Hybrid View

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wing Ding - worth going to with a Spyder?

I've checked a couple of the previous threads but didn't find the kind of comments I'm looking for.

I've continued to be a member of the local chapter of GWRRA after switching to the Spyder from a GL1800. Wing Ding 2016 will be in Billings, MT which means it would be pretty easy for me to go to it. The problem I have is a "step child" feeling. I went to the Idaho District rally this past summer and had the only Spyder. It was a fairly small gathering so being the only one didn't surprise me. But what I have observed and experienced, both at the district rally and a couple of regional rally's, is not surprisingly the focus is almost 100% Goldwing and Valkyrie. Hence the step child feeling. I have lost 90%+ of my interest in GWs since becoming a Spyder lover. But Wing Ding will much, much bigger so I'm thinking the GW focus may be diluted a little bit.

So my question is for those who have attended Wing Dings these past couple of years; are there enough activities, seminars, vendors, etc., that are not Goldwing centric to make it a really enjoyable event for a committed Spyder owner? How much of the odd man out or step child feeling did you experience?

I really enjoy my association with Chapter T but not being a GW owner really does diminish the feeling of being a part of national and regional levels of GWRRA.

Your opinions, please. Thanks.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As a member of GWRRA myself I know that several GW riders also have Spyders. At the Wi. rally there were a few that attended according to the pictures that were posted. I have a 1500 CSC trike myself and have been thinking of getting a Spider for my wife and possibly for myself also.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As one of the spyder vendors I can say this from another local vendor that I represent is yes there are spyders there and im seriously considering going this coming year and possibly teaming up with them.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm just not "sensitive" enough...
    I apologize now, for my apparent lack of concern for feelings...
    Ride your own ride, and go where you want to go...
    They're not the ones that are making you feel unwanted: YOU ARE!
    Your friends will always be your friends, and they don't care what you're on...

...They are just happy to share the road with you!
    Go for that reason!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-05-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe I'm just not "sensitive" enough...
    I apologize now, for my apparent lack of concern for feelings...
    Ride your own ride, and go where you want to go...
    They're not the ones that are making you feel unwanted: YOU ARE!
    Your friends will always be your friends, and they don't care what you're on...

...They are just happy to share the road with you!
    Go for that reason!
    I guess I didn't come across quite right! It's not the people I have a concern about, it's the focus of attention. For me, aside from the people, a major portion of belonging to GWRRA in the past was the common thread of all things Goldwing. With Spyder Ryders much the same. Without the common thread of Goldwings to tie all things together how much is there at Wing Ding, other than the people, to enjoy as a Spyder owner?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a GoldWing event...
    Would you go to a tractor-pull, to look for a new toaster?
    Their focus has to be on their "Bread & Butter".
    Go; and enjoy seeing how the "Wing-Nut" are enjoying their rides!
    It's fun to peek over the fence; every once in a while...

For a suitable LACK of focus; you need to look at non-branded events.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What to do at Wing Ding on a Spyder???

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I guess I didn't come across quite right! It's not the people I have a concern about, it's the focus of attention. For me, aside from the people, a major portion of belonging to GWRRA in the past was the common thread of all things Goldwing. With Spyder Ryders much the same. Without the common thread of Goldwings to tie all things together how much is there at Wing Ding, other than the people, to enjoy as a Spyder owner?
    EVERYTHING! To my knowledge as a GWRRA member and former TX District Director there is nothing you can't do on a Spyder that anyone else can do on a Goldwing. AS Bob said, there focus is on Goldwings and Valkyries, however one does not have to own a GW or Valk to be a full fledged member and participant. Most vendors that do stuff for GW also have stuff for the Spyders. I'll guarantee you'll see many Spyders and I'll also guarantee you'll spend most of your time answering questions about you're ride. There are a few of course that will look down their nose at you but most will be curious, because many are looking at the Spyder with much envy. I know, I was one of those. I still have my 1500/Motor Trike, but ride my 2015 F3S.
    Go, you'll have a great time!

Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've checked a couple of the previous threads but didn't find the kind of comments I'm looking for.

I've continued to be a member of the local chapter of GWRRA after switching to the Spyder from a GL1800. Wing Ding 2016 will be in Billings, MT which means it would be pretty easy for me to go to it. The problem I have is a "step child" feeling. I went to the Idaho District rally this past summer and had the only Spyder. It was a fairly small gathering so being the only one didn't surprise me. But what I have observed and experienced, both at the district rally and a couple of regional rally's, is not surprisingly the focus is almost 100% Goldwing and Valkyrie. Hence the step child feeling. I have lost 90%+ of my interest in GWs since becoming a Spyder lover. But Wing Ding will much, much bigger so I'm thinking the GW focus may be diluted a little bit.

So my question is for those who have attended Wing Dings these past couple of years; are there enough activities, seminars, vendors, etc., that are not Goldwing centric to make it a really enjoyable event for a committed Spyder owner? How much of the odd man out or step child feeling did you experience?

I really enjoy my association with Chapter T but not being a GW owner really does diminish the feeling of being a part of national and regional levels of GWRRA.

Your opinions, please. Thanks.

(Opinion) is relax & enjoy what you want.! Like everyone looking/drooling at you spyder.
    If you have a pic of your old wing you can put on the spyder (notation "upgrade from") may illustrate to others what got you started. Wing riders are usually better to approach than the die hard HD guys. But your not entering in a contest, just enjoying the wing ding & rides. & finding some less brand name venues to enjoy.https://www.bikesbluesandbbq.org
    be glad you not the one showing up in a slingshot & or be the first to pick on them when they do show up.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I and a friend will be on our Spyder at Wing Ding in Billings, Mt.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie