spyder.

Then there is the beam pattern which VERY few LED module get right or even work properly in a projector beam housing. THe Phillips modules do.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to champion the obvious but what Mike is saying and has been said here before is that the 100w bulbs put out too much heat for our BRP plastic lamp sockets. If you have a set of these given time they will either melt the sockets or destroy themselves. If you spent real money for them and want to retain them then you must change out your BRP stock plastic sockets ASAP. I don't know where Mike got his ceramic sockets but you can do a google search and find them. The bottom line is,if you want these lamps you need to plan on changing the sockets out at the same time. When I change lamps I will be going to the 9005 leds from Xenon Depot or someone similar.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I am sorry to champion the obvious but what Mike is saying and has been said here before is that the 100w bulbs put out too much heat for our BRP plastic lamp sockets. If you have a set of these given time they will either melt the sockets or destroy themselves. If you spent real money for them and want to retain them then you must change out your BRP stock plastic sockets ASAP. I don't know where Mike got his ceramic sockets but you can do a google search and find them. The bottom line is,if you want these lamps you need to plan on changing the sockets out at the same time. When I change lamps I will be going to the 9005 leds from Xenon Depot or someone similar.
    DO NOT USE THE 100W Halogen BULBS PERIOD. The excess heat will still damage the housing it is not just the plug that melts. Even if you put ceramic bulb sockets in the heat is trapped inside the housing. Sometimes engineers DO know what is best. I am still on the fence about LEDs can anyone do a heat reading on the strap heat sinks from them? Has anyone noticed and warpage of the headlight rear cover?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    DO NOT USE THE 100W Halogen BULBS PERIOD. The excess heat will still damage the housing it is not just the plug that melts. Even if you put ceramic bulb sockets in the heat is trapped inside the housing. Sometimes engineers DO know what is best. I am still on the fence about LEDs can anyone do a heat reading on the strap heat sinks from them? Has anyone noticed and warpage of the headlight rear cover?

I did. They get barely warmer than ambient except in the very center where they are bundled and come out. Only a bit warmer there. I shot them with my temp gun and read 105 deg. It was 85 in my garage when I did it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Easy big fella! Tell me these aren't the same ones you installed and tell me I didn't get them at amazon. Most of you people shoot from the hip and know just enough to be dangerous. I am guilty of lowballing the price by 99 cents though, my bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Easy big fella! Tell me these aren't the same ones you installed and tell me I didn't get them at amazon. Most of you people shoot from the hip and know just enough to be dangerous. I am guilty of lowballing the price by 99 cents though, my bad.

I did not shoot from the hip. Those were not on Amazon recently when I looked. They do appear to be similar to the ones XenonDepot is selling. My apologies. I stand corrected.

Please let us know how they work.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SETTING THE RECOED STRAIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    .....These are real world ..FACTS.. not assumptions or guesses or hearsay...( pay attn. Dave )....The 100 watt halogen bulb ..DID NOT GET DAMAGED ... The plastic that holds the glass bulb...DID NOT GET DAMAGED ....( probably because the engineers designed the plastic to handle the heat from a 100 watt bulb !!!!! ) ....the only part that did get damaged was the OEM plastic plug, that goes into the bulb.....The rear housing was not damaged, the lens inside and outside was not damaged either....I did heat tests and neither got over 135 degree's F ( this was prior to the plug melting )......even with this info,.................... I DO NOT RECOMMEND 100 WATT BULBS......... even with Ceramic plugs ( rated @ 1800 F ) .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default led bulbs

Not to get into the middle of a heated discussion, but I installed the Xenon Depot bulbs over 6 months ago and have been VERY HAPPY, even after 23 hour rides. No problems, issues or concerns.
    The company was very assistive when I had questions.
    Seth

Spyder Garage

I did not shoot from the hip. Those were not on Amazon recently when I looked. They do appear to be similar to the ones XenonDepot is selling. My apologies. I stand corrected.

Please let us know how they work.
    Now you made me look them up again and I see they are $6.00 less than what I paid. Dammit.
    Last edited by Bensonoid; 11-01-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Ok,we all know if you shop around you might find same product cheaper. The main concern are they better than OEM .
    Would like feedback regarding the gentleman installing led's for fog lights, was it a major improvement over OEM. Also how do you adjust fog lights vertically?

Spyder Garage

Default LEd Fog Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Ok,we all know if you shop around you might find same product cheaper. The main concern are they better than OEM .
    Would like feedback regarding the gentleman installing led's for fog lights, was it a major improvement over OEM. Also how do you adjust fog lights vertically?

Eh Larry ... Mr. Bill here. I installed the Xenondepot headlights and fog lights just before we headed to Spyderquest in September. Boy what improvement over stock bulbs. Biggest difference was the headlights for distance and brightness but the fog lights were an improvement as well. Lots of that white light where you want it in the fog. I run both fog and headlights all the time when riding. I found no adjustment for the fog light they are pre-set from the factory. There is no excuse for someone to say they did not see you coming with the Xenondepot LED lights.
    I went one step further. I installed Clearwater Darla LED running lights as well. Clearwater are a bit pricy but I think worth every cent for the quality, custom mounting brackets, automatic dimmer switch, very good installation instructions and full wiring harness. Biggest thing that I like is the Darla's blinding bright white light. You cannot run full power in traffic ( even in the daylight ). When on the back roads and you turn them up along with the Xenondepot LED lights you can see clear as day forever in the distance. With high beam on at night from the front my Spyder looks like a 747 coming in for a landing on the airstrip, all of the blinding white light up front. On low beam just lots of low whit light where you want it.

Missed you at Spyder Quest, we will hook up in the spring for a ride.
    2013 RT Ltd. Black Currant, SpyderPops Bump Skid & Belt Guard, Bajarons Sway Bar & Heim Joints, BRP. Trailer Hitch, Trailer Hitch Luggage Carrier, Cat By-Pass, Wrapped pipes, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake light & Dual Brightsides, F4 Customs Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy seat & back rest, Rivco Armrests, LED mirror lights, Lidlox Helmet locks, Elka Stage 2 Frt. Shocks., Clearwater "Darla" LED driving lights, Tricled LED headlights & fog lights, Tricled fender LED lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Installed headlights tody

Mr Bill,

Very interested in your Darla running light idea. Any chance you could post a pic of where you mounted them and on what model Spyder? Will they mount on a F3 and where? Also, how do you adjust the brightness while riding, is there a remote handlebar switch??? Thanks in advance, a picture shot right is worth a thousand
    Posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blickdave; 10-31-2015 at 09:39 AM.