Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Instrument/Gauge Lens Issue

I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Please keep us updated as to what happens. Four lenses, the same thing happening, something is not right--but you knew that.

Your water?? The Maguires Gold?? Starting points??

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a picture of one of these affected lenses?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a picture of one of these affected lenses?
    No, I don 't, and it's very difficult for me to get the whatever-it-is to show up in a picture taken with the lens in place on the bike. Maybe when the dealer takes their picture for BRP, if it can be seen there, I can get a copy.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this on the inside of the lens? On my 2010 I had what looked like a waterspot on the inside so I tried to clean it off and created more of a mess. It seemed like the inside had some kind of coating on it, maybe fog resistant goo, but when I tired to clean it I smeared it and it was not good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Is this on the inside of the lens? On my 2010 I had what looked like a waterspot on the inside so I tried to clean it off and created more of a mess. It seemed like the inside had some kind of coating on it, maybe fog resistant goo, but when I tired to clean it I smeared it and it was not good.
    Yes, it's been on the inside all four times. My dealer also tried cleaning it on two different occasions, neither time with any lasting success. I saw your old post about this issue when I was researching it, and I appreciate your response again now.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-06-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I suggest that anyone who currently has this problem see their dealer for documentary and warranty purposes, on the outside chance that this issue has not made its way onto BRP's "repetitive failure" radar.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Clouded cluster

Had the same issue on my 2012RTL.
    Dealer said it was not a warrenty
    issue and charged me $99.00 to
    clean the cluster. That was in April
    this year and I noticed it appears
    to be doing the same thing once
    again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Had the same issue on my 2012RTL.
    Dealer said it was not a warrenty
    issue and charged me $99.00 to
    clean the cluster. That was in April
    this year and I noticed it appears
    to be doing the same thing once
    again.
    I understand the real world necessity of warranty limitations, but I'd at least try to have a conversation with BRP about it. It may not change the result but, in light of the fact that this has been a repetitive problem for many over a long period of time, I think that those affected should be heard.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT had the same drooling problem inside the instrument lens. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster in lieu of opening up the cluster and cleaning the lens because they said it was factory sealed and if they opened it and disturbed the vacuum that the drooling would likely happen again. That was around 3000 mi in early 2014 and now there's another 2250 mi on it and the drool has not returned.

Spyder Garage

[Q=Texascanuk;1180536]My 2012 RT had the same drooling problem inside the instrument lens. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster in lieu of opening up the cluster and cleaning the lens because they said it was factory sealed and if they opened it and disturbed the vacuum that the drooling would likely happen again. That was around 3000 mi in early 2014 and now there's another 2250 mi on it and the drool has not returned.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard that explanation before. I hope yours stays clear. Thanks for weighing in.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.
    I purchased my 2015 RT LTD Last week, (Oct 02/15) and noticed stuff on the inside of the clear plexiglass left side. I rode again yesterday and now I notice stuff on the inside of the right side.
    Something is causing these issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    I purchased my 2015 RT LTD Last week, (Oct 02/15) and noticed stuff on the inside of the clear plexiglass left side. I rode again yesterday and now I notice stuff on the inside of the right side.
    Something is causing these issues.
    Thank you. Based on what others have said, conversations with my dealer, and my own experiences my opinion at this point is that some sort of factory coating on the inside of the lens is degrading (probably when the heat from the engine warms it to a certain temperature) and then starting to run. I could be wrong but nothing else makes sense to me.

I was at my dealer today with my fourth affected lens. They photographed it as per BRP's request and will have further communication with BRP about this issue. In the interim, they cleaned the lens again and ordered me another new one.

I will update this thread with any further information that I get from BRP or my dealer.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update...there seems to be at least some movement with BRP in the direction of trying to figure out what's going on with the affected lenses out there. BRP representatives are aware of this thread, as well as the historical threads that I could find, and are taking a look at this issue. Hopefully, they will figure out what the problem is. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-09-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is at least a decent start...
    Let's hope that they find the solution quickly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I had my cluster cover changed out under warrenty 8 weeks ago for the same reason. I first noticed the "stains" with less then 1000 kms. Had it replaced at breakin service, no problem. I look at the dash yesterday and there are the "stains" again, on the inside.
    I have been very careful not to get water in the area, just damp wipe down and dry.
    So now I see this is a common issue. I have to go and talk to them about my rear tire( 6500 kms and signifigent wear)anyways, so I will also point this out too.
    Last edited by Scugog58; 10-09-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    2014 RTS Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scugog58 View Post
    I had my cluster cover changed out under warrenty 8 weeks ago for the same reason. I first noticed the "stains" with less then 1000 kms. Had it replaced at breakin service, no problem. I look at the dash yesterday and there are the "stains" again, on the inside.
    I have been very careful not to get water in the area, just damp wipe down and dry.
    So now I see this is a common issue. I have to go and talk to them about my rear tire( 6500 kms and signifigent wear)anyways, so I will also point this out too.
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Cluster/Gauge Stain

Stains on the inside of the cluster glass seems to be a common problem across all years and models. Maybe BRP will come up with a better cover and do a massive recall. I have had the problem on my ST-S for a long time and have just lived with it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Another quick update. I just had another new lens installed and had the chance to inspect both the old one and the new one off the bike. The dealer and I both saw excess coating material (hardened) around the perimeter of both the old and the brand new lenses, in sort of a dripping pattern. It is sure looking like that hardened overflow material degrades and becomes fluid when it is warmed by the engine heat, and then starts to run down inside the lens. My hunch is that once the new lens reaches the threshold temperature the issue is going to repeat itself. The old lens will be sent to BRP for inspection. I tried to take a picture of what we saw but I couldn't get it to show up because it's clear. Stay tuned, and please provide any additional information that you might have here.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    Another quick update. I just had another new lens installed and had the chance to inspect both the old one and the new one off the bike. The dealer and I both saw excess coating material (hardened) around the perimeter of both the old and the brand new lenses, in sort of a dripping pattern. It is sure looking like that hardened overflow material degrades and becomes fluid when it is warmed by the engine heat, and then starts to run down inside the lens. My hunch is that once the new lens reaches the threshold temperature the issue is going to repeat itself. The old lens will be sent to BRP for inspection. I tried to take a picture of what we saw but I couldn't get it to show up because it's clear. Stay tuned, and please provide any additional information that you might have here.

I think maybe even the sun might cause it to become fluid, my bike sometimes is in the sun for four or five hours while I'm at work, I imagine the dash could get quite hot.
    2014 RTS Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scugog58 View Post
    I think maybe even the sun might cause it to become fluid, my bike sometimes is in the sun for four or five hours while I'm at work, I imagine the dash could get quite hot.
    Maybe. It has always happened to me while riding, however,and my bike is otherwise kept in the garage.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Sub Contractors - Simple Solution

Personally, I have never understood when a the Prime Manufacturer says, "we need to study the problem!"

Whether it be the DESS or lens situations the solutions are relatively simple.

Collect the data from the dealers; collect the faulty component.

Go to your supplier or subcontractor and let them know in simple terms that their QC has slipped, their product is not to spec and is unacceptable.

Get with the program or face CANCELLATION of ALL future orders and you not only have 90 days to comply, you will REIMBURSE us for all the FAILED components - PERIOD!

Maybe I spent too many years with Fortune 50s, but when a PRIME speaks the SUBS fall in line pretty fast.

AJ
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 09-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Personally, I have never understood when a the Prime Manufacturer says, "we need to study the problem!"

Whether it be the DESS or lens situations the solutions are relatively simple.

Collect the data from the dealers; collect the faulty component.

Go to your supplier or subcontractor and let them know in simple terms that their QC has slipped, their product is not to spec and is unacceptable.

Get with the program or face CANCELLATION of ALL future orders and you not only have 90 days to comply, you will REIMBURSE us for all the FAILED components - PERIOD!

Maybe I spent too many years with Fortune 50s, but when a PRIME speaks the SUBS fall in line pretty fast.

AJ
    Believe me when I say that my frustration level with this issue has been pretty high, especially given what these machines cost and the repeated trips back and forth to my dealer. My dealer (Nielsen), however, has been great to work with on this issue. There was some earlier indication from BRP regarding their position on this issue moving forward that concerned me, but in light of some further clarification I am still in the 'give-BRP-the-benefit-of-the-doubt' mode. I have brought this and several other historical threads to the attention of BRP, and my dealer has communicated to BRP that the issue is a defective part and not the result or fault of anything that I might be doing. Accordingly, I'm hopeful that BRP will work towards a permanent solution for all of us with affected units.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lens problem

[I have the exact same problem on my 2015 RT that I just got a month ago. The dealer here in Garner NC is new and he had no idea what it was.QUOTE=MEP;1045863]I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I'm having the same problem.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s