Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Oh Crap Moment!!

Saturday Oct 17th We were riding in a PGR mission, I was on my 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS, my wife was on her 2011 Honda Shadow Phantom. All was going good, we went up the onramp to the freeway merging in, a Harley from another group riding with us, had been in front of my wife and somehow dropped back and then sped up to gain her position back and didn't realize the group was slowing to let everyone catch up. The bike in front of my wife hit the brakes and smoked their tires, my wife locked hers up and would have not hit the bike in front of her, the other girl clipped my wifes bike which caused it to go down throwing my wife off onto the freeway. The other girl fell, or bailed off hers and landed out in front of me. I stomped on the Spyder's brakes and it hauled right down in a short distance stopping within inches of the girl on the ground. The Road captain behind me would have hit my wife if it hadn't been for his brand new BMW with Abs brakes. My wife was taken to the hosp with a badly bruised shoulder, a broken rib and a fractured pelvis in 3 places. Her Scorpion modular helmet was badly scratched but saved her from serious head injury. She did get road rash on both elbows and knees. It would have been a lot worse, thank god for our ABS brakes. She spent 5 days in the hosp, and cannot put any weight on the left side so will be using a walker or wheelchair for the next 8-12 weeks, Physical Therapy for most of that time, and will not regain normal walking for 8-10 months. Typical biker, she wanted pics of the bike while in the hosp to see how bad it was, she fully intends to get back on and ride when able.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that she survived this one...
    It's too bad that the other rider wasn't able to keep paying attention to what was going on around her...
    She wanted pictures...
    Your "Best-Half" sounds like a real fighter!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OMG your wife is a warrior. I'm sorry that this happened to you both.

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

Glad that your wife was not hurt worst.
    Also, that she wants to get back into the riding.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the outcome was not worse. Riding in a pack with people you are not familiar with can be dangerous. One moment of inattention and the whole thing can go bad quickly.

A group is only as strong as its weakest rider.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did. I hope your wife will have a speed recovery.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I'm so sorry, wishing & praying for both of you the best
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Glad it wasn't worst.
    hope she mends quickly.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Our thoughts and prayers for you both.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is the main reason that I don't like riding in groups. I know that sometimes it is inevitable, but on those occasions I personally will ride either way out in front, with the throttle locked on full, or preferably be the last man in the group. Never in the middle.

Glad to hear that your wife is on the mend and that it wasn't worse. Speedy recovery for both of you. Her, physically and mentally, and you, mentally.

Spyder Garage

Wishing you both a speedy recovery and many more happy miles.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear of your wife's injuries. Praying for a speedy recovery. Love the Scorpion modular.

Spyder Garage

I'm happy to hear everyone survived the incident I'm sorry you wife was injured but she sound as though she is already on the mend,. Give her something to look forward to aid in speedy recovery...fix her bike, replace her helmet, and any damage riding gear.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Jazzplayer2014
    2014 RT Limited
    Heated Seats
    Vented Windshield
    SM10 Headset
    SM10 (Bluetooth Dongle)

Spyder Garage

Best wishes for your wife's swift and complete recovery.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Praying for a speedy recovery! Seems like that other girl might need some schooling in riding with groups - just saying!!!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    Saturday Oct 17th We were riding in a PGR mission, I was on my 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS, my wife was on her 2011 Honda Shadow Phantom. All was going good, we went up the onramp to the freeway merging in, a Harley from another group riding with us, had been in front of my wife and somehow dropped back and then sped up to gain her position back and didn't realize the group was slowing to let everyone catch up. The bike in front of my wife hit the brakes and smoked their tires, my wife locked hers up and would have not hit the bike in front of her, the other girl clipped my wifes bike which caused it to go down throwing my wife off onto the freeway. The other girl fell, or bailed off hers and landed out in front of me. I stomped on the Spyder's brakes and it hauled right down in a short distance stopping within inches of the girl on the ground. The Road captain behind me would have hit my wife if it hadn't been for his brand new BMW with Abs brakes. My wife was taken to the hosp with a badly bruised shoulder, a broken rib and a fractured pelvis in 3 places. Her Scorpion modular helmet was badly scratched but saved her from serious head injury. She did get road rash on both elbows and knees. It would have been a lot worse, thank god for our ABS brakes. She spent 5 days in the hosp, and cannot put any weight on the left side so will be using a walker or wheelchair for the next 8-12 weeks, Physical Therapy for most of that time, and will not regain normal walking for 8-10 months. Typical biker, she wanted pics of the bike while in the hosp to see how bad it was, she fully intends to get back on and ride when able.
    As my next door neighbor likes to say, frequently, to me....."be careful". Not sure why he is always saying it to me, but it seems to be good advice. Praying for her quick recovery and hope she will be back on three soon.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Oh Crap Moment-Update

Bad news is the bike is totaled, not replacing it with another 2 wheeler. Good news is that it's replacement will be a spyder. Patti is showing improvement daily and in another month may be using a cane instead of crutches or walker. After looking at damage to the side of the modular we became believers in a full face or good modular helmet. A few more weeks of physical therapy should improve things greatly. Thanks everyone for the prayers and kind words, what a great bunch of folks spyder owners are! P.S. we ARE riding to the Deadwood 3 wheel rally this coming July!
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm so glad to hear that she's well on her way to recovery!
    Bikes can always be replaced... People: not so much!

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear about the accident and hope everyone mends up well!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! So sorry to hear of the accident, so happy it wasn't worse. Best wishes for a speedy, speedy recovery for your wife.
    When she feels up to it, Spyder shopping might be an excellent form of therapy.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Get well soon!

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hoping on a speedy recovery for your wife.. yes get the Spyder as a replacement, it will help brighten her days as she return to riding.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery for your wife and you also.

Just reading the initial post scared me because I could just see it happening.

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Oh Crap Moment-Update

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Wow! So sorry to hear of the accident, so happy it wasn't worse. Best wishes for a speedy, speedy recovery for your wife.
    When she feels up to it, Spyder shopping might be an excellent form of therapy.
    ~Sandee~
    Patti is doing quite well all things considered, still doing physical therapy for a couple months yet. We did the settlement on the totaled bike and put the money away toward down payment. As Sandee said spyder shopping is great therapy, we stopped at our local dealer yesterday and visited with the salesman who is a long time friend of mine to tell him what we would be looking for in either a slightly used 2014 or newer, or brand new. She also gingerly got up onto a new 2015 RTS Special series just to begin spyder therapy Lol. We can hardly wait for the Deadwood 3 wheel rally in July and will be taking the one bike, figuring trade-ins will happen toward sept or so as the salesman estimates. We WILL be a 2 spyder family!
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that she's making progress...
    If you can get her the 2016 Spyder, and 2016 Accessory catalogs; I bet that she'll heal even faster!!