Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wing Ding - worth going to with a Spyder?

I've checked a couple of the previous threads but didn't find the kind of comments I'm looking for.

I've continued to be a member of the local chapter of GWRRA after switching to the Spyder from a GL1800. Wing Ding 2016 will be in Billings, MT which means it would be pretty easy for me to go to it. The problem I have is a "step child" feeling. I went to the Idaho District rally this past summer and had the only Spyder. It was a fairly small gathering so being the only one didn't surprise me. But what I have observed and experienced, both at the district rally and a couple of regional rally's, is not surprisingly the focus is almost 100% Goldwing and Valkyrie. Hence the step child feeling. I have lost 90%+ of my interest in GWs since becoming a Spyder lover. But Wing Ding will much, much bigger so I'm thinking the GW focus may be diluted a little bit.

So my question is for those who have attended Wing Dings these past couple of years; are there enough activities, seminars, vendors, etc., that are not Goldwing centric to make it a really enjoyable event for a committed Spyder owner? How much of the odd man out or step child feeling did you experience?

I really enjoy my association with Chapter T but not being a GW owner really does diminish the feeling of being a part of national and regional levels of GWRRA.

Your opinions, please. Thanks.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As a member of GWRRA myself I know that several GW riders also have Spyders. At the Wi. rally there were a few that attended according to the pictures that were posted. I have a 1500 CSC trike myself and have been thinking of getting a Spider for my wife and possibly for myself also.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As one of the spyder vendors I can say this from another local vendor that I represent is yes there are spyders there and im seriously considering going this coming year and possibly teaming up with them.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm just not "sensitive" enough...
    I apologize now, for my apparent lack of concern for feelings...
    Ride your own ride, and go where you want to go...
    They're not the ones that are making you feel unwanted: YOU ARE!
    Your friends will always be your friends, and they don't care what you're on...

...They are just happy to share the road with you!
    Go for that reason!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-05-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe I'm just not "sensitive" enough...
    I apologize now, for my apparent lack of concern for feelings...
    Ride your own ride, and go where you want to go...
    They're not the ones that are making you feel unwanted: YOU ARE!
    Your friends will always be your friends, and they don't care what you're on...

...They are just happy to share the road with you!
    Go for that reason!
    I guess I didn't come across quite right! It's not the people I have a concern about, it's the focus of attention. For me, aside from the people, a major portion of belonging to GWRRA in the past was the common thread of all things Goldwing. With Spyder Ryders much the same. Without the common thread of Goldwings to tie all things together how much is there at Wing Ding, other than the people, to enjoy as a Spyder owner?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a GoldWing event...
    Would you go to a tractor-pull, to look for a new toaster?
    Their focus has to be on their "Bread & Butter".
    Go; and enjoy seeing how the "Wing-Nut" are enjoying their rides!
    It's fun to peek over the fence; every once in a while...

For a suitable LACK of focus; you need to look at non-branded events.

Spyder Garage

I was in the GWRRA for a few years when I rode my Wing, but never went to a WingDing. I guess I'm not that big on get togethers with people who have nothing in common other than what's between their legs. However, I probably would have gone if there had ever been one closer to where I live.

I actually don't see any reason why you shouldn't roll in on your Spyder. After all, they are just a bunch of people who enjoy the wind. I imagine you would probably get a lot of attention when they see your and maybe a few of them have even been thinking about switching over. It would be good for them to see an Ex Winger on a

I say, go for it!!!

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 10-05-2015 at 08:48 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I went to Sturgis bike rally this year, knowing it is primary HD. I wanted to be there and I never had even one bad comment from a HD head. I think most people are starting to relize its the ride and feeling of freadom.
    I saw what over a million HD and 5 Can am. On one windy mtn road 49 (YES 49) sling shots came around the corner. It looked neet. I heard they travel alot together.
    The more rallies we show up at the more people will get used to our spyders.
    Hope you go
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Default Go

I'm with Pam on this. Go. Plenty of people will want to know about the Spyder. You still like wings. Go and have fun! Jmho, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

You know, it's always good to be the one out front leading the pack in a better direction. Every time you go somewhere to a non-Spyder event with the Spyder, you have to possibility of converting someone to move up to a Spyder.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep went to bike night two Sat. ago pre get together for Fall Ride the following Sun. where 2000 bikes usually show up, about 300 bike night 90% Harleys 9.99% other and then just me but I got an awful lot of lookers, most walk by other bikes and looked but when they got to my F3 they stopped and looked it over talked a bit then moved on.

Spyder Garage

Tis the people, not the machines. As a former F6B rider, I attended the ralley in Franklin, and was asked to lead the Dragon ride on my RS-S. It makes no diffrence, just have fun.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took my Spyder to the 2013 Wing Ding and had a great time. I even participated in the GWRRA sponsored Trike Course and had several items added to my Spyder by the Vendors that where there. If you like to meet people and have FUN then Wing Ding is the place for you.BTW I have been a GWRRA member since 2001 and currently my husband and I are the GWRRA Assistant District Directors for Maryland. We have many Spyder riders in our local chapters.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

I also say go if you have interest. Lot's of interesting people and things to do that are not strictly brand related.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We had a Spyder infestation at the Wing Ding in Hunstville, AL this past month. There must have been a couple dozen Spyders there. There were two from GA Chapter 'L', Rome, GA.

You should go if it's close to you. There were lots of vendors doing installs on Spyders as well.

I had a good time there as I'm a member because they have great trike training that has been adapted to Spyders. I took their course three years ago and I get a discount on my insurance.
    I also use the GWRRA discounts when staying at hotels for Spyder and other events I attend.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I decided it's time to update this discussion. I finally remembered to call and verify my camping reservation.

I AM GOING to Wing Ding 38 in Billings, MT, Aug 31 to Sep 3! I signed up for the Trike Rider Course. Should be interesting. To be close to the action and save money I decided to take my 'tent on a trailer' and camp at the MetraPark, wherever it is they set up for camping. RV parking area I guess.

Any other Spyder Lovers going to Wing Ding? Anyone else camping with RV, tent trailer, or otherwise? Maybe we can get them to let us group together in the RV park. We should have a little Spyder get together sometime during the event.

I'm thinking about making this a real August/September trip. Ride along Montana's great roads on the way to Wing Ding, visit son and family in eastern Iowa then Lions USA/Canada forum in Omaha Sep 15-17, then Spyders in the Ozarks Sep 22-24, then Red Rock Spyder Rally Sep 27-30, then home!

Hey, ain't retirement great!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're gonna have TONS of fun!

Spyder Garage

I won't be attending the duc rally on a Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you ARE attending; right?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But you ARE attending; right?
    Not if I attend SF

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've checked a couple of the previous threads but didn't find the kind of comments I'm looking for.

I've continued to be a member of the local chapter of GWRRA after switching to the Spyder from a GL1800. Wing Ding 2016 will be in Billings, MT which means it would be pretty easy for me to go to it. The problem I have is a "step child" feeling. I went to the Idaho District rally this past summer and had the only Spyder. It was a fairly small gathering so being the only one didn't surprise me. But what I have observed and experienced, both at the district rally and a couple of regional rally's, is not surprisingly the focus is almost 100% Goldwing and Valkyrie. Hence the step child feeling. I have lost 90%+ of my interest in GWs since becoming a Spyder lover. But Wing Ding will much, much bigger so I'm thinking the GW focus may be diluted a little bit.

So my question is for those who have attended Wing Dings these past couple of years; are there enough activities, seminars, vendors, etc., that are not Goldwing centric to make it a really enjoyable event for a committed Spyder owner? How much of the odd man out or step child feeling did you experience?

I really enjoy my association with Chapter T but not being a GW owner really does diminish the feeling of being a part of national and regional levels of GWRRA.

Your opinions, please. Thanks.

(Opinion) is relax & enjoy what you want.! Like everyone looking/drooling at you spyder.
    If you have a pic of your old wing you can put on the spyder (notation "upgrade from") may illustrate to others what got you started. Wing riders are usually better to approach than the die hard HD guys. But your not entering in a contest, just enjoying the wing ding & rides. & finding some less brand name venues to enjoy.https://www.bikesbluesandbbq.org
    be glad you not the one showing up in a slingshot & or be the first to pick on them when they do show up.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I and a friend will be on our Spyder at Wing Ding in Billings, Mt.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Not if I attend SF
    I can tell you that SpyderFest is going to be a TON of fun...
    I don't know about the others...

Spyder Garage

Default What to do at Wing Ding on a Spyder???

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I guess I didn't come across quite right! It's not the people I have a concern about, it's the focus of attention. For me, aside from the people, a major portion of belonging to GWRRA in the past was the common thread of all things Goldwing. With Spyder Ryders much the same. Without the common thread of Goldwings to tie all things together how much is there at Wing Ding, other than the people, to enjoy as a Spyder owner?
    EVERYTHING! To my knowledge as a GWRRA member and former TX District Director there is nothing you can't do on a Spyder that anyone else can do on a Goldwing. AS Bob said, there focus is on Goldwings and Valkyries, however one does not have to own a GW or Valk to be a full fledged member and participant. Most vendors that do stuff for GW also have stuff for the Spyders. I'll guarantee you'll see many Spyders and I'll also guarantee you'll spend most of your time answering questions about you're ride. There are a few of course that will look down their nose at you but most will be curious, because many are looking at the Spyder with much envy. I know, I was one of those. I still have my 1500/Motor Trike, but ride my 2015 F3S.
    Go, you'll have a great time!

Ken

Spyder Garage

We will be going just for the fun and experience, I've always been a leader with no followers, so being a minority isn't anything new to me.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.