Thread: Dealers

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers

Hey guys, I know this has been asked and answered before, but I am hoping for a more recent report. I just purchased a 2014 rt limited from an individual in Georgia. The previous owner had purchased 4 prepaid services that are transferable to me but I have to take it back to the original dealer that it was purchased. So, is it worth it to take it back to them?
    And my second question is who do you guys recomend I use for service in Alabama. I am in the Birmingham area?
    2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

How much will it cost you to transfer the service to you? Also, how much will it cost you to travel to GA for the service? I would probably find a local dealer and find out how much they charge for these services and compare that to what it will cost you to take advantage of the prepaid service and then make your decision. Sorry I can't help with AL area dealers but hopefully someone will chime in for you.

Good luck.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    How much will it cost you to transfer the service to you? Also, how much will it cost you to travel to GA for the service? I would probably find a local dealer and find out how much they charge for these services and compare that to what it will cost you to take advantage of the prepaid service and then make your decision. Sorry I can't help with AL area dealers but hopefully someone will chime in for you.

Good luck.
    The cost is $50 to transfer the prepaid service to me. The previous owner did a service at 600 miles. So, next would be 3000 miles I think. But I don't know how much a service is???

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

That will depend on the dealer. You could call the B'ham dealers and ask them what they charge for the 3,000 mile service. You will probably get as many different answers as there are dealers.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The dealer in Birmingham (Big #1 Motorsports) has been rather blunt in the past -- if you didn't buy it there, you go to the back of the line. They don't work on an appointment basis; you drop it off, and they'll call you when its done. Could be a couple of weeks, depending on their workload. Unless you buy into their "diamond care" program which guarantees you literally go to the head of the line ahead of anyone else. But they quoted me $1200 for that privilege. I passed.

There's a new Can Am dealer in Montgomery. They're still in the learning curve mode, but at least they're local (for me). And they do appointments.

Spyder Garage

Do you know what was done at the 600 miler service? Since the first service on a 2014 RT is not scheduled until 3,000 miles the 600 miler could have been a courtesy service for which the PO paid little or nothing or the PO was given bum scoop and the dealer got unnecessarily into his knickers and charged for service that was not necessary. Look in your operator's guide, page 120, to see what's done in the 3K service, compare it to what was done at 600 and, if you have the proper tools and a little mechanical skill you can do the oil and filter change yourself -- it's not difficult and you'll get hands on experience tinkering with your Spyder. There are numerous threads here about doing it and Shawn Smoak has a very explanatory two part video on doing it.

If you inquire of several dealers you should get estimates of $225 - $280 (high IMO) for the 3K service with $250 being a reasonable median. Mine was $248.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    The dealer in Birmingham (Big #1 Motorsports) has been rather blunt in the past -- if you didn't buy it there, you go to the back of the line. They don't work on an appointment basis; you drop it off, and they'll call you when its done. Could be a couple of weeks, depending on their workload. Unless you buy into their "diamond care" program which guarantees you literally go to the head of the line ahead of anyone else. But they quoted me $1200 for that privilege. I passed.

There's a new Can Am dealer in Montgomery. They're still in the learning curve mode, but at least they're local (for me). And they do appointments.
    Thanks fat, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Unfortunately, that's the same kind of stuff I have been hearing about Big #1. It's a shame, they are the closest to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Do you know what was done at the 600 miler service? Since the first service on a 2014 RT is not scheduled until 3,000 miles the 600 miler could have been a courtesy service for which the PO paid little or nothing or the PO was given bum scoop and the dealer got unnecessarily into his knickers and charged for service that was not necessary. Look in your operator's guide, page 120, to see what's done in the 3K service, compare it to what was done at 600 and, if you have the proper tools and a little mechanical skill you can do the oil and filter change yourself -- it's not difficult and you'll get hands on experience tinkering with your Spyder. There are numerous threads here about doing it and Shawn Smoak has a very explanatory two part video on doing it.

If you inquire of several dealers you should get estimates of $225 - $280 (high IMO) for the 3K service with $250 being a reasonable median. Mine was $248.
    The PO had purchased 4 pre-paid services with mountain motorsports in Marietta Ga. I found the 600 mile service paperwork. Just says 4 seadoo oil and filter for $70.95 and 600 mile service for $260. For a total of $345.95. So when should I do the next service?
    And SEMPER FI