Thread: The Nanny....?

Spyder Garage

Default The Nanny....?

I changed my oil and filters today and all went well...4.5 qts looks pretty precise to me. But, here's my question. I jacked up the trike and when I let it down one side was lower than the other. All well and good right? So when I start up the limp mode is on as is the flashing engine light. The oil light went out almost immediately although I had only 4 qts in the engine at that point.

Well, having this come on before and asking here, I took out key, did some more "tupperware" installation and started up again. The limp mode is still on. I guess I'll give it overnight but has anyone experienced the same thing?

Nanny is a PiTA sometimes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You said that one side was lower than the other...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEHelms View Post
    I changed my oil and filters today and all went well...4.5 qts looks pretty precise to me. But, here's my question. I jacked up the trike and when I let it down one side was lower than the other. All well and good right? So when I start up the limp mode is on as is the flashing engine light. The oil light went out almost immediately although I had only 4 qts in the engine at that point.

Well, having this come on before and asking here, I took out key, did some more "tupperware" installation and started up again. The limp mode is still on. I guess I'll give it overnight but has anyone experienced the same thing?

Nanny is a PiTA sometimes.
    did you move the key away from the bike far enough to break the connection between the chips?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

How and from where did you lift the machine..?? If all you changed was oil and filter/s the spyder should still sit level on the ground. Hard to say but something seems outta place. what model are we talking about..?
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny...

It's a 2010 RT and to be more specific, when I let the jack down the left side came down before the right..nothing major, but the bottom line is it didn't come down level. I only mentioned it because it's the only variable I can think of that might influence the "nanny".

I didn't take the key any distance from the machine but it has been overnight and I'll start it up this morning and see if the thing has "healed" overnight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! I take your description to mean that the bike now sits level...
    Try it today, and if it still isn't running right; pull the active error codes...
    Push in the mode and set buttons with a thumb...
    Then, push in the turnsignal switch. (While holding the other two in...)
    Do this while the bike is running, and showing lots of Orange on the main screen, and the screen will list out the active codes.
    Write them down, and let us know what you see.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny...

OK, I just checked and the "limp" is still on. Checked the codes and it's showing P1171 and P0524. Both have to do with the fuel/injection system. I'm guessing the angle of lowering the machine may have triggered something because other than the codes it's running fine.

Now I guess they will either clear themselves with time or I'll have to have the dealer clear them. PIA...
    Last edited by TEHelms; 10-19-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

According to mySpyder, P1171 is System too lean bank 1 and P0524 is Engine oil pressure too low, Damaged or switch wires ECM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you ride around the block or so and see if all cleared? My jack always lowers unevenly, I doubt if that is an issue.

Spyder Garage

Default The Nanny...

Started it up, warning light still flashing and rode down the street. I had some initial hesitation like the limp mode was going to continue...but then it cleared up and the light went off. Warmed it up slowly and then opened it up..flawless. Came back and just as I was going to shut it down the low oil light came on. I did shut it down and checked the oil which was fine and then the codes again. They came up the same, P1171, P0524 and P0000. Shut it down, started it up again and the two previous codes had cleared but the P0000 was still there! Looked up the P0000 which evidently doesn't exist.

I think all is fine and this thing's computer sure will give you strange stuff sometimes.