Thread: Buffeting....

Spyder Garage

Default Buffeting....

Hi all,

the BR shield is crap and even with the aftermarket extension it is still crap. I was riding the other day and the buffeting was so bad it was activating the voice control on my Sena intercom. It is normally activated by double tapping the unit with your hand....

i have to replace this thing.. Hey F4, how about a Columbus Day sale!!!

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    Hi all,

the BR shield is crap and even with the aftermarket extension it is still crap. I was riding the other day and the buffeting was so bad it was activating the voice control on my Sena intercom. It is normally activated by double tapping the unit with your hand....

mark
    Which BRP shield do you have?
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    Which BRP shield do you have?
    BR = Blue Ridge, I agree, but it got me to switch to a full face helmet, even in the summer, so I am safer for it.
    2015 F3 S se6
    2014 Jaguar F-Type V8S
    2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Supercharged
    2005 Roush Mustang Supercharged
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 for towing/snowplowing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drive the car, problem solved.

Drive a motorcycle your going to get wind, rain, bugs, birds, rocks, occasional dog turd, etc. no way to stop it all.

Spyder Garage

Default here to help! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    Hi all,

mark
    Hey Mark,
    We are a dealer for F4 Customs. We Highly recommend the Windshield for the F3 For many reasons.
    Custom Designed to fit the F3 Fairing
    • No air comes up from under the F3 Windshield as with competitive systems
    • Much less wind buffeting than the competition
    • Much more curve in the F3 Windshield than in the competitions, which are fairly flat, thus greatly reducing back pressure and turbulence.
    • Greater lean back angle which also reduces back pressure and turbulence.
    • Much, much less install time. Estimated time is 10 to 15 minutes.

If you are looking for even more Air Flow Control we offer a line of Air Wings that will help with the buffeting you are experiencing.

• Easily Adjusted to Direct Cooler Air to Rider in Hot Weather.
    • Does an Impressive Job of Blowing Away Engine Heat in Hot Weather.
    • Keeps You Warmer and Dryer in Cold and Wet Weather by Deflecting Cold Air Flow Away from Rider.
    • Reduces Wind and Rain on Legs, Knees, Thighs and Body

Thank You for your time and consideration

-Air Wing Team

Spyder Garage

Default Buffeting...

not really sure what that is..I think we called it wind in your face and sheilds just re-direct it. Now is there this buffeting if you have no windshield..?? I never had this problem but did put a larger windsheild with a flip but only to reduce wind noise on the freeway (which I seldom ryde on). Also ryde with a modular helmet.
    The F4 is probably the way to go for you being larger and all. That way if to big you can trim it down. Guess there are no loners to test but plexiglass is cheap at home depot and you could cut and clamp to test what height you would need to help this buffeting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Even though I agree that "wind in your face" can be a very enjoyable experience, and a natural part of riding; when you are doing a multi-day road trip at 80+ mpg (some states have the speed limit of 85 and people around you are doing 90+ so you'd better keep up or get squished), a proper windshield is a must in order to avoid deafened ears and a scrambled brain. It would be lovely to have an easily adjustable windshield which can be lowered for the wind in your face feel but raised when you need it. I too bought a BR windshield. It is sturdy, good looking but provides lots of buffeting at 75+, even for a "shorty" like me (and I am 5'5").
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

I have the BR shield with the Xcreen Touring extension. Im 6foot tall and not of small build. I had no screen at all to start with and felt like once I got too 60mph I had to almost white knuckle to hold on. Since adding the screen I get little or no buffeting and can ride with my visor up on my fullface Shoei Neotech at up to 50mph. It took a lot of messing around and adjusting the xcreen, but to be honest I would rather have the BR screen than some of the aftermarket screens that resemble in my opinion a shopfront window.
    Last edited by Colin; 10-13-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have the BR shiels with the Xcreen Touring extension. Im 6foot tall and not of small build. I had no screen at all to start with and felt like once I got too 60mph I had to almost white knuckle to hold on. Since adding the screen I get little or no buffeting and can ride with my visor up on my fullface Shoei Neotech at up to 50mph. It took a lot of messing around and adjusting the xcreen, but to be honest I would rather have the BR screen than some of the aftermarket screens that resemble in my opinion a shopfront window.
    and remember some of these large after market windscreens will not be effective in crosswinds and may even cause problems as the wind catches these large sails.

Spyder Garage

We removed both BR from our F3's and went with the F4. We put a 25" on my wife's F3 and I went with the 28". There is absolutely no buffeting, at least up to 100 mph. As far as the concern of cross winds it was not an issue with the RT or the Goldwing which had the F4 windshields. The effect behind the windshield is a com wind around you which can change with conditions and direction of travel relative to wind direction.

Spyder Garage

almost 8,000 miles on the f3s with just a gauge spoiler! 63 years old and loving the wind in the face!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    We removed both BR from our F3's and went with the F4. We put a 25" on my wife's F3 and I went with the 28". There is absolutely no buffeting, at least up to 100 mph. As far as the concern of cross winds it was not an issue with the RT or the Goldwing which had the F4 windshields. The effect behind the windshield is a com wind around you which can change with conditions and direction of travel relative to wind direction.
    your experience, not mine with large wind shields and crosswinds.

Spyder Garage

I have been riding 40 years and I don't have a problem with wind in my face. I now wear a full face lid ( injury stats do not lie) and even with it, the BR shield is trash.. At 60 - 80mph, the buffeting is so bad it is like my head is attached to a jackhammer

guess i am I am not a tough guy because I don't want a headache after I ride

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

I have the Madstad and it works for me, am trying to get their improved brackets to eliminate some of the vibration though