Spyder Garage

Default HMF Exhaust Repack

I've had my HMF Exhaust for a couple of years now and it has gotten really loud, not that I mind. I like it loud, but the exhaust note was too raspy for me at higher revs. HMF recommends repacking the can every forty to fifty hours of usage and I can tell you that I have far exceeded that! So, I ordered the repack kit for about $65 plus shipping from HMF and started watching some youtube videos on the subject. The repack was very easy to do with the correct tools. If you choose to repack your HMF exhuast using the factory kit, you will need a pnuematic riveter to pop the supplied steel rivets. I would not recommend aluminum rivets because the metal is too soft and will fail. Here are some photos I took to show what the internals of my HMF pipe looked like...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default HMF Repacking

Here are a few pictures of the repacking process.
    The first pic shows the new stainless steel wool blanket about to be tightly wrapped around the central core of the pipe.
    The second pic shows the fiberglass "pillow" (it really did look like a pillow) also tightly wrapped around the stainless steel wool.
    The last pic is the can reassembled and ready to go!

I installed it and let the engine run for about 5 minutes, however, I should have run the engine at idle speed for about 15 minutes. I'll take care of that in the mornin'!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Update

No problem, DrewNJ!

Oh, after idling the engine with the newly repacked pipe for 15 minutes, you will see and smell smoke coming from the pipe. This is a normal occurrence and is to be expected. It will stop smoking after a few miles of riding.

After driving a few miles, the raspyness is gone and that nice, HMF sound is back!