Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Instrument/Gauge Lens Issue

I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Please keep us updated as to what happens. Four lenses, the same thing happening, something is not right--but you knew that.

Your water?? The Maguires Gold?? Starting points??

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a picture of one of these affected lenses?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have a picture of one of these affected lenses?
    No, I don 't, and it's very difficult for me to get the whatever-it-is to show up in a picture taken with the lens in place on the bike. Maybe when the dealer takes their picture for BRP, if it can be seen there, I can get a copy.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this on the inside of the lens? On my 2010 I had what looked like a waterspot on the inside so I tried to clean it off and created more of a mess. It seemed like the inside had some kind of coating on it, maybe fog resistant goo, but when I tired to clean it I smeared it and it was not good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Is this on the inside of the lens? On my 2010 I had what looked like a waterspot on the inside so I tried to clean it off and created more of a mess. It seemed like the inside had some kind of coating on it, maybe fog resistant goo, but when I tired to clean it I smeared it and it was not good.
    Yes, it's been on the inside all four times. My dealer also tried cleaning it on two different occasions, neither time with any lasting success. I saw your old post about this issue when I was researching it, and I appreciate your response again now.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-06-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Is this what you are talking about? Just noticed it on mine this morning, and it is on both sides.

Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    Is this what you are talking about? Just noticed it on mine this morning, and it is on both sides.

Yes, sir. Mine looked/looks like that in varying degrees. Thanks for the picture.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Let me know what you find out, and yes it is almost impossible to get a pic of it.
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV

Spyder Garage

I think on the GS I had, I removed the lens from the panel at one time, as there was a protective clear sheet over the LCD that started bubbling. I assume the lens can be removed from the RT panel as well?
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV

Spyder Garage

Let me know what you find out, and yes it is almost impossible to get a pic of it.
    I sure will. Although I have no complaints about the way that my dealer has handled this up to this point, having to replace the lens 4 times seems excessive to me, especially since there is some history of this same issue out there. I have contacted BRP myself and directed their attention to this and as many historical threads as I could find. Thanks again.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I think on the GS I had, I removed the lens from the panel at one time, as there was a protective clear sheet over the LCD that started bubbling. I assume the lens can be removed from the RT panel as well?
    Yes it can be removed, but I have not done it myself. I can turn a $5 project into a $500 project with no problem, so I've learned to leave most of that stuff to my dealer.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-06-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Ann is right; that might just be an anti-fog coating for the lens.
    But as to why it would do that:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well I decided to pull my cluster out and investigate this a bit more. The cluster comes out very easily, took all of 15 minutes to take it out, clean it, and out it back in. It does appear to be some sort of oily coating on the inside of the lens. Where it is coming from, I have no clue. I cleaned it with Windex, and then polished it with some Novus 2. Now it looks almost brand new, but if you look hard enough, you can still see something still on the inside. Almost like whatever it was distorted the plastic a bit.

I would've taken some pics of the removal process, but I was running out of daylight. Here is a pic of the Novus 2 for anyone that doesn't know. It works great to polish plastics, especially on helmet shields and pinball plastics! Pinball is my other expensive hobby!

Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV

Spyder Garage

I had the exact same problem on the inside of my 2014 RTL cluster. The dealer removed the lens and cleaned it but was not satisfied so ordered me a new lens. The replacement lens has been ok for the last 4 months. It looked like water had run down the back and dryed leaving a watermark....but as already said it is not water.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well I decided to pull my cluster out and investigate this a bit more. The cluster comes out very easily, took all of 15 minutes to take it out, clean it, and out it back in. It does appear to be some sort of oily coating on the inside of the lens. Where it is coming from, I have no clue. I cleaned it with Windex, and then polished it with some Novus 2. Now it looks almost brand new, but if you look hard enough, you can still see something still on the inside. Almost like whatever it was distorted the plastic a bit.

I would've taken some pics of the removal process, but I was running out of daylight. Here is a pic of the Novus 2 for anyone that doesn't know. It works great to polish plastics, especially on helmet shields and pinball plastics! Pinball is my other expensive hobby!

Thanks for the follow up. Your description is consistent with what my dealer told me after their second attempt to clean the affected lens. They replaced it again due to the etching that you also experienced.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    I had the exact same problem on the inside of my 2014 RTL cluster. The dealer removed the lens and cleaned it but was not satisfied so ordered me a new lens. The replacement lens has been ok for the last 4 months. It looked like water had run down the back and dryed leaving a watermark....but as already said it is not water.
    Thanks for the information.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Very interesting, and I am very curious as to what the liquid is, and where it is coming from....especially since it seems to be etching the lens.
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV

Spyder Garage

Default I also do...

I do have the same run down on my 2013 ST....

Richard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post

Richard
    Thanks for the information. Between these responses and the historical threads concerning this issue, it looks like this problem has been hanging around for quite awhile. That's helpful to know moving forward.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    Thanks for the information. Between these responses and the historical threads concerning this issue, it looks like this problem has been hanging around for quite awhile. That's helpful to know moving forward.
    Off topic...Nice Surly commuter fat bike. Not sure what the mirror brand is, but inexpensive and fold down Acerbis enduro mirror would be cool.

http://www.acerbis.com/prodotto_detail.php?idp=827

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Off topic...Nice Surly commuter fat bike. Not sure what the mirror brand is, but inexpensive and fold down Acerbis enduro mirror would be cool.

http://www.acerbis.com/prodotto_detail.php?idp=827

PK
    Thanks. I"ll check out the mirror recommendation. It's a now-old-school Pugsley that I bought a few years ago for winter riding. It's so much fun that it quickly became my daily rider. This summer I sold two of my other bikes because they were just sitting, so I'm now down to the Pugs and a Cannondale CX. Hands down, the Pugs is still my favorite.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post

Richard
    As do I on my 2014 STL
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    As do I on my 2014 STL
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I suggest that anyone who currently has this problem see their dealer for documentary and warranty purposes, on the outside chance that this issue has not made its way onto BRP's "repetitive failure" radar.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited