Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Death Road in Bolivia...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default high altitude and engine performance

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    There are two roads at or above 18,000. One in India and one in Bolivia. Who would of thunk it! However no Spyders have been reported there. Anyone?

Jack
    *I had 25' motorhome with a Ford 460 cu in engine & 4:11 rear end. Going through Eisenhower Tunnel in the Colorado Rockies at 12,000' I managed to hit 35 mph with foot on the floor in 2nd gear for over a mile+. I talked to another guy at a parking site & I asked him how well his 30' motorhome did towing a car up through the same tunnel. He said he just flew up through it with his Chevy 454 cu in power; I told him I couldn't get above 35 mph in 2nd gear; then he replied he was in 1st gear at 17mph.
    14,000 would be a stretch---16000--18000' highly unlikely..... Althought Kathmandu is waiting
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    In simple terms yes, there is no problem. Reading your signature line shows you run an Akrapovic pipe. Are you running the cat bypass also? If so, you may find the 93 will let the timing not retard and give you more bottom to mid performance.

In regards to reading these other posts, many have mentioned pre ignition. Octane is the fuels ability to have a controlled burn under pressure. If the fuel explodes rather than burns you have detonation, this is bad if not controlled. Pre ignition is different from detonation. Pre ignition is when something other than the spark plug begins the burning of the fuel. Often it is blamed on hot exhaust valve edges, carbon or a sharp cross section in the combustion chamber, even an improper spark plug heat range.

Depending upon various design factors, unless an engine has the ability to operate on higher octane efficiently, the higher octane can produce less power. However if the engine design can "tune" itself, additional performance may be gained.

We have always run 93 with Yamalube Fuel Med Rx in our 14 RTs. Stock pipe with a cat bypass.

PK
    KEY DEFINITIONS
    Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition: Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.
    Some detonation is fairly common in some engines & results with no failure problems
    Pre-ignition aka knocking will cause damage to the engine...
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black