Spyder Garage

Default Considering buying a 2009 GS 55 R but it's 400 miles away!

I've found a 2009 GS 55 R but it's 450 miles away so I have a couple of questions that perhaps you can answer before I fly up there to drool on it in person (!) If it's a go, then I get to ride it home!

What is the seating position?
    I am more of a touring/cruising rider than a "sport" rider but I can't seem to find a touring model that I can afford. My back isn't in the greatest shape so I can't be leaning forward. I'm not a big guy, 5' 6" so what do you think I can expect?

I found a 2008 Spyder GS SM5 that's not too far from me - how close would that seating position be to the 2009 GS 55 R? I don't know the models for those years so I don't know how similar they are.

Is the seating position adjustable in any way on the 2008 and/or 2009?

Also...

My left toe has problems from shifting a 2-wheeler for 50 years, so is there a heel-toe shifter available, or at least room to rig one up? (The bike I'm looking at is manual shift)

Anything else I should know or look for? The bike has only 2500 miles and has been kept garaged..

Thanks everyone!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 09 and 08 are virtually the same so if you go check out the 08 that is close to you, you will have a good idea of the one that is 450 miles away. The RS is a sport riding position but it can be made more upright with the addition of risers, etc.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can add a heel toe shifter to either of the bikes you are looking at.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

here is a picture or my gs and it is the sport lean forward ,but I put rosers on it and it wasent too bad.but I traded for an rt because it hert my knees after a long ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Can't go wrong

With either one. Great bikes. They are both the same . I think ISCI makes a heel toe shifter. You will also need floorboards. I would look really hard at the one that's close to you. Good Luck.

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Hi!

I own a 2009 GS and the seating position is definitely not cruising/touring. I call this the "crotch rocket" model because you are in more of a forward leaning position. If you want to get more of a cruising/touring ride, you would probably need to look at the base ST model; it has a more upright seating position. I believe the cost will be a little more than the GS/RS but not as much as the RT. I went with the GS because it was my first motorcycle (ever) and I had never been on a and didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that I may not even like. You can always take the GS/RS and change the seat, foot pegs, and add risers but you'll probably spend more $$ doing that than just buying an ST.

Happy Spydering!

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Wow! A lot of helpful info in a very short time... thanks to every one.

Brett: by "base ST" are you referring to a newer model or is there a 2008/2009 ST? What is the first year that they made an ST-model?

I'm going to try to get out today to look at the 2008 that's for sale at a dealer. It, too, has exceptionally low miles.

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/O...-SE5-115921039
    Last edited by DaveB; 10-16-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

the 08 at the dealer looks to be in great shape plus its an se5 so no shifting problems for you, you can add handlebar risers to that bike and you will be all set. the price seems to be right in line with what i would expect for my upstate ny area also.

good luck!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

but I am curious...what is a 2009 GS 55R..??
    I am 6'1" ryde an RS have back issues and limited right foot movement but can ryde 600 miles without any problems. Guess it would depend on the type of back problems...test ryde them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2008 first year for Spyder model is called the GS.
    2009 they called it an RS but was pretty much the same as the GS
    2010 the RT was introduced
    2013 the ST was introduced
    2014 the RT gets the 1330 engine
    2015 the F3 is launched and it has the 1330
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Your questions did get answered very quick.

I had one of each model year. Good machines, and virtually trouble free. I put three inch risers on my handlebars in order to get a more upright seating position. That worked well. The silver one is 2008 and the red 2009.

Just noticed I had the same picture three years later at the same place. Note the difference in the glacier.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-16-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your questions did get answered very quick.

I had one of each model year. Good machines, and virtually trouble free. I put three inch risers on my handlebars in order to get a more upright seating position. That worked well. The silver one is 2008 and the red 2009.

Thank you for the info. Were the controls and wiring ok for a 3" riser or did you have to modify them so it would fit? Is this the one you got? http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Spyder...s=spyder+riser

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Thank you for the info. Were the controls and wiring ok for a 3" riser or did you have to modify them so it would fit? Is this the one you got? http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Spyder...s=spyder+riser
    I've a 2008, and purchased it new. The 3" risers only required you to cut some wire ties to have enough slack in the wires for the install; also, the handle bars were cut. I purchased 4" risers from ESI; what you've linked to is a riser block. I thought the blocks were 1".

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/Spyd...RiserKits.html

The ESI and Custom Dynamics are not the only risers out there. There are others, and cheaper.
    Last edited by wyliec; 10-16-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Possible for sale

Do you know what model you are looking for and your price range. I have a 2012 RT that I am considering to sell, I want a 2016. I live in the high desert.

Spyder Garage

At the time, there were no 3" risers available. My dealer manufactured some for he and myself. They did the install, and I do not believe there was any modification needed for the controls.

The 1" risers in the ad above are pretty much useless. I had them on both before I switched to the 3".

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Read Carefully

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    At the time, there were no 3" risers available. My dealer manufactured some for he and myself. They did the install, and I do not believe there was any modification needed for the controls.

The 1" risers in the ad above are pretty much useless. I had them on both before I switched to the 3".
    I believe some of the riser kits claim they will only work if you DO NOT have the 1" factory riser block installed...probably due to cable reach. I presume you are saying you removed the 1" useless block?

Spyder Garage

I don't even have a bike yet, I'm just trying to do my homework about what I may need with a 2009 GS and the ramifications of getting it. I saw the 1" block and thought that it was the same as a "riser."

Thanks to Wileyc I have discovered what risers really are and yes, I saw that they specifically stated that they would not work if the block was installed. I, too, figured that it was due to cable reach.

BTW (for everyone) - I was going to go see the 2008 that was being offered at a dealer but they said "no test drives." Seemed pretty strange. I'm not in such a hurry to go see it now, but I guess I can learn something just from sitting on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Am View Post
    I believe some of the riser kits claim they will only work if you DO NOT have the 1" factory riser block installed...probably due to cable reach. I presume you are saying you removed the 1" useless block?
    Yes, we removed the 1" block.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't even have a bike yet, I'm just trying to do my homework about what I may need with a 2009 GS and the ramifications of getting it. I saw the 1" block and thought that it was the same as a "riser."

Thanks to Wileyc I have discovered what risers really are and yes, I saw that they specifically stated that they would not work if the block was installed. I, too, figured that it was due to cable reach.

BTW (for everyone) - I was going to go see the 2008 that was being offered at a dealer but they said "no test drives." Seemed pretty strange. I'm not in such a hurry to go see it now, but I guess I can learn something just from sitting on it.
    Yes you can definitely get a feel for the riding position by just sitting on the different models. Also, give MUCH consideration to the SE5 option to completely eliminate toe/shifting issues. It doesn't take away the thrill of the ride at all! I may remove my factory 1"block and install risers at some point, but right now I still like the sporty ride position of the RSS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

08 gs, 1 inch block riser, highway pegs, both a cruiser and a crotch rocket, still gotta stop for fuel about every 4 hours, so can have a rest/stretch whatever or even stop sooner if you want, am almost 6 foot and have done some fairly long rides. just my opinion. Still loving it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If you modify the GS or RS.......

As you can see mine has all the comforts of home 5.5 inch Heli Bar risers,
    Rivco floor boards front and rear, road pegs. an up right seating position
    and you can stretch out on it and ride... I even have arm rests for the passenger
    the GS automatic has been good to me
    Dave

I've found a 2009 GS 55 R but it's 450 miles away so I have a couple of questions that perhaps you can answer before I fly up there to drool on it in person (!) If it's a go, then I get to ride it home!

What is the seating position?
    I am more of a touring/cruising rider than a "sport" rider but I can't seem to find a touring model that I can afford. My back isn't in the greatest shape so I can't be leaning forward. I'm not a big guy, 5' 6" so what do you think I can expect?

I found a 2008 Spyder GS SM5 that's not too far from me - how close would that seating position be to the 2009 GS 55 R? I don't know the models for those years so I don't know how similar they are.

Is the seating position adjustable in any way on the 2008 and/or 2009?

Also...

My left toe has problems from shifting a 2-wheeler for 50 years, so is there a heel-toe shifter available, or at least room to rig one up? (The bike I'm looking at is manual shift)

Anything else I should know or look for? The bike has only 2500 miles and has been kept garaged..

Thanks everyone!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is a good deal and the bike is right . BUY IT. You can alway's farkle it out later.... Just like most of us have alraedy done, or moved on too a different ride. But It still say's SPYDER. Good luck. Me personally, my 08 gs, done what I need to do, lighting, stereo, highway pegs, and other small thing's. STILL LOVING THE RIDE.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ours is an 08 GS/RS, helibar riser kit and the BRP comfort seat made the riding position less sporty and more like the ST. Best thing about the helibar kit is NO CUTTING of the stock handlebar so it can be refitted as stock if/when you want or when selling to a buyer who might not like the upright position.

If the price is right and it's in good condition, the money you save over a newer ST or F3 etc, you can use for accessories and get it set up the way you want.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-18-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

[IMG][/IMG]I have a 2009 GS and put the Kewlmetal adjustable risers on it, they are great risers but a really bad company to deal with (shame they have such great stuff!). Looking at the Web Boards or Seal Boards now for even better riding position and comfort for my wife and possibly highway pegs. Every upgrade makes it a better ride for her, the risers took away the shoulder pain and I think the boards will make the longer rides more enjoyable too!
    Last edited by ironmk; 10-27-2015 at 01:02 PM.