Spyder Garage

Unhappy VSS fault sensor & limp mode - brakes or LED's? Ideas?

I have a 2013 Spyder ST-S. I've added Tricled LED strip lights on the rear for added running/brake lights. On a recent trip, the VSS fault sensor was activated and put the bike into Limp Mode. The dealership claims that the lights are to blame for the sensor and Tricled blames the dealership.
    Does anyone know how to correct this problem?
    Could it be the lights? Or could it be the brake sensor that keeps the brake lights on after the bike has been turned off?

Any help is appreciated...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

If your brake lights are staying on after the bike is shut down, then you're likely to get a brake failure reading and limp mode. LED's wired into the brake system have been known to cause brake failure but not vehicle stability system (VSS) issues. If you return things to the way they were, and the problem goes away, you will know. You may need resistors and such...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:59 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The VSS fault was activated while riding. But it was noticed that when we stopped for fuel, the brake lights as well as the strips were still on when the bike was turned off.
    And to deactivate the lights I would depress the brake pad.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Sims View Post
    I have a 2013 Spyder ST-S. I've added Tricled LED strip lights on the rear for added running/brake lights. On a recent trip, the VSS fault sensor was activated and put the bike in Limp Mode. The dealership claims that the lights are to blame for the sensor and Tricled balmes the dealership.
    Does anyone know how to correct this problem?
    Could it be the lights? Or, could it be the brake sensor that keeps the brake lights on after the bike has been turned off?

Any help is appreciated
    Start over. Disconnect the extra lights and then tell the dealer to fix the brake light switch. I think there are 2 service bulletins regarding the brake switch on a 2013 ST. With 2 different causes for the brake lights to stay on. When the dealer has the switch fixed. Reconnect the extra lights and see what happens.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Start over. Disconnect the extra lights and then tell the dealer to fix the brake light switch. I think there are 2 service bulletins regarding the brake switch on a 2013 ST. With 2 different causes for the brake lights to stay on. When the dealer has the switch fixed. Reconnect the extra lights and see what happens.
    Thank you!!