Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I also have the same problem with my 21013 RT-S. I was going to take out the cluster and try to clean it but I now know not to waste my time . Thanks for the post I will see my dealer and have it replaced.
    2013 RTS

Spyder Garage

Default LENS

Why have it replaced when it will happen again? That's like p&$@"g in the wind! Hopefully BRP will read the riot act to the subcontractor and come up with a new and improved cover.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Why have it replaced when it will happen again? That's like p&$@"g in the wind! Hopefully BRP will read the riot act to the subcontractor and come up with a new and improved cover.
    I agree with you in principle. As a practical matter, however, I think it helps to have the issue looked at and documented by the dealer. Although it's helpful for folks to post here about having the problem, having dealer documentation corroborates what we are reporting and provides BRP with additional data.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lens problem

[I have the exact same problem on my 2015 RT that I just got a month ago. The dealer here in Garner NC is new and he had no idea what it was.QUOTE=MEP;1045863]I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I'm having the same problem.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue on my 2012. Dealer tried cleaning, but ended up replacing.

Spyder Garage

I just spoke with the dealer technical service representative from BRP who has been handling my case up to this point. Although he was kind enough to call me, the news is mixed. I was told he consulted with someone else within the BRP organization and that they are confident that this issue is being caused by the anti fog chemical coating that is applied to the lens. According to the representative, the dripping is likely a reaction to temperature and humidity. He said that they are aware of this "downside" of the anti fog application but that without it the situation would be worse as the result of the condensation that would accumulate. The representative stated that they had the same problem with the visor on their snowmobile helmets, and that a "cleaning procedure" utilizing soapy water took care of it. Accordingly, BRP is recommending that my dealer install yet another new lens, after it has been cleaned as per BRP's recommendation. I was not able to get any additional details regarding this "cleaning procedure". They are also recommending that the seal around the instrument cluster be inspected, to make sure that it has not been compromised by the repetitive changing out of the lenses.

The BRP representative is "98 to 100%" confident that the "cleaning procedure" will take care of the problem. He allowed that there could still be some minor dripping, but said that as far as BRP is concerned it would be within acceptable limits. I asked if the anti fog coating was a BRP product or another company's, and I was told that it is a product of one of only a few companies who manufacture such coatings for the industry. When I asked, I was basically told that going to the manufacturing company with the problem was above this representative's pay grade.

Finally, I was told that BRP would not cover another replacement lens should the dripping happen again. The explanation is that since this "cleaning procedure" should take care of or significantly mitigate the problem, any future dripping that I might experience would be minimal and within acceptable limits as far as BRP is concerned. I was told, "it might not be perfect but we consider this downside (of the anti fog coating) to be acceptable". Well, you can imagine how that went over, considering the cost of these machines.

So, I will jump through the hoops one more time and then see what happens. Although I really hope that this representative is right in his belief that his recommendation will fix the problem, I am prepared for him not to be. If he's not, you can bet that I will be back in touch with BRP.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Found This On My New 2015 Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    I just spoke with the dealer technical service representative from BRP who has been handling my case up to this point. Although he was kind enough to call me, the news is mixed. I was told he consulted with someone else within the BRP organization and that they are confident that this issue is being caused by the anti fog chemical coating that is applied to the lens. According to the representative, the dripping is likely a reaction to temperature and humidity. He said that they are aware of this "downside" of the anti fog application but that without it the situation would be worse as the result of the condensation that would accumulate. The representative stated that they had the same problem with the visor on their snowmobile helmets, and that a "cleaning procedure" utilizing soapy water took care of it. Accordingly, BRP is recommending that my dealer install yet another new lens, after it has been cleaned as per BRP's recommendation. I was not able to get any additional details regarding this "cleaning procedure". They are also recommending that the seal around the instrument cluster be inspected, to make sure that it has not been compromised by the repetitive changing out of the lenses.

The BRP representative is "98 to 100%" confident that the "cleaning procedure" will take care of the problem. He allowed that there could still be some minor dripping, but said that as far as BRP is concerned it would be within acceptable limits. I asked if the anti fog coating was a BRP product or another company's, and I was told that it is a product of one of only a few companies who manufacture such coatings for the industry. When I asked, I was basically told that going to the manufacturing company with the problem was above this representative's pay grade.

Finally, I was told that BRP would not cover another replacement lens should the dripping happen again. The explanation is that since this "cleaning procedure" should take care of or significantly mitigate the problem, any future dripping that I might experience would be minimal and within acceptable limits as far as BRP is concerned. I was told, "it might not be perfect but we consider this downside (of the anti fog coating) to be acceptable". Well, you can imagine how that went over, considering the cost of these machines.

So, I will jump through the hoops one more time and then see what happens. Although I really hope that this representative is right in his belief that his recommendation will fix the problem, I am prepared for him not to be. If he's not, you can bet that I will be back in touch with BRP.
    What ever became of this issue? I just bought a new 2015 RT Limited about a month ago and noticed yesterday after taking it for a ride, while cleaning it before putting it away for the night, large drool marks on the inside of instrument cluster.

Spyder Garage

For a couple of reasons not related to my dealer, I was not able to get the new lens installed after the prescribed cleaning before Winter. I had it done in March and, in addition to the cleaning (that turns out to be with soapy water), my dealer put a little dielectric silicone around the perimeter of the lens. We're not sure if BRP had the vendor change the coating specifications or not but my dealer thought that the newest lens appeared to have less excess coating material around the edges than previous ones. In any event, it's too soon to know if the problem is going to reoccur. If it does, and BRP doesn't want to fix it under warranty, I will escalate the issue by climbing up their corporate ladder to try to get this corrected once and for all. Interestingly, I am told that they were seeing the same thing on some of BRP's snowmobiles. Please report back on your issue.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I talked to my dealer today and he is aware of this issue, he says he has cleaned many lens and will clean mine. Funny how BRP knows these issues exist but wait until we find them before saying or doing anything. For what I paid for this bike this issue should not be happening, it cheapens the look of the bike. I will also keep you posted as things progress.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jolvyc View Post
    I talked to my dealer today and he is aware of this issue, he says he has cleaned many lens and will clean mine. Funny how BRP knows these issues exist but wait until we find them before saying or doing anything. For what I paid for this bike this issue should not be happening, it cheapens the look of the bike. I will also keep you posted as things progress.
    Thanks. If I have to work my way up the BRP food chain I"ll need reinforcements.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

So talking to my dealer the Lens issue could come back again even after cleaning. I asked him what it entailed to clean it myself and it was so easy that I told him I would do it if he didn't mind. I know stupid me but I hate being without my new toy. I had it cleaned and back in the bike in a half hour. After seeing how everything is put together I really can't see how they will be able to rectify the issue. The dealer mentioned that after the cleaning what may come later is not necessarily excess anti fog chemical on the lens but just condensation from the temperature changes in general.

So far I have a clean lens and no more drooling inside. Only time will tell if it comes back or not. If it does I will let all know. I too am curious to see how long it will last.

Spyder Garage

Default I succesfully cleaned the lens....

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.
    Hi, I succesfully cleaned the lens with a glass cleaner called " Bon Ami ". Here is a picture of a can. Since we are in full summer time, I don't know if I removed the anti fog coating. So will update this fall if it start to fog..... time will tell. !Bon Ami Cleaner.jpg

Richard

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    Hi, I succesfully cleaned the lens with a glass cleaner called " Bon Ami ". Here is a haven't re of a can. Since we are in full summer time, I don't know if I removed the anti fog coating. So will update this fall if it start to fog..... time will tell. !Bon Ami Cleaner.jpg

Richard
    Thanks for the information. Since my dealer last cleaned and applied the dielectric silicone in the Spring, I haven't had the problem. It's too soon to declare victory, however.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Seeing the post is active again, I would like to report that since I cleaned it the day of my last post I have not seen the drool come back. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jolvyc View Post
    Seeing the post is active again, I would like to report that since I cleaned it the day of my last post I have not seen the drool come back. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you haven't had a repeat. By the way, 'drooling' is a great way to describe this problem.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

My 15 is doing the same thing. Cleaned it last week. It came back this week???

Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden as many miles this season (yet) as I normally do, but so far mine has stayed clear since the dealer last cleaned it and applied the dielectric silicone in the Spring. I still recommend that those who have this problem, and who still have warranty coverage, see their dealer so that you are documented and counted. I am convinced that it's a factory coating issue, and also convinced that it can be fixed on the vendor end of the process if BRP makes the vendor fix it.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I'll be taking mine in. Warranty till Oct 2017 then extended till 2020

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Clouded cluster

Had the same issue on my 2012RTL.
    Dealer said it was not a warrenty
    issue and charged me $99.00 to
    clean the cluster. That was in April
    this year and I noticed it appears
    to be doing the same thing once
    again.

Spyder Garage

Crazy. I had my canam commander and my canam maverick do the same thing and the dealer covered those under warranty. It's a manufacturers defect. Not something you did.

I'd talk to a different dealer if you can.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Had the same issue on my 2012RTL.
    Dealer said it was not a warrenty
    issue and charged me $99.00 to
    clean the cluster. That was in April
    this year and I noticed it appears
    to be doing the same thing once
    again.
    I understand the real world necessity of warranty limitations, but I'd at least try to have a conversation with BRP about it. It may not change the result but, in light of the fact that this has been a repetitive problem for many over a long period of time, I think that those affected should be heard.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT had the same drooling problem inside the instrument lens. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster in lieu of opening up the cluster and cleaning the lens because they said it was factory sealed and if they opened it and disturbed the vacuum that the drooling would likely happen again. That was around 3000 mi in early 2014 and now there's another 2250 mi on it and the drool has not returned.

Spyder Garage

[Q=Texascanuk;1180536]My 2012 RT had the same drooling problem inside the instrument lens. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster in lieu of opening up the cluster and cleaning the lens because they said it was factory sealed and if they opened it and disturbed the vacuum that the drooling would likely happen again. That was around 3000 mi in early 2014 and now there's another 2250 mi on it and the drool has not returned.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard that explanation before. I hope yours stays clear. Thanks for weighing in.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default It's back

Go figure. Noticed some very minor drooling at the onset of today's ride, on the perimeter of both sides near the top. Stopped for about an hour to have coffee and the bike was parked in the sun, with the ambient temperature in the mid 70's. After that it was much worse, as in dripping down the middle of the lens on both sides. Rode to my dealer on the way home to have them look at and document it with pictures. Was told they've recently seen 4 or 5 units with the same problem, and an F3 that was there was among them.

It's a heat related factory coating issue that's unacceptable given the price of these machines, and I intend to stick with it. My dealer is in complete agreement and will let me know what BRP says now that all of their cleaning and sealing instructions have been followed to no avail. It's aggravating.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited