Thread: oil test

Spyder Garage

Default oil test

Got results back and it states viscosity is (csi 100c) 12.2
    The oil tested was amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil.
    12.2 don't mean much to me. What viscosity would that be???

Spyder Garage

Extrapolate from the cSt100 scale to the SAE engine oil scale on the link and you'll see that 12.2 is equal to a high 30 weight viscosity.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Viscosity shearing is explained in this link, fifth bullet from BRPCare.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0-Oil-Level-on

How many miles you have on the load of oil gives you an idea how well it is resisting shearing based on the degradation explained in the second link. If you have multiple thousand miles on the oil it is doing very well.
    Last edited by JayBros; 10-25-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm doing a test on new BRP oil vs used BRP oil (4600miles). I thought it would be interesting to see what viscosity the new oil starts at. Samples are at the lab now and I am awaiting results.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL TESTING

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I'm doing a test on new BRP oil vs used BRP oil (4600miles). I thought it would be interesting to see what viscosity the new oil starts at. Samples are at the lab now and I am awaiting results.
    " EXCELLENT ", thank you for doing this......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " EXCELLENT ", thank you for doing this......Mike
    You're welcome Mike, just want to get a baseline.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

If you're testing XPS synthetic blend 5W-40 right out of the sealed jug I think you'll find it's exactly as claimed, 5W-40. BRP would be absolute fools, which I don't think they are, to attempt selling an oil product that isn't what they claim to be -- way too much to lose legally. Then again...

To be completely unbiased on the original oil, samples from the same jug should be sent to at least two different labs. JMO.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Just want to get where the viscosity falls in the range. Is it a high 40 or a low 40.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445993524.655172.jpg
    OK so here is fresh BRP XPS blended oil. It shows as a mid 40 weight.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445993524.655172.jpg
    OK so here is fresh BRP XPS blended oil. It shows as a mid 40 weight.
    Am I reading that base number correctly? 6.5? That's piss poor IMO! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I don't know about how high it should be but the way it looks after 4600 miles in a 998 engine is what I'm after.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Am I reading that base number correctly? 6.5? That's piss poor IMO! Tom
    I'm way out on a limb with the chainsaw fired up but I think the base number you are citing is not significant in the viscosity discussion. Suggest you check this link http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...id-number-test and you'll see that the 6.5 does not represent the absolute acid concentration of the oil sample.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'm way out on a limb with the chainsaw fired up but I think the base number you are citing is not significant in the viscosity discussion. Suggest you check this link http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...id-number-test and you'll see that the 6.5 does not represent the absolute acid concentration of the oil sample.
    Your reference refers to the Acid Number which is a measure of the acidity in the oil, not Total Base Number. Total Base number is the reserve alakalinity available to counter future acid generation. Below are several excerpts from different sources explaining TBN. For reference, when I checked TBN on Amsoil 10/40 after 8100 miles in a 998 RT, it was 6.1. Amsoil states their 10/40 as shipped would have a typical TBN of 11.1. Not promoting Amsoil -- these are just points of reference to be added to the other data in this thread. Here are some excerpts on TBN:

From Blackstone Laboratories:
    In short, a TBN (total base number) measures the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil. The TBN is useful for people who want to extend their oil usage far beyond the normal range.
    The TBN of a used oil can aid the user in determining how much reserve additive the oil has left to neutralize acids. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. The TBN will start out reading in the 6.0 to 14.0 range (depending on whether the oil is for gas or diesel engines). When you first start using the oil the TBN tends to drop sharply. Then it levels out and drops more slowly after that. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower.

From Amsoil:
    Generally speaking, the higher an oil’s total base number (TBN), the better its ability to neutralize contaminants such as combustion by-products and acidic materials. TBN is a measure of (alkaline) additives in the oil. Higher TBN oils are able to neutralize a greater amount of acidic materials, which results in improved protection against corrosive reactions and longer oil life.
    TBN levels decrease as the oil remains in service. When the level reaches a point where it can no longer protect against corrosion, the oil must be changed.
    Oils that are formulated specifically for extended drain intervals typically display elevated TBN to ensure proper corrosion protection for the duration of the extended interval.

From the Petroleum Quality Institute:
    Total base number (TBN) is a measure of a reserve alkalinity of a lubricant. The test is relevant to internal combustion engines due to the acidic byproducts of combustion generated when gasoline and diesel fuel are burned. ...Whereas the process of generating acids will continue for the life of the engine, the ability of engine oil to neutralize the acids is finite. This is one reason engine oil needs to be changed. The basic properties of engine oil are eventually overcome by the constant generation of acids and the oil must be changed before the lubricant loses its ability to neutralize the acids. ...It should be noted that like "Tums: too much of anything is not necessarily good. In fact, whereas an overtreat of calcium sulfonate may be beneficial in neutralizing the acidic by-product of combustion, too much can generate higher levels of ash which can be damaging to an engine. In an effort to strike a balance, the total base number of a new oil is typically in the range of 7 to 10 for gas engines and 10 to 14 for diesel engines. When the TBN in a used oil drops below 3, it typically indicates the need for an oil change.

More than you ever wanted to know.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Well said gypsy. You beat me to it. TBN tells a lot about the quality of the oil. If it started out at 11 and dropped to 6.5. That is a large drop and may be time to dump it. I would. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Well said gypsy. You beat me to it. TBN tells a lot about the quality of the oil. If it started out at 11 and dropped to 6.5. That is a large drop and may be time to dump it. I would. Tom
    I was pleased it was still a respectable 6.1 after 8100 miles. The two references indicated you have a concern when it's less than 3 or less than 1 (take your pick). I did this test when changing the oil after a run to Alaska and was very pleased it held up that well for 8100 miles in a 998. Maybe it dropped a lot but where would it be if it had started out low?

Spyder Garage

Default Compare Viscosity and TBN

I would still want to consider how well the viscosity held up along with the TBN numbers. The above article is totally true but its mainly oriented towards auto's, none of which share oil with their gearbox's llike our Rotax motors do...and shear like crazy.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I would still want to consider how well the viscosity held up along with the TBN numbers. The above article is totally true but its mainly oriented towards auto's, none of which share oil with their gearbox's llike our Rotax motors do...and shear like crazy.
    No one is suggesting ignoring viscosity. Just trying to provide background info on another parameter -- TBN.

Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil 10W40 w/ 9,967 miles results

Just got this report yesterday from Oil Analyzers, Inc. in Indianapolis.

CANAM-SPYDER-E-I-046359-Sev2.pdf
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post

That oil held up well with that mileage. Looks like it holds up much better than the BRP stuff. I think I'm going with the Amsoil on the next change.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-02-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post

Nice report. Viscosity was down to mid-30 and TBN numbers still good. I don't get their comment about magnesium; its a
    wear additive and that number, 54, is about right for the Amsoil 10-40 that I've tested. Some oils use much less and others much much higher, 859 in a Castrol Blend in one test I did. Considering the fuel dilution, I'd suggest changing a bit earlier next time, perhaps around 8K, and see how that tests out. OVerall, super report and thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to see more long term reports and you've added to our knowledge base.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 11-02-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Analysis 2014 RT -- Amsoil

Attached is the oil analysis report for my 2014 RT SM6 1330. Oil went 4500 miles; 8,400 miles on the bike. Amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil. I am pleased that the viscosity is 13.18 cSt @ 100C, well within the range for a 40-weight which is 12.6 – 16.3. The TBN is also a healthy 8.7.

Blackstone has a lab tech review each analysis and offer comments which you can read on the attachment. I will offer my understanding of some of Blackstone’s reference numbers. Their “should be” column shows values Blackstone expects to see in a high-quality synthetic oil that has been in service. My guess is they don’t want people to panic if they see a value somewhat outside the original spec for brand-new oil. Some deterioration should be expected. If your sample is out of line compared to the “should be” range, then it may be cause for concern or at least something to think about. Their expected viscosity range is 11.6 – 14.8 – a little lower than what I quoted above for the 40-weight spec. In my case, it’s academic as the oil is well within their expected range and also within the range for brand new 40-weight oil. The “universal averages” column shows average residual element values for engines of this type. It’s “universal” in that it includes all oil brands and types. I inquired for more detail on that and Blackstone told me they have 20 Rotax 1330 samples in their database so far (not including samples from break-in oil samples which they keep separate). Not a lot of samples compared to a 5.7L Chevy or 5.0L Ford! Lastly, their recommendation that I could go 6500 miles the next time is not based on thinking the oil will be in poor condition at that mileage. Their policy is conservative. As long as the current sample looks good, their recommendation is to go up in 2,000-mile increments. If the 6500-mile sample looked good the next time, then they’d say it would be OK to go 8500 miles. This is just their way of doing things – they have no issue with BRP’s 9300-mile interval. They defer to the mfr to know what is best for their engines.

I will leave any further comments or comparison to other oils reported on the forum to the many sages much wiser than I.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default oil test

Has anyone tested the Rotella T6 ?

spyder stryder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL TEST

Gypsi , thanks for sharing..............Yes the viscosity is quite good, but considering the CLUTCH operation the MOLY reading was more than twice the average...................I find that surprising ........jmho...Mike