Thread: Front Foiler ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Foiler ?

Is there any product out there that can protect the lower front end foiler ?

Spyder Garage

Make sure your springs are strong enough to set sag correctly + have sufficient top end capacity to keep you from bottoming out easily.

You didn't indicate if you ride 2 up alot / what weight do you normally have on the front end?

Then there is the possibility you may be going up a relative steep driveway where the initial approach is enough to cause you to scrape the nose?

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops makes a BunpSkid that protects the front end. Call him at 501 627-4008, or visit his website on the home page or go to www.spyderpops.com

cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Spoiler...

it's called a bumpskid because it is a bumper and askid plate. The oem skid just covers the frunk bottom and is lightweight. Spyderpops bumpskid is heavy duty and covers a larger area. Now offered with lights...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Spyderpops makes a BunpSkid that protects the front end. Call him at 501 627-4008, or visit his website on the home page or go to www.spyderpops.com

cruzr Joe
    The bumpskid is well worth the money and it is easy to install. This was one of the first accessories (farkles) I put on my RTL. It has been tested several times without failure.

Spyder Garage

Default An Ulternative

Then there's this Wear Bar Accent piece from Value Accessories that costs a lot less. I have one, and I really like the looks of it.

I agree with Jerry's comment above. If your front end is routinely bottoming out, that can be fixed by upgrading the shocks, or adding BajaRon's shock adjusters to your existing shocks. BajaRon's shock adjusters are really a great value, and they get the job done well.
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-06-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another Bumpskid vote on the pile!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bumpskid all the way.....First thing I added to my 2013 RT-S. It was also one of the first things I added to my 2015 RT-S and my husbands 2015 RT-L. Like the looks and great protection.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

Another vote for the bump skid. Although I'm very careful about parking lot speed bumps and also have to leave/enter my driveway on an angle because of the grade I was surprised ar the marks on the underside of the skid plate the last time I had the front end off the ground.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The Spyder has a decent ground clearance on the front end when not loaded. But gearing up and riding 2-up on an RT can reduce ground clearance in the front by 2" or more. Add to this hitting the brakes as you traverse a speed bump or enter a driveway and you'll lose even more precious ground clearance. Without being able to adjust the shock spring pre-load to compensate for the additional weight, you're going to be hitting the ground more than you'd like and harder than you should.

It is interesting that every Spyder made through the 2012 model year came from the factory with shock spring adjustment capabilities.

There are, of course, various remedies. That's what 'Aftermarket' is all about.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Bumpskid. A farkle for your 'foiler'.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Another vote for the bump skid. Although I'm very careful about parking lot speed bumps and also have to leave/enter my driveway on an angle because of the grade I was surprised ar the marks on the underside of the skid plate the last time I had the front end off the ground.
    So lets review. If you are scrapping the bottom now, then add a bump skid which adds additional thickness to the bottom... it is going to scrape more often... Why would this be a surprise? The bump skid does not eliminate the reason of the scrapes. It looks good. It might help protect the bottom a small amount but this is offset by increasing scrapping since there is less ground clearance.

This is why you should get the suspension set up properly first; then, if you want to add a bump skid (for the looks) you can.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

That's what I've always thought, but so many people love their bumpskid that I've been hesitant to "argue" about it. But now that you've already done that, I'm just gonna agree.

The way I resolved the issue was to add BajaRon's shock adjusters to lift the front end, stop the porpoising, and smooth out the ride. My rubber padded bumper trim accent piece from Value Accessories (descried in post #6 above), was for the "good looks", and for those times I accidentally bump the nose - like getting too close to a curb when parking.

If Ron had not come out with those shock adjusters, I'd have gone to Elka shocks. But fortunately he did, and that saved me a bunch of money.

Also, it's worth noting that for those with early 2013 RT's who's shocks are too soft, BRP will replace your shocks if your dealer asks them to. When they first came out with the new non-adjustable shock, it was a sub-standard design. They fixed that half way through the model year, and then for 2014 they beefed up the front shock springs just a bit.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

cruzr Joe
    Thank you very much.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Solution

My solution for the front end of my Spyder. Found some door edge trim at Pep Boys for $3.00 What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users spydermanstever's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Then there's this Wear Bar Accent piece from Value Accessories that costs a lot less. I have one, and I really like the looks of it.

I agree with Jerry's comment above. If your front end is routinely bottoming out, that can be fixed by upgrading the shocks, or adding BajaRon's shock adjusters to your existing shocks. BajaRon's shock adjusters are really a great value, and they get the job done well.
    If you decide to go with bellypan protection, just to let you know, I first tried a product similar to yours on my 2015 Spyder RT but was still getting damage to the stock plastic plate below the frunk, and the plastics underneath, so I too went with a Spyderpops Bumpskid. The ground clearance (stock) is not great on the Spyders and I think the Bumpskid is one of the best products I have added to my Spyder!
    SpydermanStever
    2015 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

Garmin Montana 650 GPS
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    FOBO Tpm's
    Lamonster Lidlox Combo Handlebar Helmet Locks, Spyder Cuff Cup & Phone Holder
    Big Bike Parts Fairing Bra
    Custom Dynamics LED lighting - high mount brake light and all reflectors changed to LED
    WOLO Air Horn
    BRP CB, Satellite Radio, Headset
    BRP RT-622 Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    The way I resolved the issue was to add BajaRon's shock adjusters to lift the front end, stop the porpoising, and smooth out the ride.
    If Ron had not come out with those shock adjusters, I'd have gone to Elka shocks. But fortunately he did, and that saved me a bunch of money.
    I also added his preload adjusters, and added just enough, to bring the ground clearance up front back to stock.
    The Bumpskid ties all of the bodywork together in a much more secure fashion, and the added preload adjustment helps with the handling...
    A Win-Win situation!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Roadster Renovations has spring stiffeners as well.http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!products/cdk6
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White