Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 - Statistics on Motorcycle Fatalities of Syder Ryders?

Are there any stats out for Can Am Spyder accidents or fatalities?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Thanks
    don't really know of any. there have been three or four fatalities the last couple of years, but a couple of those could have been prevented. all I know is, I prefer to stay out of those statistics. ride safe!!!

Spyder Garage

Have not seen any stand alone safety stats concerning the , other than when the engine fire issue was running strong.

As said above, ride safe and try not to become a statistic.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our Species is always looking for a new way to mess-up...

My advice:

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

And as always, ride safe!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Too my knowledge, motorcycle accidents & fatalities are not kept according to Make & Model.
    However, records are kept according to type, and sport bikes lead with the greatest factor being inexperienced riders and speed.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Thanks

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    However, records are kept according to type, and sport bikes lead with the greatest factor being inexperienced riders and speed.
    Not according to Idaho statistics for 5 years, 2009 to 2013, for 127 fatalities. http://idahostar.org/_blog/News_Room/post/preventing/

• 75% - Cruisers or touring bikes
    • 70% - Riders 40 years old and older
    • 67% - Fatalities associated with rider error
    • 41% - Riders running off the road in a corner
    • 33% - Alcohol/drug involvement by riders
    • 21% - Car violating a rider’s right-of-way

Here is a comment about the value of training. http://idahostar.org/BlogRetrieve.as...&ObjectType=55
    STAR training is associated with a 79 percent reduced crash risk and an 89 percent reduction in the risk of a fatal crash. To learn more about Idaho STAR and motorcycle training, visit www.idahostar.org.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

ryde more worry less..be safe out there... you are safer on a spyder that should be enough to know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I know of 3 that I read here or on Facebook this year.

2 people got rear ended which was fatal to both.

A lady went off the road and was killed. Never heard a report back as to the reason.

Those are the three I recall reported this year.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I was referring ot National Record (NHTSA)

But hats off to Idaho for keeping a record.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    ryde more worry less..be safe out there... you are safer on a spyder that should be enough to know...

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 3, and 1 more

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I know of 3 that I read here or on Facebook this year.

2 people got rear ended which was fatal to both.

A lady went off the road and was killed. Never heard a report back as to the reason.

Those are the three I recall reported this year.

Bob
    Bob;
    i too have heard of those 3... and i know of 1 more.... a woman here in SoCar was on Rt. 25 and a fellow rider came in contact with her, and the results weren't very pretty.... she survived with multiple injuries, but is ok today....
    as far as i know, of the 120,000+ units built, there hasn't been an accident directly related to the functioning of the SPYD3R itself... they have all been either rider, or other drivers at fault....
    i'd say that we ride a pretty damn good vehicle to say the least...
    BRP, a big THANK YOU....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Fear will kill you faster than the thing you fear. Just ride. Ride Often. Ride Safe. Ride Happy.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

If there are, I would imagine that those stats are being compiled by insurance companies. At the state level, the Can Am is (in nearly all 50 states) classified a motorcycle, and the accident reporting would reflect "motorcycle"...nothing more.

Spyder Garage

Post Spyder Acciidents

We should all recognize that there is a chance that we can get injuried riding a motorcycle/Spyder and because we purchased out Spyders we accept and believe that if we ride safely that no injuries will happen to us. "Our Prayer" Amen.

I hope no one gets offended by my statement.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    as far as i know, of the 120,000+ units built, there hasn't been an accident directly related to the functioning of the SPYD3R itself
    That could be said of any motorcycle I think, with the one exception of tire blowouts, and that's probably a pretty small percentage of all accidents.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default love

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    We should all recognize that there is a chance that we can get injuried riding a motorcycle/Spyder and because we purchased out Spyders we accept and believe that if we ride safely that no injuries will happen to us. "Our Prayer" Amen.

I hope no one gets offended by my statement.

Blade
    LOVE YOUR STATEMENT BLADE......

Spyder Garage

Just for your info... The 2 rear end collisions this year that killed the rider.

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/mic...lyndon-redford

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-in-lanaudiere

I have friended the 56 year old man's daughter on FaceBook and when the time is right I plan to ask her what the injuries were to him that caused his death.
    I think it is good for us Spyder riders to know what happens when you get rear ended so possibly we can take some action if we know it is coming.

Right now my theory is to stand up so you come off the Spyder rather than sustain back or neck injuries slamming into the backrest or trunk area.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is something I'm pretty passionate about and it really stems from my pilot training both in the military and as a civilian. As others have said, we can fear ourselves to death but with good training, continued training and situational awareness, the risks are minimized a great deal. As a pilot, the flying part is easy. The continuous training required is all about emergencies and being aware so that your skills are sharp IF something happens. I think that's true for any vehicle, especially one with low visibility to other drivers.

I'm sure if there were statistics available around accidents that involved stopping, where you can easily dump a 2 wheeled motorcycle, you would likely see that 3 wheels are by far better than 2. That's just common sense. It's the left/right and rear to pay attention to and with training around defensive riding i.e. expecting it to happen, you can likely avoid those situations. The rear is my biggest concern and one of the reasons I'm excited about the helmet coming out from Skully called the AR-1. www.skully.com I honestly feel that ANYTHING that will provide me with better situational awareness is a good thing and worth the extra dollars. The key will be training the person on how to use these new tools effectively. One of the things I don't understand is why there isn't a rear storage unit for the F3 considering riders want more storage and we all want to be more visible. Doesn't the RS have one? I would purchase one just for the visibility alone.

Honestly, it's just about being professional in your approach so that you can really enjoy a fantastic machine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDeck View Post
    This is something I'm pretty passionate about and it really stems from my pilot training both in the military and as a civilian. As others have said, we can fear ourselves to death but with good training, continued training and situational awareness, the risks are minimized a great deal. As a pilot, the flying part is easy. The continuous training required is all about emergencies and being aware so that your skills are sharp IF something happens. I think that's true for any vehicle, especially one with low visibility to other drivers.

I'm sure if there were statistics available around accidents that involved stopping, where you can easily dump a 2 wheeled motorcycle, you would likely see that 3 wheels are by far better than 2. That's just common sense. It's the left/right and rear to pay attention to and with training around defensive riding i.e. expecting it to happen, you can likely avoid those situations. The rear is my biggest concern and one of the reasons I'm excited about the helmet coming out from Skully called the AR-1. www.skully.com I honestly feel that ANYTHING that will provide me with better situational awareness is a good thing and worth the extra dollars. The key will be training the person on how to use these new tools effectively. One of the things I don't understand is why there isn't a rear storage unit for the F3 considering riders want more storage and we all want to be more visible. Doesn't the RS have one? I would purchase one just for the visibility alone.

Honestly, it's just about being professional in your approach so that you can really enjoy a fantastic machine.
    You have to Monitor Your Rear Just as Much as You Look forward? You have to Constantly Scan the Perimeter of the road Looking for signs of Deer or Moving animals? While you Enjoy the ride You still need to be More Aware of your surroundings Because you Do Not have a Cage around you, Seat belt OR air bag.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Don't have any real specs but after 46 years on two wheels, I feel much safer on three, if you get hit you don't have any more protection than a two wheeler. But run into lose gravel (tar and chips) three is much better, also rain not as much of a problem as if on two. The best thing look ahead, see a head turn in the car up front, think lane change no signal. Keep your eye on the road and look out for yourself. Ride smart ride sober. Screw the stats it's about the ride the air,sights smells, freedom the open road you don't get riding in a box. Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrt View Post
    Don't have any real specs but after 46 years on two wheels, I feel much safer on three,
    Last year, almost home from a 6700 mile ride to Louisiana & Missouri, I stopped for gas on I-84, which is 80 speed limit. As I was walking into the C-store I realized I was feeling a whole lot safer on my Spyder at 80 mph than I ever did on my Goldwing at 70 mph.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

From what I have read here this year is that there were 3-4 Spyder accidents all were from the other persons fault, rear ended if I remember right. 3-4 people died all from flying off the Spyder and hitting something. We can all sit around and say "ride safe" yet the odds are that it will not be your fault if you are in an accident. IMO the Spyder is much safer than any 2 wheeler. That being said, I and I dare say most of you are to old to fly without a parachute. So I went to the junk yard and bought lap seat belts. Having survived 2 car roll overs by the seat belt, I choose to stay on the bike and take my chances. Either way, I'll probably be hurt, but I'm thinking less than flying and the real issue landing.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Right now my theory is to stand up so you come off the Spyder rather than sustain back or neck injuries slamming into the backrest or trunk area.

Bob

Sorry but this reminds me of an old Bill Cosby bit:

What do you do if you're in an elevator, the cable breaks and the cab falls uncontrollably?

Jump in the air just before the cab hits the ground.

They'll find several bodies crumpled up on the floor and one head through the top. But at least they'll say, that guy sure did try.
    Last edited by HIspyder; 10-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From personal experience... I can state that a frontal impact is much more like a crash in a four-wheeled vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default flying through the air!

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    From what I have read here this year is that there were 3-4 Spyder accidents all were from the other persons fault, rear ended if I remember right. 3-4 people died all from flying off the Spyder and hitting something. We can all sit around and say "ride safe" yet the odds are that it will not be your fault if you are in an accident. IMO the Spyder is much safer than any 2 wheeler. That being said, I and I dare say most of you are to old to fly without a parachute. So I went to the junk yard and bought lap seat belts. Having survived 2 car roll overs by the seat belt, I choose to stay on the bike and take my chances. Either way, I'll probably be hurt, but I'm thinking less than flying and the real issue landing.
    Very interesting concept. I can't see that you'll be any worse off staying with the bike. Like you state "most of us are to old to fly without a parachute"!
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab