Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Factory Quality Control (is there any???)

So I bought an F3 about 3 weeks ago, never even saw one up close a month ago, did some research here and a few other places looked good to me and I needed something with reverse. Now don't get me wrong I think it's runs perfect,shifting is great, neutral a little tough to find at times but that's probably I just need practice, no twitchy corners any more but steering seems a bit tough or hard push pull through long corners. After being here for a while now I have started checking some things I've read about, (Belt Tension) bought a tension gauge not tight enough, (Belt Alignment) I could see that was off, adjusted both, now the (Wheel Alignment) it goes straight down the road no wandering, no left or right pull, so i figured they got that right, (Wrong) I have a rotary laser shows a straight line on floor ceiling walls or anything in between, set line square to the rear wheel "rim" line equal at the front and rear of rim at axle height, went to the front wheel same measurements at same height showed 1/8 toe out, went to the other side did the same it also showed 1/8 toe out, I can say the front end is squared to the rear now if it just had toe in instead of out it would probably go through those corners a bit easier. ( Quality Control ) I don't think so and this doesn't happen in shipping unless they are dropping crates from 30 feet.
    Last edited by Lastchance; 10-15-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

there are some factors involved here. Granted from the factory things aren't always perfect (same with most things). The alignment from the factory is not laser (may be now ) so it may be in alignment from the factory the way its done there..off the frame I believe. It can get out of alignment in shipping (shipped wheels off and bolted to the crate ). From the many out of alignment I would think the dealer would be the one to make sure they are aligned at delivery. Same goes for the tension and belt alignment. Considering they are not fully assembled these are things the dealer should correct...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The subject came up in a recent thread. Here is a little back and forth from it.

Originally Posted by missouriboy Dealer? Or BRP?

Question: Does such alignment correct the dealer's set-up work? Or the original factory set-up?

Y'know, when ya buy a brand-new 4-wheel cage or truck, the alignment is already perfect and no extra $ need to be spent right out of the delivery door. Why is that not true on a ~$30K Spyder?

Alignment service is properly known as re-alignment, after you have inadvertently compromised the original alignment - right?" End Quote

Many dealers look at alignment as a "factory done" thing on new vehicles. Add to that, some dealers that just "check the boxes" on the set up sheet and do nothing other than put on the wheels.

It seems to now be a proven fact, that factory set up does not a perfect alignment make. How customer oriented a particular dealer is, then is the next step.

This is why we occasionally (not as much lately), hear how the Spyder just purchased drives like a POS right out of the box.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Belt tension should have been caught by your dealer during the P.D.I.
    As far as alignment of the bike; spend the money, and have it laser-aligned.
    You'll be glad that you did!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-15-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Factory alignment

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The subject came up in a recent thread. Here is a little back and forth from it.

Originally Posted by missouriboy Dealer? Or BRP?

Question: Does such alignment correct the dealer's set-up work? Or the original factory set-up?

Y'know, when ya buy a brand-new 4-wheel cage or truck, the alignment is already perfect and no extra $ need to be spent right out of the delivery door. Why is that not true on a ~$30K Spyder?

Alignment service is properly known as re-alignment, after you have inadvertently compromised the original alignment - right?" End Quote

Many dealers look at alignment as a "factory done" thing on new vehicles. Add to that, some dealers that just "check the boxes" on the set up sheet and do nothing other than put on the wheels.

It seems to now be a proven fact, that factory set up does not a perfect alignment make. How customer oriented a particular dealer is, then is the next step.

This is why we occasionally (not as much lately), hear how the Spyder just purchased drives like a POS right out of the box.
    I know this has been discussed much, but a Spyder should come from the factory properly aligned and with the correct belt tension... period. No amount of rationalization will change that.

Spyder Garage

I really think factory quality control is falsely blamed for dealer screwups or shortcomings on many occasions.. I have been on a detailed tour of the production line in Valcourt and the quality control is amazing and thorough. To double check their quality control they consistently pull a crate at random off the shipping lot periodically and assemble and full test the unit themselves with excellent results. People who deal with a high quality dealer don't seem to have the so called quality problems while people who have dealers not so thorough have lots. I have owned four Spyders purchased from the same dealer and have yet to have a quality issue. My F3 has over 15000 miles in 8 months and my cumulative miles are now just short of 130000 so I have definitely tested them.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The short of it seem to be that

BRP sluffs off it's final quality control on to dealers who are incapable, for many reasons, to be competent in putting out a spyder that is road ready. Three wheelers, being a fairly new product in the scene, will soon see competition and if BRP continues to allow non-road ready machines to be sold, the market will react and BRP will suffer.

Spyder Garage

I am happy with my Spyder....BUT;
    -The fit and finish.....a lot of little issues with the paint quality. A brand new product should be near perfect.
    -it should come from the factory....laser and properly aligned.

My biggest issue:
    Dealers

-need better trained mechanics
    -more reasonable service rates
    -followup back to the customer from BRP in dealing with Dealer complaints.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If this happened in shipping I'm going to need an alignment every time I leave my neighborhood as it's way more brutal than any shipping crate that's being transported by a forklift or any other means. I will have the laser done in the spring as it's 100 miles to the nearest and snow is predicted in the next few days.