Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change question

I own a 2014 RTS SE6. I had the oil changed by a dealer last Oct. (2014) for it's initial oil change at 3,000 miles. Now, my question is, I now have just under 8,000 miles on the Spyder and would like to have the oil changed either before I put it away for the season, or should I wait until next spring? I know the new 1330 triple can go 9,300 miles between changes, but my personal target is every 5,000 miles. Don't quite have 5,000 on her yet, thus the question. The oil is still at the full mark, and doesn't really look all that dirty. Thanks in advance!!

LEEB

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

My personal preference is to store it with fresh oil, but that's just me. I'm sure there are good arguments for either choice. I like to think that I drain any acidic crap, and other gunk out so it doesn't sit and settle in places it doesn't belong during storage. Then in the spring it'll be fresh to fire up and ride. Again, just my thoughts....I have no science to base my thoughts on. I guess in theory synthetic oil shouldn't "spoil" or suspend any "junk"
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The 1330 requires oil change every 9300 miles OR one year which ever comes first. Its due for service NOW, not next year.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I heartily agree. To me it makes absolutely no sense to let an engine sit with a load of oil that has accumulated byproducts of the combustion, cooling and lubrication process sit in storage. Change it now for storage and come spring, you just check the tires, disconnect the battery tender, light it off and go.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    My personal preference is to store it with fresh oil
    Just had my first service done @6 months/2400 miles because our first freeze is coming this weekend. It'll have fresh oil and be ready to go next Spring.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone!!! Sounds like everyone is of one accord on the response to my oil change question. 'Miss Pearl' will have fresh oil before she takes her winter nap!! However, it may be awhile yet before she is tucked in. I don't mind cold weather riding, I just don't like, nor will I ride once the roads are affected by snow or treatments. I rode yesterday with the morning temps in the 30's and then getting pelted by sleet later in the ride. The RT-S offers a good deal of protection from the elements for the rider. I was comfy, but my Harley and metric brothers were all complaining about the cold. Thanks again everyone!!!!!

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'